Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Panamera Turbo - NIGHTMARE! Anyone else having issues with this model?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 AM
9917S is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for sharing this information, it is very useful. Have you had any other problems?

Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Yankee is on a distinguished road
Yep. Its a Panamera so the usual bag is issues. Engine vibration which is awaiting the Camshaft controller related recall, suspension creaks, acceleration surge when pulling away from stop etc etc. My rotors have cracked at 50k miles and are due for a replacement. Still love the car though.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:08 PM
James Piccolo is an unknown quantity at this point
Yankee! Thanks so much for the tips. Love my PPT too. I already had the crank sensor done and now 4k miles later this. Error. Again thank so much!

Old 05-22-2018, 03:52 AM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ophtho
Braking while turning at low speed. Its so annoying!!! I've complained about it until I'm blue in the face. The service guy said "there will be some noise" but this is pathetic.

Exactly the same issue and the same 'conclusion' I got from dealer +3 years ago after brakes were dismantled couple times ...

Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 AM
WPI94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Someone mentioned the $1700 coolant fix- which was DIY tap and assemble it for $5? WTH.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:36 AM
rog2961 will become famous soon enough
Would plugging the hole prevent this? Seems the fix in addition to plugging the hole would completly orevent this type of issue.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:45 AM
Ru1117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thermostat housing

Originally Posted by Yankee
I was smelling some sort of burnt oil from the front pass wheel well side. Could not smell it in the engine compartment with the hood open. Smell is strongest thru the front right wheel well. The burnt oil smell is not like engine oil. It smells more caustic, very different. Had been noticing some oily spray on the steering rack and then near where the front right axle connects to the differential. I thought it was leaking grease from the axle. Took it apart, cleaned and repacked it. For the last 1000 miles I started hearing a faint grinding noise. When I did the work on the axle I also replaced the wheel bearing. So I thought maybe its a faulty wheel bearing. Finally took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it to be a coolant leak. The quote for this work was $4600. I do not have warranty (don't ask why). They also said the grinding noise is from the transmission and it cannot be fixed - only replacement. Cost of tranny alone is $8700 + labor.

So I did what i usually do. DIY. The starter motor seems to be the culprit for the grinding noise. They was so much muck in there. I guess the coolant leak makes it to the starter and the crankcase (see picture). Then along wth dust and the coolant it makes a big mess. The red and yellow arrows are the pipes you are talking about. The red pipe in my engine is actually shaking a little bit. I'm also going to replace the green arrow one just to be safe. Porsche has an upgraded part for these.

Guys, please do yourself a favor and check that pipe. It should be solid with no shake. If it does then be prudent and have it addressed.

The leak goes to the valley below the intake manifold, affects the starter and drains into the crankcase (green arrow). Why they designed it this way is beyond me. Why would they drain that into the crankcase is baffling. It is downright stupidity.

Hopefully replacing the 2 pipes, thermostat and housing (though not required), sensor and seals will put me behind all this. Planning to swap out the starter as well even though it is working. Starting sounds were getting kind of noisy and seemed to be getting worse. I'm kind of glad I caught it
in time instead of a coolant dump in the middle of a long trip. Once I'm done I'll do a short write up.
Hey ,
Yankee

Do I have to put screws in both pipes that go in the thermostat housing . I see you only put one .

Old 03-11-2021, 04:59 PM
shrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud of
Putting screws in the pipe is not the correct or safe way of doing the repair. The parts can be had for $300-$400 or so and it's not a difficult DIY. Do it right, do it once. The poor man pays twice.