Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Noise

Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Suspension Noise

This is a heads-up for everybody that has a pre-2015 Panamera.

My car has made a 'crunch' noise ONLY when I drive through the parking bumps at the airport. Cold car sitting for several days, indoor parking, drive out over the speed bumps, significant noise from the suspension.

It hasn't affected the handling of the car, and this is the ONLY time I can hear this noise. Perhaps if I had some similar speed bumps around home I would have heard it more. Arriving at 50,000 miles, I decided to make sure it wasn't a problem that I would have to pay for later.

I've read quite a few threads on the subject, and I've spoken in depth to my service advisor who has had my car for several weeks, and has had the Porsche rep in to look at it. This is a problem with pre-2015 Panameras. The 2015 that I'm driving as a loaner does not have this problem. My SA says he has 4 other owners that have the same problem. I need to say this is the best dealership I've ever dealt with, and they and the service advisor really know their stuff. They have been incredibly supportive of me and my racing as well.

They have replaced all the bushings and control arms, and the noise is better, but still there. The problem is related to the control arm/sway bar bushings. The bushings are not lubricated, and under full suspension travel they are compressed and make a lot of noise. My SA is asking Porsche to recommend a lubricant for the bushings, and so far they have refused. The SA believes they will issue a Service Advisory in the very near future. I've agreed to let them keep my car to attempt to force Porsche into resolving this issue. I'm ok since they provide me with Panamera/Cayman/Boxter/Cayenne loaners and I enjoy driving the different cars. Plus I'd like to think that I'm helping other Panamera owners. Not sure if this will work, but I'll keep trying for a few weeks.

I'll keep everyone posted about what I find out.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 PM
dudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the rough
Thank you for the information and future updates.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 AM
2010Panny4S will become famous soon enough
Interesting, thanks for the current and future updates.

Awesome you get to drive all those loaners plus keep your mileage low on your own vehicle

Old 02-17-2015, 11:44 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
From what you described, my 2013 S Hybrid has the same type of noise. I brought in for service/complaint and they told me it was a loose battery bouncing around which the tightened. I don't believe they even investigated as no remedy. I look forward to your positive outcome with fix specifics.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:42 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
I have a 2011 and just had the upper right control arm replaced. The recent cold snap has brought out a crunch noise from the front left and also sounds like under driver seat. Last year they replaced the lower control arms......
Makes sense that in cold weather the bushings shrink and allow for movement hence the noise and they swell in warm weather........dealer has been great. Will see what happens when it warms back up.....oh and I'm at 63k miles.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Polar993 has a spectacular aura aboutPolar993 has a spectacular aura about
I have the same problem in my 2013 Panamera GTS (20,000 miles).

Every time I go over a speed bump or a substantial dip in the road, I hear a “crunch” sound coming from the front area of the car. At first I thought I was physically scraping the undercarriage, but even when I keep the car in the Normal (slightly raised) suspension setting, providing ample clearance over a speed bump, I hear this sound.

I also do notice the sound much more now that the weather is cold on East Coast, compared to over the summer.

Could it be the control arms or the struts? What exactly should I tell my service advisor? Unfortunately one of the service advisors at my local dealership just doesn’t really care about his customers, and he has said to me in the past that he couldn’t replicate a problem so it couldn’t be fixed. He said this to me regarding a bad door rattle, and when I had them mount snow tires on the car and there was a bad vibration in the steering column due to the wheels being improperly balanced. After bringing my car in twice and the dealership not being able to fix the wheel rebalancing issues, I ended up getting the wheels rebalanced at a reputable tire shop, and the problem went away.

One other question I have about my car that I figure I will ask here has to do with the air suspension. Why is it that sometimes when the car is parked, the air suspension will randomly settle to a lower position? I can be in Normal or Sport Plus mode and if I park the car, it was stay at that height, but sometimes if I open the trunk or walk away from the car, the air suspension releases air, and settles an inch or so lower?

I wish the car would ride at that lower setting in the first place, and not settle to that lower setting after it’s been parked. Anyone else have that issue? You can hear the air releasing from the suspension bags.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:53 PM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
Yep I've had similar experiences and have had the updated parts installed also. Would be interested in what you hear.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
The dealership has had the Porsche tech reps in yesterday to look at the car. There is a minor scrape at the bushing/bar interface. Latest update is they are replacing the stabilizer bar (from Germany next week). I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Polar993 has a spectacular aura aboutPolar993 has a spectacular aura about
I assume they are covering the stabilizer bar under warranty, despite the fact that it has scrapes on it?

Do keep us posted. I am looking forward to getting this issue resolved.

Originally Posted by umwolverine
The dealership has had the Porsche tech reps in yesterday to look at the car. There is a minor scrape at the bushing/bar interface. Latest update is they are replacing the stabilizer bar (from Germany next week). I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 PM
They have replaced the stabilizer bar and there is still some noise "in cold driving", which is about 10 below zero here in Cincinnati.

Latest message is "after the retorque procedure, noise is gone, but have to report to PNCA and get them to say OK to let it go."

Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Banned
Logimind is on a distinguished road
I started to get the crunch just today with 8 degrees outside. It did go away after driving for a while. I have not had any noise even with 15 degrees. Occasional tire skipping and noise when I turn the wheels right after I start the car. According to the SA its normal on Panameras and Caymans or 911s. I dont remember. But crunch noise should not be normal. Im assuming the bushings are made out of very hard Poly. Maybe that is the price we pay for good performance? Hmmm.

Did anybody have this issue in winter and still the same issue in the summer without fixing it during the winter months?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Logimind
I started to get the crunch just today with 8 degrees outside. It did go away after driving for a while. I have not had any noise even with 15 degrees. Occasional tire skipping and noise when I turn the wheels right after I start the car. According to the SA its normal on Panameras and Caymans or 911s. I dont remember. But crunch noise should not be normal. Im assuming the bushings are made out of very hard Poly. Maybe that is the price we pay for good performance? Hmmm.

Did anybody have this issue in winter and still the same issue in the summer without fixing it during the winter months?
The 2015 I just drove did not have the noise. My 2013 car only makes the noise when I leave it at the airport in cold weather and drive over the speed bumps in the airport parking lot after the car has sat for a day or two. I left the 2015 there for a few days on a trip, got back in very cold weather, drove over the same bumps, and no noise whatsoever.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Polar993
I assume they are covering the stabilizer bar under warranty, despite the fact that it has scrapes on it?

Do keep us posted. I am looking forward to getting this issue resolved.
Yes, everything covered under warranty.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
My GTS does it but stops after car warms up. I'm not having any work on the car. It's a high performance car and it is my understanding its the seals/gaskets/etc on the air suspension that makes the noise. It's primarily designed for performance not 0 degrees. I'm cool with it.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 AM
k2man is on a distinguished road
I just noticed this yesterday....some noise when I went up my buddies driveway. Its in the single digits in the Chicago area. Its not that loud, but noticeable. If it continues when it gets a little warmer, I think I will take it in.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Noise