997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ok Pulling the trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Wschomburg is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok Pulling the trigger

OK folks now its going to get interesting. After 22 months, a few personal setbacks, I will soon be apart of the family. I put a deposit on a 2009 997.2 C4 Coupe.
Being in NOVA I don't *think* I need the AWD, but after reading, watching, and self introspective, I know my driving habits and the AWD will keep me honest. This will be a daily driver and I'm not planning any track days. Actually I am hoping to enjoy it for 2 years and then be able to find a 997.2TT, if not I will be happy with what I have

This is from a reputable Porsche / luxury car dealer in the area even references as a goto place to get a Porsche PPI. They went through the car and replaced all the brake pads, trued-up a rim that was slightly out of round, replaced all 4 tires, detailed, changed the fluids so I feel good about the deal.

There is an after market warranty available from a company called Warrentech that is pretty comprehensive. So a few questions on the warranty:
Planning on keeping for 2 years and estimate less than 15K miles driving, so a 36 month/15K mi warranty (transferable) for $3530.00 sound reasonable?
Searched this board for Warrentech but did not get any hits. Anyone ever use Warrentech are they easy to deal with?
Do I need the warranty given my plan? I think worse case scenario baring any failures is I am in it for 2 year service and 40K service should I have to hold onto it for longer than planned.

Thoughts and comments welcome
Cheers

Old 08-08-2018, 10:18 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
First off, congratulations. For what it's worth I bet most who buy the C4 or C4S instead of a C2 or C2S do it because of the wide body, not the absolute need for AWD. I've read plenty of posts attesting to that scenario. As for your warranty question, I've never heard of Warrentech but that doesn't mean anything as long as they have a good reputation in your market. Question is if you need it though. You don't specify if your car has a 6sp transmission or PDK. If it's PDK I would definitely buy the warranty. If it's a manual I would consider doing without. The newly designed engine starting with the 2009 models seems just about fail proof so the weak link on the 997.2 cars is the PDK which has a number of documented failures and are very expensive to fix since Porsche in most cases insist on replacement rather than repair when something goes wrong.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by sandwedge
First off, congratulations. For what it's worth I bet most who buy the C4 or C4S instead of a C2 or C2S do it because of the wide body, not the absolute need for AWD. I've read plenty of posts attesting to that scenario. As for your warranty question, I've never heard of Warrentech but that doesn't mean anything as long as they have a good reputation in your market. Question is if you need it though. You don't specify if your car has a 6sp transmission or PDK. If it's PDK I would definitely buy the warranty. If it's a manual I would consider doing without. The newly designed engine starting with the 2009 models seems just about fail proof so the weak link on the 997.2 cars is the PDK which has a number of documented failures and are very expensive to fix since Porsche in most cases insist on replacement rather than repair when something goes wrong.
Yes it is PDK, 28k mi, also NAV, sports chrono+, bose. dealer replaced brakes and all new rubber
Thanks for the comment. I was leaning towards the warranty purchase.

Last edited by Wschomburg; 08-09-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Wschomburg

Yes it is PDK, 28k mi, also NAV, sports chrono+, bose. dealer replaced brakes and all new rubber
Thanks for the comment. I was leaning towards the warranty purchase.
For the record, the PDK on my 2009 C4S failed at 40,000 miles. Cost of replacement was $14,000. Covered by after market warranty.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:33 AM
PDK Failure

Ouch! Im glad the warranty company covered it.

Can you elaborate more on how it failed? What failed in the PDK, were you able to limp home or stranded?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Ouch! Im glad the warranty company covered it.

Can you elaborate more on how it failed? What failed in the PDK, were you able to limp home or stranded?
Had two events of "Transmission Emergency Run" warning lights on the dash. Pulled over, shut the car down and restarted a minute or two later. Problem solved. Same warning came on for a third time one morning as I was backing out of my garage. This time was different. The car stopped moving in my driveway and after three failed attempts to reset it like I did on the previous occasions I called the dealer and then called for a flatbed. Dealer called me the next day and told me the PDK had to be replaced. The codes they pulled pointed towards some kind of electronic problem rather than mechanical but again.....since they're not allowed to open the unit up for further trouble shooting, replacement was the only option. As the service manager said: "Very frustrating. Could be an easily replaced $200 electronic part but we're not allowed to go there".

This is the reason I would not own a PDK car without a warranty. Almost like owning a newer model, low end small Japanese car and with a few exceptions, no matter what fails you have to replace the whole car.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:13 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I think a warranty is a great investment so long as it is transferable when you sell the car. Also, for what it is worth, I got a Fidelity platinum, bumper to bumper, (same as factory) aftermarket warranty for my 2010 4S 6 speed coupe, bought in 2011, that is still in effect for another 4 months, for under $4K. Yes, 7 years of coverage or 100K miles for under $4K. I believe there is always room to negotiate on these items. Give it a try and see what happens. I have used the warranty twice- both times totaled about $2,300 so I am in the hole about $1,300 on the warranty at this point.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! Who was the NOVA dealer? I’m in NOVA too.....

Old 08-11-2018, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I think a warranty is a great investment so long as it is transferable when you sell the car. Also, for what it is worth, I got a Fidelity platinum, bumper to bumper, (same as factory) aftermarket warranty for my 2010 4S 6 speed coupe, bought in 2011, that is still in effect for another 4 months, for under $4K. Yes, 7 years of coverage or 100K miles for under $4K. I believe there is always room to negotiate on these items. Give it a try and see what happens. I have used the warranty twice- both times totaled about $2,300 so I am in the hole about $1,300 on the warranty at this point.
My understanding is that the Fidelity Platinum policy (and probably all their policies) are transferable when you sell to a private party or refundable on a prorated basis if you trade it in at a dealership.

I've bought three after market policies for my three 997's and I'm way ahead thanks to the $14,000 PDK replacement. But even without that I'd still be in pretty good shape. Nothing that breaks on these cars is cheap to fix. Add the peace of mind and the cost of the policy vs. the cost of the car and I think it makes a lot of sense. Let's say you own a 2009 PDK C2S without warranty and the PDK craps out. The cost to fix it will approach 30% of the value of the car but won't add a dime to the value since the replacement unit installed will be just as prone to some kind of weird failure as the unit you just replaced.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Thanks all for the info. I will go with the 48 month\40k mi transferable warranty. The dealer is Intersport performance in Mclean. Here is a link to the beautiy
https://intersportperformance.com/20...0/Details.aspx

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Thanks all for the info. I will go with the 48 month\40k mi transferable warranty. The dealer is Intersport performance in Mclean. Here is a link to the beautiy
https://intersportperformance.com/20...0/Details.aspx
A beauty indeed. With just 28,000 miles on a 2009, make sure all the maintenance is up to date. I believe some required maintenance is due after a certain amount of time after purchase or upon reaching a certain point of mileage whichever comes first. For example, I believe the 40,000 mile service is due at 4 years from date of purchase or 40,000 miles whichever comes first.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:57 PM
First real drive

So I was able to get out and drive some. Did 150 mi tonight.

Played around with the PDK shifting, automatic and temp manual/automatic , full manual, to get the feel of it. Still think its backwards as I find myself really having to think about which way is up/down. But after a month Im sure it will be no big deal.

Question:So If I am in manual and say third gear going between 5-6k rpms and then I punch it and down shift, would it let me down shift if Im already at 6k rpm? Curious

Brakes work great, I did manage to break the rear end free around a corner, not far only about a foot or so but was surprised the AWD would do that. There was no debris on the road to speak of and I was doing about 6k rpm. Maybe grippier summer tires would improve that?

My only real reference is my motorcycle GoldWing 1800, and I consistintly hit the rev limiter on it and taking corners is pretty rock solid. Granted far less weight but I would have thought the porsche would take more g’s before breaking loose. Now I have to figure out how many g’s I am really pulling ha!!

PDK in normal mode is pretty boring but good for around town/hwy trekking. Putting it in Sport mode, or as I like to say, pressing the fun button, truely wakes up the car. Great gear selection in the corners and speed from 10-55 mph.

I think Ill leave sport plus for the track or verywide open areas. Thats just a bit over the top for crowded NOVA traffic.

Sport mode around town in traffic I find to be pretty abrubt in the down shifting aspect. really seems to be pretty hard. Not sure if this is normal, might have the PDK serviced as the records dont indicate its ever been done (2009/28k mi)

The biggest niggly issue I have is with the driver shoulder strap. It keeps getting tighter and tighter as I drive and I find myself
having to tug on it to losen it up about ever 10 min, weather aggressive driving or not. Anyone else experience this?

Still have to read the manual ;-)

Big Grin
Bill

Last edited by Wschomburg; 08-17-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 PM

I think Ill leave sport plus for the track or verywide open areas. Thats just a bit over the top for crowded NOVA traffic
I agree that sport plus in auto mode has no place except for the track but try it in manual mode if you haven't already. I'm in sport plus manual mode all the time, shifting with the gear lever as opposed to the paddles. Brings it closer to the real manual feel and the shifts are quiet a bit quicker in sport plus than in sport. Nice little pop from the exhaust also in sport plus that you don't get in sport.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by sandwedge
try it in manual mode if you haven't already.
Great thanks for the suggestion. That was a combo I would not have tried!!

I look forward to it :-)