Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detailing tips from Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
Moe, I too have a question. When you apply your wax, Do you apply it with your hands only? Rub the wax between your hands to warm it up and then apply to the machine that you are detailing? It would appear to me that you could really become one with your job if this is an accepted way to apply wax.. What are your thoughts, and thank you for your time in advance. Great thread as well. I find it informative and interesting especially for an older gentleman that finds it good therapy to detail my own cars.. Best regards, Kenny

Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SmoothCab
Moe, I too have a question. When you apply your wax, Do you apply it with your hands only? Rub the wax between your hands to warm it up and then apply to the machine that you are detailing? It would appear to me that you could really become one with your job if this is an accepted way to apply wax.. What are your thoughts, and thank you for your time in advance. Great thread as well. I find it informative and interesting especially for an older gentleman that finds it good therapy to detail my own cars.. Best regards, Kenny
Not all waxes are applied by "bare" hands. Zymol was the original wax company that started this technique because of the high concentration of raw carnauba in their waxes. If I'm using Zymol Estate Glazes such as Destiny or Vintage, I apply the wax with my bare hands. I really do become one with the car I recently began using einszett and it is applied with a pad, but I still polish and wax by hand. I like einszett very much and it's one of the finest synthetics out there. So at the end of the day, it all comes down to your philosophy and level of passion. I tell clients that Zymol is for the guy that wants to make love to his car. I'm offering einszett to my clients that want a great result without the time expenditure. So it's up to you how you want to care for your car. I'm just the guide that takes you down the journey you want to explore.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I had a client ask me about what to do with his clear film protection. He was given a can of Plexus and was told this will clean and protect. In my experience, Plexus doesn't really PROTECT. It's a great cleaner. My advice to him was to clean the film with a polish such as Zymol HD-Cleanse. You should immediately notice a difference in clarity, depth in color, and feel. You can then protect with a high quality carnauba spray like Zymol Field Glaze or einszett Detail. I hope this helps some of you guys.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Moe,

Fantastic thread!

Are you a fan of Zaino products?

Old 08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Moe,

Fantastic thread!

Are you a fan of Zaino products?
I've heard very good things about Zaino. I even have some clients that use it on the car I don't detail. I haven't taken the time to really use or study their products yet. I know it's a synthetic polymer. There are quite a few steps involved in the whole process. I like to keep things simple both for myself and clients. I find I get great result using my trinity technique: clay, polish, and wax. Does zaino have a similar technique of applying their product? I think at the end of the day, you should use whatever makes sense financially and labor wise. If you like the look of someone's car and they use xyz product, then do your homework on xyz, and use common sense. Most of the higher-end prosumer products will perform relatively the same anyway.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Moe,

I don't detail my own car. I have a gentleman who does it for me.

I saw pics of wross996TT's Zaino-ed cabrio and told my guy to Zaino my car because I was impressed with the shine of wross' car. My car is black just like wross'.

This are the steps he (my detailer) took.....

1) Wash.
2) Clay.
3) Polish using Menzerna PO85RD.
4) Follow up with Zaino Z5 Pro and then Zaino Z2.

wross996tt's thread.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=82442

Old 08-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Moe,

I don't detail my own car. I have a gentleman who does it for me.

I saw pics of wross996TT's Zaino-ed cabrio and told my guy to Zaino my car because I was impressed with the shine of wross' car. My car is black just like wross'.

This are the steps he (my detailer) took.....

1) Wash.
2) Clay.
3) Polish using Menzerna PO85RD.
4) Follow up with Zaino Z5 Pro and then Zaino Z2.

wross996tt's thread.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=82442
Exactly what I was talking about Go with what you like and enjoy the car.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks Moe. Cheers!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
stitchy is on a distinguished road
Wheel Wax

Moe, what is your opinion of wheel waxes? Specifically Wheel Wax the brand, but I think Rejex makes one too? Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
what do recommed to use as a so called "quick detailer" for the periods in between washes..

Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by stitchy
Moe, what is your opinion of wheel waxes? Specifically Wheel Wax the brand, but I think Rejex makes one too? Thanks!
Wheel waxes work well. Keep in mind that a lot of these polymers such as Rejex, zaino, ultima, etc. were designed for the paint, not the sever temperatures of the wheels. But, you get some protection. I like the simple application of Zymol Wheel Coat. It mists on and you walk away. This product will protect the wheels and give it a nice glow. If you have chrome wheels, you will notice little dots which is the dry wax. Simply wipe it off with a microfiber towel dampened by wheel coat.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Irvine 987
what do recommed to use as a so called "quick detailer" for the periods in between washes..
The two products I like are Zymol Field Glaze and einszett Detail Spray. The Field Glaze is a natural carnauba spray containg over 27% carnauba sap. This is what I recommend for you since we just used Zymol Destiny on your Boxster. To go the synthetic route, use einszett Detail as it's a polymer based spray and it contains an anti-dusting ingredient. It will give you more shine as the zymol will give you the signature "glow".

Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 PM
AmateurDetailer is on a distinguished road
Hi Moe,

I'm farily new here on the forum, but I've been reading posts on here for a while and you seem to know an awful lot about detailing (which makes sense I guess, since it's your job). I have two questions regarding the detailing process that I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

The car I detail is my father's, it's a black 2001 BMW 540i that he bought used. We live in Canada, so the weather here can be pretty harsh. The previous owner didn't take awesome care of it, so the paint is in rough shape in some areas, and there are some stone chips. I've been teaching myself the art of detailing, and I have a zymol kit with Clear, HD-Cleanse, applicators, towels, wheel cleaner, tyre, etc. as well as some Carbon and detail wax. Recently I used Zymol clay for the first time, and the results were awesome. Here's a picture of the car after a wash, clay, and wax:

It looks alright, but there are quite a few swirls in the clear if you look really closely under good lighting. SO, after all that, my two questions are:

1) I'm interested in getting a mechanical polisher and some good polish to get the finish mirror-smooth. What do you recommend for a mechanical polisher, and what compound do you recommend for use with it?

2) There are some stubborn tar spots on the wheels that no amount of rubbing with the zymol wheel gel will seem to get rid of. Any suggestions for a product that could get rid of it?

Thanks for hearing me out! Oh, and I must say that I really enjoy seeing your work on the forums. Keep it up sir!

Cheers

Last edited by AmateurDetailer; 09-06-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 AM
flash80 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AmateurDetailer
Hi Moe,

I'm farily new here on the forum, but I've been reading posts on here for a while and you seem to know an awful lot about detailing (which makes sense I guess, since it's your job). I have two questions regarding the detailing process that I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

The car I detail is my father's, it's a black 2001 BMW 540i that he bought used. We live in Canada, so the weather here can be pretty harsh. The previous owner didn't take awesome care of it, so the paint is in rough shape in some areas, and there are some stone chips. I've been teaching myself the art of detailing, and I have a zymol kit with Clear, HD-Cleanse, applicators, towels, wheel cleaner, tyre, etc. as well as some Carbon and detail wax. Recently I used Zymol clay for the first time, and the results were awesome. Here's a picture of the car after a wash, clay, and wax:

It looks alright, but there are quite a few swirls in the clear if you look really closely under good lighting. SO, after all that, my two questions are:

1) I'm interested in getting a mechanical polisher and some good polish to get the finish mirror-smooth. What do you recommend for a mechanical polisher, and what compound do you recommend for use with it?

2) There are some stubborn tar spots on the wheels that no amount of rubbing with the zymol wheel gel will seem to get rid of. Any suggestions for a product that could get rid of it?

Thanks for hearing me out! Oh, and I must say that I really enjoy seeing your work on the forums. Keep it up sir!

Cheers
detailing is not my job, but i'll try to answer....someone correct me if i'm being retarded:
1) I use a porter cable 7424. it's a random orbital polisher--probably better for beginners. With rotaries, you run the risk of eating through paint quickly. Random orbital polishers tend to be a bit "safer". In terms of compounds...I use the Mezerna line. For bad swirls the Intensive Polish (IP), then Final Polish II (FPII), followed by the glaze and FMJ (Full Molecular Jacket). I rarely use IP though.

2) You could try using clay to get rid of the tar. Someone else might have a better suggestion.

Good luck, the car looks pretty darn good. Your dad is lucky to have you around doing this stuff!!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:47 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by AmateurDetailer
Hi Moe,

Cheers
I first commend you on taking on this task. Correcting the finish on any car takes patience and a bit of technical know-how. With that said, here's the best solution. The paint on a BMW is usually Standox, one of the finest paints in the world. The solid black paint on a BMW is one of the most difficult to correct because of the color and hardness. A DA will improve imperfections, but to get it completely corrected, it should be high speed polished by a true professional detailer. If you want to give it a try here is a list of what you'll need:

1) Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
2) Menzerna NanoPolish 106FF
3) Lake Country CCS Orange Pad
4) Lake Country CCS White pad
5) Lake Country 148mm backing plate
6) DA polisher

I use SIP opposed to Intensive polish because it greatly reduces the dusting that IP has. The 106FF is a much better technology than the Final Polish and once again, less dusting. As far a final polish and wax, I use Zymol HD-Cleanse. You could also use P21S paint cleanser; einszett Paint Polish if you want a more glossy and shiny synthetic finish. As for wax, you have a myriad of choices when it come to Zymol, I wouldn't go below Concours. You already have Carbon, so just use it. When you run out, graduate to Concours. Another choice would be P21S paste wax. If synthetic, use einszett Glanz.

As far as tar goes, you can use 3M Bug and Tar remover or Zymol Strik. Clay might work but it's a bit messy of the tar is in large clumps. If the tar is small splatters here and there and it's already dry, try clay first.

Hope this answers your questions and good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Detailing tips from Moe