to tint or not to tint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
mwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the rough
Question to tint or not to tint?

generally, i don't like tint because night time visibility is reduced... for me. my wife says she sees perfectly fine out of her tinted windows (35%?). i don't think its really necessary up here in the pacnw due to the minimal sunshine we get but it does give a car a clean appearance and a little privacy.

what are your thoughts? i keep going back and forth.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
what kind and color of car?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
I am for tint. Much better looks and 35% really doesn't make visibility bad at all. I had 20% all around and was fine at night.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 PM
mwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the rough
white cayman. i'm leaning toward 35%.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
I see your dilemma.. I used to tint every car I owned.. however, now I find myself liking the non-tint look.. I have to see an actual photo of your Cayman to give you my opinion. the fact that it's white, raises the probability to go with tint (if it were black it would be a definite yes)... pics please
~T

Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
35% is very subtle and offers a bit of privacy and keeps a bunch of the UV out. I'd say sight at night is pretty much kept intact.

When you start going darker, it gets harder to see.... especially as you get older.

I actually prefer my sports cars without tint, but my NSX came with full dark tint. I'd kinda like to take it off and either replace it with light tint or none at all, but I've just been too lazy to look into it.

I just put 35% on my S4 and it's just about perfect. Would be nice to be a little darker, but I think I'd have some issues at night if I did.

35%:

Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
not mine, but it looks almost exactly like this (its bone stock). the only difference is i have the sport exhaust tips.

i called accutint bellevue and they seem to have a gambit of percentages to choose from. they recommended 20% but have both 30% and 35% in the pinnacle stuff (the 20% was their regular non-ceramic tint). not sure i could actually tell the difference between 30 and 35.

the s4 looks perfect w/ the 35%.

Last edited by mwy23; 04-07-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: resized HUGE pictures
Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mwy23

i called accutint bellevue and they seem to have a gambit of percentages to choose from. they recommended 20% but have both 30% and 35% in the pinnacle stuff (the 20% was their regular non-ceramic tint). not sure i could actually tell the difference between 30 and 35.

the s4 looks perfect w/ the 35%.
Wow, that's a pretty car. Yeah, for some reason the tint places always want to do 20%...they were pushing me to do 20% on my S4 as well. I had 20% on my GX470 front windows and it matched the SUV stock "tint" of the rears. However, it's dark... and it did make it harder to see out the front windows. (Aftermarket tint does not react the same as factory SUV tint in my experience).

So if you want that SUV look, you need to go 20%... if you want more subtle, go lighter.... and don't forget, stock windows are not 0%... so even a 35% tint equals something like 30-32% overall.

This was my GX with 20% front, stock rest.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I've got 20% on my S4 and love it. It's not overly dark, hasn't gotten me any static from the police, and has decent night time visibilty.

I always say go with tint.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by StorminS4
I've got 20% on my S4 and love it. It's not overly dark, hasn't gotten me any static from the police, and has decent night time visibilty.

I always say go with tint.
Yeah, I bet that looks good.... I just didn't want to risk the "night thing"... I'm starting to get old!

Here's another shot of the 35% in the overcast... looks way darker. Did my tails as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
+1 voting for tint on that car. I am a fan of tinting. It's beautiful either way though.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
TFletch is on a distinguished road
Good point regarding where you live. In South Florida, tinting is almost a necessity to protect the interior. For appearance purposes, I prefer the non-tint look tho.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I had Accutint install a 20% on my S4. They recommended it over the 35% since my car has the 'Silk Nappa" which is a fancy name for off white leather.

I now wish I had gone w/ the 35% - I have to back up my driveway and it isn't lit well so I have to roll down my window to get a decent view.

I actually prefer the 911 without tint. Black car, black interior and black wheels - having a dark tint would be too much IMO.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lig
I had Accutint install a 20% on my S4. They recommended it over the 35% since my car has the 'Silk Nappa" which is a fancy name for off white leather.

I now wish I had gone w/ the 35% - I have to back up my driveway and it isn't lit well so I have to roll down my window to get a decent view.

I actually prefer the 911 without tint. Black car, black interior and black wheels - having a dark tint would be too much IMO.
I'm gonna tell Todd! LOL! Hehehehe!

Hey Lig! Nice to see your post! LTNS! Hope all is well...

Sorry...thread jack.

Back to scheduled programming.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Oops! Good to hear from you too. I hope you and Todd are well - crazy times with the new job. Hard work but it'll be worth it.

FWIW - Todd can get away with it as he looks much *ahem* more youthful than me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to tint or not to tint?