Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noise

Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DNICE357
I'll chime in again on this matter. I've had everything done to the front suspension and after getting my Panny back this last time, the noise is much better, but still not fully gone. As I mentioned, I drive my Panny 90% on weekends only, but when I do drive it certain driving tactics scare me because I just know that the noise will be there. Right now, if I make a sharp turn with the front wheels turn at full angle, the suspension sounds like it's about to just fall out. It's even worse when on slick surface, like now when we are getting a few drops of rain here in Cali. You all may just want to try this and see if you get the same results. You can even back out of a driveway and turn the wheel sharp right or left, or try making a very sharp U-turn and see what you hear. I thought maybe this may be because my tread is low (have about 4K left), but I know it can't be just the tires. Now, as for the other noises, I really have not heard much else, except for the rear hatch on occasion but I can for sure live with that. But I do a lot of highway driving when I do drive, and my music is blasting so maybe I'm drowning out all the other noises
So, as for now I guess I'm OK with driving my Panny, but I honestly can say that I would probably not purchase another one unless I drove it for a while to confirm these "normal" noises are no longer present. I know for sure the front end noise is no way normal. I have Hondas, Acuras, and even a Jeep Wrangler and have never been to the dealer for more issues combined than I have with my Panny! I love the Panny, but honestly $100K plus on a car should not warrant such issues and concerns.

You bought a panny as a week end car? That is a strange choice....

Old 02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
DNICE357 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by speedsterr
You bought a panny as a week end car? That is a strange choice....
Not sure about strange, but it was a choice. I have other cars (Jeep, Acuras, ) and I work from home so I really don't have a "daily driver."

Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
MackSea is on a distinguished road
Mine's back in the shop this week for the rear end creak, erratic tach needle and to resolve the damage the dealer did to the wheels on the last visit. Hope to know more soon.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
MackSea, good luck buddy. I feel your frustration.

I met with the factory rep last Friday. Nice guy. After a brief drive together, I return next Monday as he had dealer order a complete strut assembly and lower control arm for driver front. This is in attempt to fix the clunk noise from a stop. The clunking/linkage noises heard coming to a stop he said was the PDK downshifting. Could be, but I don't hear this in other Panamera's I've driven nor has anyone responded yes to my thread asking if this was noticeable in other forums members cars. There is also substantial pinging in the engine. He ordered a decarbonization of the engine, whatever that means. I have two pings. One is a more constant pinging and the other is a much louder short term ping at certain times. While we didn't get to address some of the other issues like the rear crunching, he told me these noises are normal, for the most part. Im still working on a more satisfactory resolution encompassing most or all of the issues. Regarding interior noises, he wants them to be more consistent before he tackles them. Despite my having audio recordings illustrating them, I guess if I only have it occur 1/2 the time, that's acceptable in their eyes. Lol. In all fairness, the dash would have to be removed and replaced to attempt to fix these. I'm not find of that idea, nor was he. Dilemma.

On a side note, the Michelin PSS I inquired about came in to tire dealer. Asked me if I still wanted them. Told him yes, depending on outcome of my next service.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by wassy
MackSea, good luck buddy. I feel your frustration.

I met with the factory rep last Friday. Nice guy. After a brief drive together, I return next Monday as he had dealer order a complete strut assembly and lower control arm for driver front. This is in attempt to fix the clunk noise from a stop. The clunking/linkage noises heard coming to a stop he said was the PDK downshifting. Could be, but I don't hear this in other Panamera's I've driven nor has anyone responded yes to my thread asking if this was noticeable in other forums members cars. There is also substantial pinging in the engine. He ordered a decarbonization of the engine, whatever that means. I have two pings. One is a more constant pinging and the other is a much louder short term ping at certain times. While we didn't get to address some of the other issues like the rear crunching, he told me these noises are normal, for the most part. Im still working on a more satisfactory resolution encompassing most or all of the issues. Regarding interior noises, he wants them to be more consistent before he tackles them. Despite my having audio recordings illustrating them, I guess if I only have it occur 1/2 the time, that's acceptable in their eyes. Lol. In all fairness, the dash would have to be removed and replaced to attempt to fix these. I'm not find of that idea, nor was he. Dilemma.

On a side note, the Michelin PSS I inquired about came in to tire dealer. Asked me if I still wanted them. Told him yes, depending on outcome of my next service.
Wassy - I think we have sister cars. Couple of things. 1) I think when you get those lower control arms on your front end will quiet down - that was the final step on mine. 2) I've been listening for the downshift clunk you describe - and I think it's there, but I'd accept that as normal - all transmissions would make that noise. 3) your comment about engine pinging is interesting - because I just heard pinging for the first time yesterday - very sharp and loud twice. You wouldn't happen to have a wiggly tach needle would you (thinking this is going to be a sensor/coil issue).

As far as decarbonization - we used to do that on our 2 stroke boat engines. I would NOT expect to have to do it to a modern engine - but then again, as much Mobil 1 as these engines drink, I guess it's no surprise.

As for interior noises - I haven't even gone down the path. At least those I can drown out with the burmester.

I've pretty much made up my mind, I'm done with the car. Obviously it's the best driving car I've personally owned, but I'm not willing to deal with this for a daily driver.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MackSea
Wassy - I think we have sister cars. Couple of things. 1) I think when you get those lower control arms on your front end will quiet down - that was the final step on mine. 2) I've been listening for the downshift clunk you describe - and I think it's there, but I'd accept that as normal - all transmissions would make that noise. 3) your comment about engine pinging is interesting - because I just heard pinging for the first time yesterday - very sharp and loud twice. You wouldn't happen to have a wiggly tach needle would you (thinking this is going to be a sensor/coil issue).

As far as decarbonization - we used to do that on our 2 stroke boat engines. I would NOT expect to have to do it to a modern engine - but then again, as much Mobil 1 as these engines drink, I guess it's no surprise.

As for interior noises - I haven't even gone down the path. At least those I can drown out with the burmester.

I've pretty much made up my mind, I'm done with the car. Obviously it's the best driving car I've personally owned, but I'm not willing to deal with this for a daily driver.
If you have to listen for the PDK clunks, and/or you "think" it's there, Mine must be far worse. You can't miss it (unless radio is on).. it's 1, 2 sometimes 3 clunks. I don't see it being in sync with the numerical gear display on gauge, as the rep stated it was doing, but nonetheless, it bothers me enough.

Unfortunately, he is only replacing the driver front lower control arm. I asked for both but I guess declined. I also have the crunching in the rear, along with the hatch knocking sound. I'm just at a loss here.. Like you, I love the car, the drive etc. I bought this one because I fell in love with my first Panamera and wanted another. For me, it's hard to overlook many of these issues, but I've been trying. I've sent a couple emails to the rep and I hope he considers my perspective and we can work together at a suitable solution. In the interim, I'm envying those whose Panamera's are the awesomeness I expected. Happy motoring!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
2010 PTT - when cold had a loud crunching noise in front end going over speed bumps. Upper and lower arms replaced, crunching noise gone now with speed bumps . However, now with a creaking noise when turning wheel and going up/over an incline; such as entering a driveway. Different from front end noise that i had before - ugh - back to dealer? Not sure what it is now.....
Aggravated

Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by bobolouie
2010 PTT - when cold had a loud crunching noise in front end going over speed bumps. Upper and lower arms replaced, crunching noise gone now with speed bumps . However, now with a creaking noise when turning wheel and going up/over an incline; such as entering a driveway. Different from front end noise that i had before - ugh - back to dealer? Not sure what it is now.....
Aggravated
It took a combination of things to quiet my front end down. In addition to upper and lower control arms, took sway bar bushings and finally sway bar end links to kill the noise.

Are you sure you're not hearing tire skip? Mine did that when backing out of my driveway in the morning (cold air, cold tires). Everyone says it is normal for Porsche and maybe because of AWS (had a 4S). Interestingly, my BMW 550 with x drive does not skip the front tires having driven it even in single digit temps and the BMW has almost as much tire on the road as the Porsche.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM
It took a combination of things to quiet my front end down. In addition to upper and lower control arms, took sway bar bushings and finally sway bar end links to kill the noise.

Are you sure you're not hearing tire skip? Mine did that when backing out of my driveway in the morning (cold air, cold tires). Everyone says it is normal for Porsche and maybe because of AWS (had a 4S). Interestingly, my BMW 550 with x drive does not skip the front tires having driven it even in single digit temps and the BMW has almost as much tire on the road as the Porsche.
Thanks Macksea - i think i will need to go in to have the sway bars checked. The noise is a definite suspension creak i think - the tire skipping is more of a thump; whcih i have heard before at low speeds when cold. I too never heard it on my 5 series, maybe it has to do with alignment

I wonder - once i get this sorted out - will it crop up again in another year or 2?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by bobolouie

I wonder - once i get this sorted out - will it crop up again in another year or 2?
I asked my SA this exact question - I had about 26k on my car when these issues came up and asked if I should expect to replace all these same parts around 50k (and outside of warranty). His response? Yep. Invoice I saw for control arms alone was 1500 each! This was one of the reasons I decided to get out of the car.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM
I asked my SA this exact question - I had about 26k on my car when these issues came up and asked if I should expect to replace all these same parts around 50k (and outside of warranty). His response? Yep. Invoice I saw for control arms alone was 1500 each! This was one of the reasons I decided to get out of the car.
Hmmm - so this raises a few questions -
1) why doesn't everyone have this issue?
2) Are the new parts redesigned?
3)Was this fixed in later model cars?

Just glad my warrenty is for 2 more years..............

Old 07-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Wang is on a distinguished road
Bump

2014 Pan Turbo. Same problem from new... It's been in to the dealer 3 times and they're still looking for the problem....

Old 10-08-2014, 02:23 PM
SoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Same thing on my 2011 PTT

Started off as small creak, then some bangs.

Upper and lower control arms being replaced, new bushings. Been in the the shop for 2 days. Hopefully I will get it back today. I had some new tires installed while this was being fixed, Michelin Pilot Super Sport from Tirerack. 31K on the odometer.

My loaner is a black Panamera 2014 V6 black 20 inch TurboII wheels. Pretty quick off the line, no passing power on the freeway.

Last edited by SoCalPamTurbo; 10-08-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:19 PM
SoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Still in the shop, day 4. They decided to replace the sway bars as well. Stay tuned.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Not going to be ready today. Service Rep told me that the noise is still there.

Lower and Upper control arms replaced on Front L&R
Bushings replaced on Front L&R
Sway bar replaced
Everything re torqued

They are now looking at the strut to see if there is anything going on there. Any other suggestions? BTW I have air suspension.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end noise