Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Another mObridge Review

Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Another mObridge iPod Integration Review

After many months of frustration with several NAV-TV OPiP iPod interfaces, I think I may finally be happy now that I have the mObridge unit.

I didn't install it myself, but I can tell you it took my installer less than an hour to swap the NAV-TV for the mObridge.

The mObridge is better than the NAV-TV in the following ways:
  • no CDC error at PCM startup
  • page limit is 99 items (rather than 31)
  • pressing < goes to the beginning of the song (rather than the beginning of the prior song)
  • repeat and shuffle are supported
  • navigation is somewhat awkward but understandable due to PCM constraints (still, it is more intuitive than NAV-TV)

My NAV-TV unit was prone to various crashes and often needed to be disconnected and reconnected, sometimes to no avail. Hopefully, the mObridge will prove to be better.

Whenever I started the car in the morning, the NAV-TV always started on the first song in my library. It never remembered where I left off. Hopefully, the mObridge will be better.

Calls to NAV-TV were always met with, "That's just the way it works."

I'll post up again soon to let you know how the mObridge does.

Last edited by ELMEL; 02-02-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Here's my update after two days of ownership...

No crashes of any kind.

When I start the car in the morning, the unit remembers what track I was on. This is enormously better than the NAV-TV unit which started on the first song in my library (not playlist, but library) every morning -- made it kind of hard to get very far into a playlist. With the mObridge, I'll be listening to a lot more of my music library because it's so much easier to do so.

I did have one weird display issue, but an email to mObridge support was met with a super quick reply with a software update which I applied myself via SD card. OMG, it just doesn't get any easier. Compare this with NAV-TV who did nothing for me every time I called.

If you get the mObridge, just make sure your installer positions the unit behind the center console such that the SD card slot is facing the driver or passenger footwell. That way, you can easily remove the little side panels and pop an SD card in, which loads the update in seconds.

Guys, this is a no-brainer.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
sfguy is on a distinguished road
ELMEL - glad you're happy with the m0bridge. Your write-up mirrors the good experience I've had with it for the past 2 months.

I've heard that the 2009 PCM will have touchscreen, Bluetooth, and ipod/USB built-in, so these may be extra only for 2005-2008 models.

On a side note, Bluetooth add-ons may have a spike of demand in CA due to the CA handsfree law that comes into effect mid-2008.

On the m0bridge, my current wishlist is as follows: (though some may not be possible given the PCM limitations):
* Preserve random mode setting when changing folder, disk (genre, album, etc.), and power off/on
* Customizable disk functions to . e.g. I'd rather have an ability to access podcasts rather than albums
* "Virtual" directories of artists by alphabet letter - kind of like a search by first letter. When you have a 160GB ipod, accessing artists towards the end of the alphabet involves a lot of page scrolling
* On that note, faster updates after scrolling pages, entering and exiting folders. It takes about 5 seconds to remove the list of 99, and another 5 seconds to then repopulate the next 99
* Short-cuts to page back and forth, and go up from a folder

I might send these over to Scott Nelson at m0bridge - would you have any others to add?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I have a feeling they've implemented the customizable disk functions you've asked for, but I don't think they've documented it yet. What version of the firmware do you have? I have 02.02.47.

I'd like to see the right-side rotary-**** button do the same job as the > button. In other words, if I'm in playlist list view and I want to select a playlist, I'd rather just press the rotary **** rather than double-click the > button. Does that make sense? I think this is what you mean when you say:
  • Short-cuts to page back and forth, and go up from a folder

sfguy, I'm also with you on:
  • Preserve random mode setting when changing folder, disk (genre, album, etc.), and power off/on
  • Customizable disk functions to . e.g. I'd rather have an ability to access podcasts rather than albums
  • "Virtual" directories of artists by alphabet letter - kind of like a search by first letter. When you have a 160GB ipod, accessing artists towards the end of the alphabet involves a lot of page scrolling
  • Short-cuts to page back and forth, and go up from a folder

Last edited by ELMEL; 02-02-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
scuzy is on a distinguished road
yeah i hated the double > thing takes too long.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:06 AM
ckl93 is on a distinguished road
I just had mine installed on Friday. Thanks to Scott at mOBridge for helping the installers. After a couple days I'm enjoying the sound. So much better than FM modulation!
I agree with not using the > key and pressing the right **** to access folders.
Any of you guys having a display issue where the track # is displayed instead of the song name? Seems only to happen when I use the steering wheel controls to advance tracks. It'll display the song name for a second then switches to a track #.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by ckl93
Any of you guys having a display issue where the track # is displayed instead of the song name? Seems only to happen when I use the steering wheel controls to advance tracks. It'll display the song name for a second then switches to a track #.
Yes, that's the same problem I had. All you need is the firmware update from Scott. Works like a charm.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM
BSM
BSM is on a distinguished road
Guys - need a rec on SF Bay Area installers for this please, thx!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 PM
PM sent.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I have firmware C32/2702 - at least, that's what it says in the "MAIN+TRIP" display. This came with the m0bridge in mid-November. Not sure how that compares with "02.02.47".

I like the suggestion of pressing the right rotary button to enter a folder, but I don't think that goes to the m0bridge - it looks like a PCM thing to toggle the left-side sub-display on and off. It's the most counter-intuitive interface I've ever seen (PCM that is)

Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by sfguy
I have firmware C32/2702 - at least, that's what it says in the "MAIN+TRIP" display. This came with the m0bridge in mid-November. Not sure how that compares with "02.02.47".=
I think you're looking in the wrong place. Press the Audio button on your PCM, then go to CD List/disc6 and scroll down.

I like the suggestion of pressing the right rotary button to enter a folder, but I don't think that goes to the m0bridge - it looks like a PCM thing to toggle the left-side sub-display on and off. It's the most counter-intuitive interface I've ever seen (PCM that is)
My Nav-TV unit utilized the rotary **** button for song selection, so I'm hoping it's possible for mObridge to do so as well. They have our feedback and are looking at implementing.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks - yes, I was looking in the wrong place. I have software version 02.02.27.

Did you already send over this feedback to Scott? Your email implies you did...?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 AM
scuzy is on a distinguished road
i have the 02.02.48 version but with this firmware i no longer have the resume from last song options.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 AM
Did you already send over this feedback to Scott? Your email implies you did...?
Yes, Scott has all the feedback from this thread -- mostly yours.

Originally Posted by scuzy
i have the 02.02.48 version but with this firmware i no longer have the resume from last song options.
Scott is planning a site overhaul which will include user downloads of updates and docs. I think it's coming pretty soon.

Hey, just so you guys know, I don't know Scott any better than anyone else. I've been emailing him and he's been replying -- one of the reasons I like mObridge better than NAV-TV!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 PM
The site overhaul is complete. We can now download current updates and documentation on our own. Yay!

http://mobridgeinc.com/
http://mobridgeinc.com/support/updates

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Another mObridge Review