Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:13 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
Driven 350 miles and gone over speed bumps and rough pavement and so far everything is nice and quiet. I just installed 22 inch wheels too and I haven’t heard anything. I hope that it’s fixed!
Thanks to this thread I went to the dealer well informed.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:04 AM
Andy Chan is an unknown quantity at this point
Never believe them the noises are normal!

I have my 2010 Panamera bought at 50K miles, a lot of noises from front, centre and back....when sitting inside the car. I got the followings replaced and ALMOST all sounds gone and issues cured:

2 x Front suspensions unit replaced
2 x Rear suspension unit replaced
Engine and Transmission Bushes replaced (all together 3)
2 x Front Sway bar link replaced
All front Upper and Lower Control Arms replaced
2 x Rear Control Arms replaced

95% of abnormal sounds disappeared, but unfortunately, a new sound created. When I turn my steering wheel to the right, almost reaching the end, it makes a LOUD METAL CRACKING SOUND, only once, not continuous sounds. Either the car is stationery or in very low speed, especially when going in and out of a parking space.

So, the noises are always able to cure, NEVER accept them as NORMAL. However, I would like to get a solutions for the loud metal cracking sound, anyone has idea?

Old 02-08-2021, 12:12 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Maybe you should raise front off ground, remove pass sde wheel, start car and turn to try replicate issue. Could be some cable or hose is binding, or is being limited in some way. I would start with that.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:39 PM
rog2961 will become famous soon enough
I am having this exact same problem but in my case when I hear the metal creaking noise I lose alignment. Whole front end has been replaced except inner tie rods. Did upper and lower arms, sway bar bushings, end links, and New hardware for the lower arms. I've been through 4 alignments now and it never holds for very long. The only thing I haven't touched is the subframe bolts to check if they are tight. Make no sense why both of us had issues show up after installing all new stuff.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Andy Chan
Never believe them the noises are normal!

I have my 2010 Panamera bought at 50K miles, a lot of noises from front, centre and back....when sitting inside the car. I got the followings replaced and ALMOST all sounds gone and issues cured:

2 x Front suspensions unit replaced
2 x Rear suspension unit replaced
Engine and Transmission Bushes replaced (all together 3)
2 x Front Sway bar link replaced
All front Upper and Lower Control Arms replaced
2 x Rear Control Arms replaced

95% of abnormal sounds disappeared, but unfortunately, a new sound created. When I turn my steering wheel to the right, almost reaching the end, it makes a LOUD METAL CRACKING SOUND, only once, not continuous sounds. Either the car is stationery or in very low speed, especially when going in and out of a parking space.

So, the noises are always able to cure, NEVER accept them as NORMAL. However, I would like to get a solutions for the loud metal cracking sound, anyone has idea?
For some reason this happens only when I turn right too. Changed pretty much the same parts you did. Did you get new eccentric bolts when you did all the work? I thought it was my bolts stretching but I changed those out and it only helped slightly. I even put loctite on the bolts and it didn't help.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:51 PM
It was the steering rack

If anyone ever has this issue after dumping a bunch a money into the suspension. It's the steering rack bushings. I'm guessing after you replace everything it moves the geometry back into the correct place and causes the rack to move. Porsche doesn't sell the bushings separately so it's custom or new steering rack.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:24 PM
PSPanameraS is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rog2961
For some reason this happens only when I turn right too. Changed pretty much the same parts you did. Did you get new eccentric bolts when you did all the work? I thought it was my bolts stretching but I changed those out and it only helped slightly. I even put loctite on the bolts and it didn't help.
I had the exact same problem. Replaced front upper and lower control arms which improved things but still had the cracking sound while turning and only in reverse and only while turning right. Eventually the Porsche dealership diagnosed a faulty right wheel bearing, replaced it, and the car has run without any suspension noises since. I can dig up my invoice and get the exact part number replaced if you are interested.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:44 AM
Looks like it's the steering rack bushings. I'm going to inject them with some urethane or epoxy before spending 1200 on a rack. Porsche doesn't sell the bushings separately.