Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detailing tips from Moe

Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
calicoupe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The process is actually quite easy. After washing, you simply clay, polish, and wax. Then you have to maintain by washing and applying detail spray weekly or bi-monthly. By the way, depending on the quality of work, $200 isn't expensive at all. People need to realize that a proper detail on a car not needing too much work would take a professional about 4-6 hours and should be costing $300, and up, without machine polishing. For $200 bucks, not sure what quality products the detailer is using, if he has insurance, if he's paying taxes, etc. This is why there are so many fly-by-night detailers. In the beginning it's easy to charge $200 for a detail; but if you want to grow and be successful, you need to consider advertising, insurance, taxes, marketing, future development, etc. you realize a $200 detail will not make you enough money. I think it's great the enthusiasts decide to detail their own cars. This way they get an appreciation for the scope of work and why it cost what it does to do it right.
^^^ totally agree...good stuff Moe!

Old 10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
tone01 is on a distinguished road
hey moe i was wondering what polish would you recmend for polished lips on hre wheels mines has this haze to it that i can't get out i tried the mother alm polish and the 3m stuff but it still has this haze i can't get ride of

Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
TheSpeedDemon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tone01
hey moe i was wondering what polish would you recmend for polished lips on hre wheels mines has this haze to it that i can't get out i tried the mother alm polish and the 3m stuff but it still has this haze i can't get ride of
Tone, I am in the same boat as you and I believe it is because the polished lips have been clear coated. So when you attempt to get them to look brighter with aluminium polish, you really are not touching the aluminium but the clear coat, I could be wrong but my OZ's have the haze and I have been told they are clear coated.

So let's hear what Moe has to say about this, although he mentioned Rejex for my wheels and so I am wondering if that is the solution.

Moe ???

Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The only product I use to get the color back on aluminum is zymol Metall. It's an excellent product that is safe, effective, and natural.

Zymol Metall Britework Polish - Description

Chromed or plated surfaces need to be treated gently, so Zymol Metall Polish was developed specifically for automotive brightwork. Common brightwork metals include stainless steel, aluminium, nickel and others, all of which are susceptible to damage by salt corrosion, engine oils, acids and other environmental exposure. Zymol Metall Polish has a special blend of oils that gently remove the tarnish and discolouration caused by exposure to the elements.

I'll post a picture of an aluminum trim piece on a 1962 Mercedes 190SL that we are finishing. The results are amazing. Metall goes for $24.00 a can and each wipe will do 2 really bad wheels or all four wheels that need a touch up. If you have deeper scratches, a polish such as Menzerna Final Polish and a microfiber pad is recommended prior to cleaning with Metall.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
TheSpeedDemon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The only product I use to get the color back on aluminum is zymol Metall. It's an excellent product that is safe, effective, and natural.

Zymol Metall Britework Polish - Description

Chromed or plated surfaces need to be treated gently, so Zymol Metall Polish was developed specifically for automotive brightwork. Common brightwork metals include stainless steel, aluminium, nickel and others, all of which are susceptible to damage by salt corrosion, engine oils, acids and other environmental exposure. Zymol Metall Polish has a special blend of oils that gently remove the tarnish and discolouration caused by exposure to the elements.

I'll post a picture of an aluminum trim piece on a 1962 Mercedes 190SL that we are finishing. The results are amazing. Metall goes for $24.00 a can and each wipe will do 2 really bad wheels or all four wheels that need a touch up. If you have deeper scratches, a polish such as Menzerna Final Polish and a microfiber pad is recommended prior to cleaning with Metall.
Will this product work on clear coated aluminium ?

In reading the 'description' it is designed for chromed or plated surfaces (i.e. automotive brightwork). It talks about removing tarnish, which my wheels do not have and the wheels are in great shape. So I don't think this product wil do anything as it will not be touching the aluminium directly. It's like the clear coat is protecting the aluminium but leaving a haze in doing so.

So how do we get rid of the haze and polish the clear coat to where it looks like we actually polished the aluminium ?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Will this product work on clear coated aluminium ?

In reading the 'description' it is designed for chromed or plated surfaces (i.e. automotive brightwork). It talks about removing tarnish, which my wheels do not have and the wheels are in great shape. So I don't think this product wil do anything as it will not be touching the aluminium directly. It's like the clear coat is protecting the aluminium but leaving a haze in doing so.

So how do we get rid of the haze and polish the clear coat to where it looks like we actually polished the aluminium ?

Thanks in advance
You can polish the wheels using Menzerna Final Polish and a microfiber pad. This should remove minor hazing on the clearcoat of the wheels. You can then either use Metall to do the final polish, it's also great for the exhaust tips, or you can simply spray the zymol Wheel COat, a wax for the wheels, or you can use Rejex to wax the wheels.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:40 PM
FrankM is on a distinguished road
Can you use Concours on polished clean wheels? I've always waxed them after polishing but I've never used concours before.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by FrankM
Can you use Concours on polished clean wheels? I've always waxed them after polishing but I've never used concours before.
You can if you want, but I don't think a natural carnauba like concours will help the wheels any. You usually use a synthetic polymer as the technology in the polymers will help protect. If it were my wheels, I'd probably save the concours and use Rejex, or something similar.