Notices
Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche

Front end noise

Old 11-06-2015, 06:35 AM
allroadusa has a spectacular aura aboutallroadusa has a spectacular aura about
Juste a small testimony on this topic. As my PTT had to renew the Porsche Approved warranty, I mentioned a front noise over bumps.
It took a long time for fixing it. 3 weeks in the shop and they changed everything : lower and upper control arms, sway bar and finally air struts.
So far so good, noise is gone. PTT is good to go for one another year of PA.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:42 PM
skidmarkz is on a distinguished road
Just got my 2013 with 17k miles on it back for the same issue. Seems like the clunk over bumps is gone now - they found the bushings on the upper control arms to be bad/loose.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 PM
PV=nRT. can only hope to improve
The website InsaneGarage.com has a post that may seems to address the front end noise issue. (I have just scanned this thread so I apologize if it is previously mentioned or it is off base to the thread). That post and related issues are also addressed in the following video:

The InsaneGarage post is at 35 min 38 sec in the video.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:56 AM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MackSea View Post
Are you sure you're not hearing tire skip? Mine did that when backing out of my driveway in the morning (cold air, cold tires). Everyone says it is normal for Porsche and maybe because of AWS (had a 4S). Interestingly, my BMW 550 with x drive does not skip the front tires having driven it even in single digit temps and the BMW has almost as much tire on the road as the Porsche.
Yes, I've had tire slipping when making full turn on wet road when air started almost freezing and I still had summer tires with only 4mm thread. Changed to new winter tires and no slipping anymore at the same scenario.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by bornagain1973 View Post
I just got a 2010 4s with about 35k on it.. and I hear some creaks from the front right side
creaks when turning ? I hope I have found the reason .... Was twice at Porsche dealer/service and twice they reported to me that suspension is ideal ... So for Porsche it means ideal ? Or its ideal while is covered by warranty ?!

Last edited by negb; 11-06-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Porsche confirmed that this drive shaft play is normal, and it has to be like that, and it can be very different on other side ... I'm

Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 AM
verdugo135 is on a distinguished road
I've got an 11 4s that I just picked up and had the same distinctive noises up front, especially when cold, especially in the morning. Mine sounds like an old spring mattress. Luckily it has a CPO warranty from previous owner. They are replacing upper and lower control arms up front. Lets hope this fixes the issue.

On another note, I also mentioned an erractic tach needle to the service tech. At cruising speeds, the needle sort of wiggles up and down, though I don't feel the engine surging. Anyone else had this happen to them?

Old 11-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Have you checked drive shafts/front differential what is shown in my videos ?

Last edited by negb; 11-14-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:20 PM
XLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by verdugo135 View Post
They are replacing upper and lower control arms up front. Lets hope this fixes the issue.
Make sure they check and/or replace the sway bar bushings. They are a known culprit.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:31 AM
Lboogie78 is on a distinguished road
I have a 970TT and i've notice in the am esp when its kind of cold outside when i drive over speed bumps my cars makes a kind of noise.. is this bad? I have the air shocks.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:27 AM
CLKFAN is on a distinguished road
After reading through this thread I noticed that all of you have all wheel drive cars and air suspension PTT and 4s. Did I miss any rear wheel drive cars here?

Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Big_Tex is an unknown quantity at this point
RWD here and no air suspension. Just bought a 2010 S, 61k miles on it. Lovely car but lots of front end clunks. Going to live with it for now but will be addressed in time.

Last edited by Big_Tex; 01-05-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Panamerian is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CLKFAN View Post
After reading through this thread I noticed that all of you have all wheel drive cars and air suspension PTT and 4s. Did I miss any rear wheel drive cars here?
Yes. 2013 S in the shop right now for control arms and sway bar bushings. I do have the air suspension.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:49 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
Seems like I’ll be joining you guys with this issue. I have a 2015 Panamera 4S with 49K miles and I have the clunky noise from the front end while driving slow and turning. I will call the dealer and schedule to bring it in and start the process...

Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM
ciaka is a glorious beacon of lightciaka is a glorious beacon of lightciaka is a glorious beacon of lightciaka is a glorious beacon of lightciaka is a glorious beacon of lightciaka is a glorious beacon of light
Most likely clunking coming out of lower control arms bushings being shot. Hard to tell but possible.
Squeaking is most likely due to upper control arms bushings shot. These are usually the ones on either side of shock and very difficult to detect damage as they are squeezed between metal and you cannot look between at the rubber.

From my experience sway bar bushings are last to cause this. They have so little room to move, and are very tight already.

I am sure your dealer will tell you both, if you have these noises.

Originally Posted by LGARCIA View Post
Seems like Iíll be joining you guys with this issue. I have a 2015 Panamera 4S with 49K miles and I have the clunky noise from the front end while driving slow and turning. I will call the dealer and schedule to bring it in and start the process...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Front end noise

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.