GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

The Break In Question Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:20 PM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
The Break In Question Again

I've always subscribed to the varying engine speed for 500 miles strategy, rather than the below X for Y miles approach.

But, the one thing I'm not real sure about is how often the revs need to be varied? The reason I ask is that tomorrow afternoon i will be bringing the GT3 back from Carlsbad to Scottsdale. It's close to 400 miles. So, by the time I get home, it'll be mostly broken in.

Any reason why I can't just vary gears between 3 - 6 about every 10 miles or so? Go in 3rd for 10 miles, then 4th, then 5th, then 6th, and then back down? About every 40 miles I will have gone throug four gears and back down...

Or, maybe even go longer than 10 miles per gear?

Old 09-16-2004, 07:41 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Break In Question Again

Originally posted by racer63
I've always subscribed to the varying engine speed for 500 miles strategy, rather than the below X for Y miles approach.

But, the one thing I'm not real sure about is how often the revs need to be varied? The reason I ask is that tomorrow afternoon i will be bringing the GT3 back from Carlsbad to Scottsdale. It's close to 400 miles. So, by the time I get home, it'll be mostly broken in.

Any reason why I can't just vary gears between 3 - 6 about every 10 miles or so? Go in 3rd for 10 miles, then 4th, then 5th, then 6th, and then back down? About every 40 miles I will have gone throug four gears and back down...

I see no problem with the varying engine speed approach. I did that for a 1000 miles, but I did not redline it during that time. I really never went over 6K and when I did hit 6K it was not for long. I tried to generally keep it below 4500 during breakin...I have had zero oil consumption for the first 2400 miles, then changed the oil. Up to 4000 now and no oil consumption...

Old 09-17-2004, 03:39 AM
That's my plan. I should hit the road here in a few hours after the clear bra install is done. Can't wait!

Old 09-17-2004, 04:06 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Re: The Break In Question Again

Originally posted by racer63

That's a perfect approach -- it's all about varying the rpms. Also, if you can do some deceleration runs, say from 6k down to 2.5K rpms occasionally in various gears -- that also helps to seat the rings ideally for maximum power down the road.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 AM
Great. Thanks for the additional suggestion.

It's funny, I did the exact same thing with the new race motor for the M3 last year. Instead of attending the morning practice sessions, I drove to Yuma and back on a 1-day mechanical permit. LOL.

The engine has been very very strong ever since...

Old 09-21-2004, 07:58 AM
retsel75 is an unknown quantity at this point
GT-3 break-in

I don't know if you have already picked up the car. I have a GT-3 and in reading the operators manual it said that a long trip is O.K and that it did particularly indicate the need to vary the RPM. I broke mine in about 500 miles and the ran the long course at Pocano. I now have 2800 miles, mostly DE track miles and have not burned a drop of oil. I think you would no problems, just don't exceed 4000 RPM for at least 500/600 miles although the manual states 1000. Good luck, you will love this car the more you drive it.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Doc, enjoy the break in process in your fab new GT3! I can sense your excitement and it makes my day better! :-)

Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
I can smell your new car smell

I always thought breakin means lots of canyon runs where the tranny is constantly varying from turn to turn. A long drive on hwy 1 from socal<->norcal will do it

Old 09-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Oh man. That long drive up the 101 is something that I have been craving for years. One of these days I will do it. Best of all possibilities would be me and my son (only 3 now) taking a week to drive up the coast and back. Once he's old enough that is.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the assistance to all others who responded. I opted for the same approach as I used on the race engine. I started with varying RPMs over a lower spectrum (up to about 4200 at first) for the first couple hundred miles of the return home. As the trip wore on, I gradually increased revs. Still didn't go beyond 6K on the trip. Did some deceleration from various RPMs.

I'm now almost to the halfway point in break in after the long drive home plus a short trip on Sat. It rained Sun, and yesterday I had errands to run during work hours, so she sat. Will have her out again this am though. Plan to continue to up the revs slowly but surely until the end of the 1000 miles.