Sponsored by:

Engine Light and PSM Failure after adding oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 10:24 AM
mlrtime3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Light and PSM Failure after adding oil

2010 Panamera 4S Under warranty, 62k miles

Here is a strange one, 2 months ago I got a a low oil level warning, go to the store buy 0-40 Mobile One Fully Synthetic. Add less than 1/2 a quart, much less than needed to not overfill. Drove off and engine light and PSM failure, car goes into limp mode. I thought it could be a coincidence. I drive it to the dealership and they replaced two coil packs and car was good again.

Just today, same thing, added a 1/4 quart of oil, instantly engine light and PSM failure, limp mode.

How is it possible that adding so little oil is causing this issue? What am I doing wrong , or it this just triggering the coils to accelerate needing replacing? The car just had it's 60k mile service done at a different dealership.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:33 PM
turbo_mikePTT will become famous soon enough
You need to read the code and reset it. Code reader is your friend especially compared to dealer diagnostic fees

Old 11-14-2020, 07:13 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Also check 12 V battery health. Neat info about PSM:

https://www.total911.com/technology-...ty-management/

Old 11-16-2020, 11:36 AM
Nikita4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point
First time, I was nervous as a wreck. Second time, I used my Durmatric and cleared the code, and said "F You! to Porsche!". Unless it is persistent, I'm not going to worry about it if the car drives fine. LOL
It helps to be lazy and have the luxury of having more than one Porsche in the garage. One day JZCHEN will happen to be in the Sacramento area, and he will help me fix my issues. LOL J/K!
My Panamera Turbo with a leaking air strut AND coolant pipe/housing issue is still in the garage waiting to be fixed. I aint going to the dealer especially when they want $550 to change the oil in my Cayenne Diesel. Bastards! But I ended up paying $220 to the local Porsche guy to do it. LOL

Old 11-17-2020, 03:03 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
PSM is Porsche stability management. Error in that is related to suspension, stability, etc. It is quite likely that this just happened to turn on, or is part of a snow ball effect for Porsche errors.
CEL would go on if something related goes wrong, typically like plugs, coils, etc. As soon as you get CEL, it most often means car is depowered to prevent damage. So typical to Porsche, often, it is a snow ball effect, where one thing causes multiple other things to happen. Not always related to putting in oil. Something to think about is the AOS. If your AOS is all plugged up, when you open the oil add cap, it would make changes to computer readings.
Hoope I am explaining myself correctly. Clearing and tracking what errors return, is important here.