Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:22 PM
bornagain1973 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SoCalPamTurbo
Not going to be ready today. Service Rep told me that the noise is still there.

Lower and Upper control arms replaced on Front L&R
Bushings replaced on Front L&R
Sway bar replaced
Everything re torqued

They are now looking at the strut to see if there is anything going on there. Any other suggestions? BTW I have air suspension.
Any idea on what this costs?
I just got a 2010 4s with about 35k on it.. and I hear some creaks from the front right side

Old 10-13-2014, 05:27 PM
SoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to behold
It's Day 6 and the car is still in the shop. Not sure what else they are doing, haven't had an update since last Thursday. I told the service rep, don't give me the car back until the noise is gone. Don't know the cost, it's under warranty so it's covered. Once I get the service write up, I'll let you know what it may cost if I didn't have it covered.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:58 PM
DNICE357 is on a distinguished road
Been there before... now it's back

I've had everything done previously that you had done, and the noise has returned in my Panny. I'm still under warranty so I'm going to take it back. I'm pretty sure they will respond that they can't determine what the issue is, but that's not going to fly.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 AM
SoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to behold
It maybe done today.

Not going to be ready today. Service Rep told me that the noise is still there.

Lower and Upper control arms replaced on Front L&R
Bushings replaced on Front L&R
Sway bar replaced
Everything re torqued

They are now looking at the strut to see if there is anything going on there. Any other suggestions? BTW I have air suspension.

Day 7. They are now replacing the struts. Will take about 4 to 5 hours they say. We'll see if this finally eliminates the noise.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Yankee is on a distinguished road
The quarter panel also creaks sometimes. If you have the creaking noise you can actually gently press the front quarter panel on the top side and you should hear it. It seems to be around where the headlight meets the body. I haven't heard it since the weather got warmer. After re-torqing the suspension my noises have gone but am afraid winter will bring them back.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Day 9. Going to pick up the car tonight. They claim that the noise is gone. We'll see if this is really true.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Got it back last night, drove it around for about 10 miles and 15 miles this morning. No suspension noise. PDK feels faster and overall the car feels buttoned down. 9 Days in the shop and it looks like there was a lot of work done.

Workup sheet was 7 pages long. In addition what I mentioned before in this thread they did the following:

Reprogrammed the DME control unit and PDK
Air spring strut replaced
Air Bellows drained and filled
Upper Trailing Arm replaced
Lower Trailing Arm replaced
Connecting Rod Stabilizer replaced
Stabilizer Bearing replaced
Steering angle sensor adjusted
Front axle carrier fastened
Tie rod removed and reinstalled
Removed Right Strut and replaced
4 wheel alignment - 2 times

This was the interesting one:
Removed cover for cabin
Removed glove compartment
Removed cross panel
Insert felt between dash and cross panel
Insert cloth between front lid hinge, adjust front lid rubber stopper
Remove cowl panel, loosened and tightened

Service advisor mentioned that some noise was coming from the interior as well.

I'll see how this feels over time. Since I had a 2014 Panamera as a loaner, I really got a feel of how the front end should really react. So far so good.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the Update

I appreciate the info on this. There were a lot of things done to your ride and hopefully it resolved the issue. I am going to take this laundry list of things to my dealer and have them go over all them. Hopefully I can get this resolved once and for all.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 AM
So far so good

Originally Posted by DNICE357
I appreciate the info on this. There were a lot of things done to your ride and hopefully it resolved the issue. I am going to take this laundry list of things to my dealer and have them go over all them. Hopefully I can get this resolved once and for all.
I hope the info helps. I've had it back for a few days now and no noise. Feels rock solid and the PDK is shifting faster. I went to BH Porsche in Los Angeles and my service advisor knows me pretty well. I basically told him, keep the car as long as you need, but I better not get it back with the noise or I'll call PCNA. BTW, the new tires I put on are awesome as well.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks again for the updates.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:40 PM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wassy
Bottom line is Porsche has an issue on their hands and I believe they should step up to the plate, acknowledge it and have an engineering crew find a proper fix. I agree with above, I've had many performance cars and none who it this behavior. What's worse is being told it's weather related. That may be true to some extent but really? Do they only sell cars to warm climate buyers? It's been a few years this issue has been present. Time to fix it.
I'm having the same issue - have had the control arms replaced and had a noticable improvement in handling but still noise. Will be going back soon. I'm glad the service manager takes good care of me - can't imagine what it would be to have to fight through this.

I'm wondering if I'm seeing a pattern with Porsche though - I have this issue and the whistling issue (and a key fob issue that seems to be unique to my 2011) - but beyond that the Macans with their issues and the 996 with its IMS issues. Rather than recall and fix I think Porsche is just looking at the cars that people complain about. I'd prefer a proactive approach - I suspect possibly would hurt profits - but this is a premium brand! Are all premiums like this?

Anyway love the way they drive (Porsches) but wondering about the approach to fixes with common (and sometimes serious) problems.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:05 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Got it back last night, drove it around for about 10 miles and 15 miles this morning. No suspension noise. PDK feels faster and overall the car feels buttoned down. 9 Days in the shop and it looks like there was a lot of work done.

Workup sheet was 7 pages long. In addition what I mentioned before in this thread they did the following:

Reprogrammed the DME control unit and PDK
Air spring strut replaced
Air Bellows drained and filled
Upper Trailing Arm replaced
Lower Trailing Arm replaced
Connecting Rod Stabilizer replaced
Stabilizer Bearing replaced
Steering angle sensor adjusted
Front axle carrier fastened
Tie rod removed and reinstalled
Removed Right Strut and replaced
4 wheel alignment - 2 times

This was the interesting one:
Removed cover for cabin
Removed glove compartment
Removed cross panel
Insert felt between dash and cross panel
Insert cloth between front lid hinge, adjust front lid rubber stopper
Remove cowl panel, loosened and tightened

Service advisor mentioned that some noise was coming from the interior as well.

I'll see how this feels over time. Since I had a 2014 Panamera as a loaner, I really got a feel of how the front end should really react. So far so good.
How old is your ptt and was this all covered under warranty?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:59 AM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Logimind
Its like if you spend more money ona car you can expext problems.. Buy a zub zero fridge or a wolf range and you will make friends out of reps in their service dept..
I am now friends with the Service Manager Makes sense - Really though,
I realize anything can have problems - its more the way the repairs occur. I would think a campaign for dealers to at a min check the bushings -- or just replace as it seems more like a matter of when, not if.

I am sure the cost is not low, but like you mentioned its a premium brand...

Last edited by cheetos72; 12-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 AM
donzi doug is on a distinguished road
"Rather than recall and fix I think Porsche is just looking at the cars that people complain about. I'd prefer a proactive approach - I suspect possibly would hurt profits - but this is a premium brand! Are all premiums like this?"

Avoiding media attention would be top priority and recalls to attract attention and become a matter of record. But I believe taking care of the individual is important to them as well.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Nick_GT will become famous soon enough
I had noises in the front of my PTT too. We changed steering rack (part number 970347011QX) and it's helped.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end noise