GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

LSD buster

Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I was looking at the Cup Diff, but decided against this as quite a few have broken the hats clean off, especially as I would be running it in the Turbo... So it was between the GT or trying to locate a RSR Diff and I managed to find one last week here in UK... I have had it inspected and it was given a clean bill of health, plates were ok, but might just fire some new ones in anyway.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Mikymu

I find it amusing you say you can do things with the GT3 that your M3 can do - with its stock M-diff.

You shoud look into getting a real data acquisition unit i.e. Traqmate (not u in front of your tv with a stopwatch lol) and a chase cam and see what lap times you are running and analyze where you can improve and what are your strong points and weak points on a track over a season.

Since you are coming from an E46 m3 that looks prepped, it would be interesting to see what lap times you are running with a GT3RS.

Nice write up

Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttrew
With Mikymu's great detailed post I was able to get my differential out in a little over 1 hour. (no wood blocks though, I have a low rise lift). Off it went to Matt who turned it around in 2 days. I went with a 6 plate configuration with a preload of about 90 pounds. The ramps are 50/80.

The fact that he can rebuild the stock diff with greatly improved parts is fantastic. When I put a Guard LSD in my previous 993, I had to have the rack to pinion spacing set by my local shop. They removed the transmission to do that and it cost well over $1k along with the cost of the LSD itself. By rebuilding the stock unit and reusing the factory cage, no spacing changed so I was able to do all the work myself at no cost other than the LSD rebuild. This is one very easy and relatively low cost improvement.
Hey Tom, Like I have said before, you must be a great mechanic. I am still trying to take my tires off after 1 hour lol. I love working on my car as much ... or even more than driving on the track. I tend to sip my tea, take couple photos and write some notes for DIY write up before moving to the next bolt. Wife was glad after I finally put the LSD back.

Yes, Matt will build the LSD to your specific need. 90 lbs-ft is pretty aggressive. money saving is the key in rebuilding the OEM LSD since no need to shim - just drop and go!

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
I was looking at the Cup Diff, but decided against this as quite a few have broken the hats clean off, especially as I would be running it in the Turbo... So it was between the GT or trying to locate a RSR Diff and I managed to find one last week here in UK... I have had it inspected and it was given a clean bill of health, plates were ok, but might just fire some new ones in anyway.
RSR diff ... wow, 200 lbs-ft preload?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:43 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
I must coment a thing

Becouse you only hade 2 lbs left of preload doesnt say you have a oppen diff, that has nothing to do with the lock up working or not, but you are right there should be the right preload in there

Old 01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SMR
I must coment a thing

Becouse you only hade 2 lbs left of preload doesnt say you have a oppen diff, that has nothing to do with the lock up working or not, but you are right there should be the right preload in there
lol, you know what I mean ... it's pretty darn close to an open diff. The rebuild LSD has been working great since install. No noise, no issue in wet road and does it's job w/o fuss

Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
No it not an open diff anyway, i still locks up but it will not work as it should but the lock is still there the preload has a diffrent job

Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
empty is on a distinguished road
^exactly, that measurement applies to the preload only, not the locking action of the diff under load, which is what the ramps apply

Old 01-02-2010, 01:17 PM
SMR
Originally Posted by empty
^exactly, that measurement applies to the preload only, not the locking action of the diff under load, which is what the ramps apply
Exaktly..

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SMR
No it not an open diff anyway, i still locks up but it will not work as it should but the lock is still there the preload has a diffrent job
Yes and no. As I tried to explain earlier in the thread the preload can be used as an indicator of wear on the LSD but low or high initial preload does have a different function and relationship to how the differential works.

I will try and explain it a little better. The reason that you can use the preload measurement as an indicator of the condition of the LSD is because it gives you an idea of how much wear the friction discs and plain plates have experienced. I'll make an example, though with made up ballpark numbers so that it's a little more clear.

Let's say that a GT3 LSD leaves the factory with a 1.3mm gap between the body and the stack height. If the differential wears .1mm and now has a 1.4mm gap the amount of preload that belleville washer provides is going to go down. That's something you can measure if you take the LSD apart but not something you can calculate while the LSD is in the car other than seeing that the preload number has changed because the stack is looser. Does that make sense? What we are seeing is that the latest variants of factory LSD's lose their ability to provide lock up with as little as .1mm of wear. For comparison, our LSDs generally require .4mm or more of wear before they stop locking.

Furthermore, it is correct to say that just because the preload on an LSD has dropped to zero it's not automatically true that the LSD is worn out. But in the case of these GT3 LSDs we're finding that it's a pretty good indicator. Because of how steep the cutouts are on the newest factory ramps, they just don't allow the crossshaft very much movement at all. Without much movement and the ability to push the ramps apart very far they aren't going to lock very well at all even with the bare minimum of wear.

However the real indicator that I trust more than any breakaway number is what the car owners are telling us. They are telling us they are experiencing wheelspin in corners where it wasn't present previously. They are telling us that their rear ends have gotten loose under hard breaking and on corner entry. It's what the drivers can feel that's a better indicator than any garage test we can come up with.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Matt got your email... will get back to you soon... inspecting 2nd gear anyway.

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  87.8 KB
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  101.6 KB

Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Well, since we're showing off...
Name:  IMG_2591.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  72.9 KB

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
both look a stunning bit of kit

Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Matt

LOL on showing off but your GT1 LSD looks mighty nice. Thanks for taking the time dissecting the question on preload and indication for LSD wear. It was easy to follow your explanation. I just wish I can get back on the track soon. I can only drive around the block so many times pretending I am on the track before I get bore out of my mind lol. Next event at Laguna is not till 2/1

Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
both look a stunning bit of kit
I am really impressed with the new billet cup car LSD bodies. They really are gorgeous.

I know you had this apart. Any chance it's still open and you can snap a shot of the ramps? I would also be interested in the number that's stamped into the edge of one of the four "clover" fingers on the ramps. I'm curious if they changed the ramp angles again on the newest ones.

Last edited by GTgears; 01-06-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mikymu
Matt

LOL on showing off but your GT1 LSD looks mighty nice. Thanks for taking the time dissecting the question on preload and indication for LSD wear. It was easy to follow your explanation. I just wish I can get back on the track soon. I can only drive around the block so many times pretending I am on the track before I get bore out of my mind lol. Next event at Laguna is not till 2/1
You've got it easy. I don't expect High Plains to be clear until well in to April.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: LSD buster