Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:49 AM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by cjv
Everyday use for this car will be:

1) Certain mornings sometime between 12:30 AM and 2:00 AM.
2) Short Sunday drives.
3) The track.
4) The strip.

Oh so all that time in between is for me to take KA for an extra long test drive?

Sorry I felt like dreaming for a couple seconds.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:08 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Zippy
They cost more!

What do I win!
Actually Zippy,

When I ordered the bare heads from Gert at Carnawal they were only about $1,800. a pair.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Chad, you might be satisifed with the motor. The rest of the car, on the other hand, might go for a few changes to try to keep up.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 03-turbo911
Chad, you might be satisifed with the motor. The rest of the car, on the other hand, might go for a few changes to try to keep up.
Not really sure what else could be done short of flairing the fenders. The problem with this is there are not any larger tires we could go to that would stay within the awd requirements. This car has a pretty amazing undercarriage.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:22 PM
cjv
Back to limited slip differencials. Porsche MS has them available. Guard Transmissions also makes them. Doing a little research many of the dominate race teams install the Guard unit. The Guard unit is made using chrome molly material. It can be purchased in a 40/60 or a 50/80. The first number refers to lock up in percentage of acceleration while the second number refers to lock up in percentage of deacceleration.

If anyone has used the Guard LSD on a 996tt I would really like to hear your experiences as they relate to which differencial you were using.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:18 PM
cjv
Another bit of info. I understand the early 1973 Carrera RS's were equipt'ed with a 50/80 LSD.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:05 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by cjv
Everyday use for this car will be:

1) Certain mornings sometime between 12:30 AM and 2:00 AM.
2) Short Sunday drives.
3) The track.
4) The strip.

certain mornings between 12:30am and 2:00am I make it point to not take out my 800hp plus cars.... a cab works much better to get me home...hehe

Old 07-07-2005, 07:03 AM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Originally posted by cjv
Not really sure what else could be done short of flairing the fenders...This car has a pretty amazing undercarriage.

Do you mean that in terms of underbody aerodynamics?

Greg A

Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Chad,

What does your tt weigh now? I know you have tried to
lighten it, just curious.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:51 AM
cjv
Originally posted by teflon
Do you mean that in terms of underbody aerodynamics?

Greg A
We have the Techart panels. Have not installed yet.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 AM
cjv
Originally posted by buddyg
Chad,

What does your tt weigh now? I know you have tried to
lighten it, just curious.
The last time we checked she was 3,092 pounds. That was February 2004. We have performed some reductions like the crash bumper guards and replacing the absorbers with aluminum T bars since then.

We are still running the stock factory front seats (no rear seats). If we ever decide to replace them we can lose a few more pounds. We are looking at the Cobra Imola Technology seats.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:52 PM
cjv
We have made a small advancement. To date not much attention has been paid to the rear differencials and none to the front differencials, let alone the connection mechanicism transfering the power from the rear to the front.

Well, we have now modified and /or changed them all. Some of these parts were borrowed from the GT1 and the RSR. One of the parts was custom made from billet. Yes, a new front differencial. More on this later. I now venture to say there isn't a street legal 996tt that can compete on the twisties using similar qualified drivers. This unit is stronger than the stock unit and it puts the power down much differently in the twisties. Imagine having the front wheels independent going into the turn and progressively locking together coming out of the apex. It is to say at the least ................. an unfair advantage.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:39 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
I'm looking forward to learning more about this new front differential.

Greg A

Old 07-09-2005, 11:30 PM
cjv
Originally posted by teflon
I'm looking forward to learning more about this new front differential.

Greg A
Greg,

This front differencial is much like a rear Bias Differencial as opposed to a Limited Slip Differencial. It is made from Chrome Molly so it is alot stronger than the small stock dif. This new front differencial allows the car to go into the turns using the brakes with the two axles rotating at a different speed (which is good). Once you have hit the apex and you want to accelerate............ it (through gearing ie. biased differencial) locks the two axles together (again this is good).

This front differencial in combination with a F1 type front transfer gear and the Porsche MS RSR billet LSD allows the 996tt to handle better than your wildest dreams.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Chad,

I thought of the "front torque transfer" differential that BAR F1 introduced when you first mentioned your new front diff. I believe its operation is similar to what you are describing here--obviously minus the 4wd aspect.

Excerpted from an FIA scrutineer's report
electro hydraulic software controlled device which connects the front wheels via drive shafts and allows controlled torque transfer from a faster wheel to a slower wheel even under braking
Am I reading you correctly?

Greg A

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring