Predicting resale value of TT vs TTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 AM
carcam will become famous soon enough
Predicting resale value of TT vs TTS

I'm still undecided which car to get and may even end up with another 991S.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on resale value of a highly optioned base turbo vs the turbo S in a few years.

I've had many Porsches over the years, usually keep them 2 years and trade them in for the next best model that I promise myself I will keep longer this time. I'm a sucker for Porsche marketing and the latest and greatest toys.

Typically I get a highly optioned 911 and when I trade it in, the options are worth maybe 10% of what I paid for them. For example, my current '12 C2S was around $130k. When they ran the trade numbers, they looked at comparable C2S's and it's worth in the high 80's now. I'm ok with that but the pccb's and full leather that I paid $13k for now get me $1k each on trade in value. It's like that with extended leather, carbon fiber pkg and other options.
If I only got the Porsche for resale value alone, I would get the least optioned one.

So my ideal turbo is actually the base model but with $26k in options (pccb, sport chrono, Burm, pdcc, etc) for around $174k. My S build would be $188k with $7k in options. If my history holds true, in 2 years I would be trading in a base turbo and the value would be compared with other less optioned turbos and I would only get a fraction of the pccbs, etc. Or maybe they both will drop in value so much it doesn't matter.

And why do the centerlock wheels cost $3k when added to the base turbo and you don't get a $3k credit when you take them off the S (hate CL wheels, btw after a nightmare flat with my Carrera GTS)?

And maybe resale value doesn't matter because this is IT, my last one as I've been telling my wife all those other times

Old 02-01-2014, 09:42 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
First off, this is not your last car! I keep telling my wife the same thing and it just keeps getting more expensive. Nothing wrong with the TT, it will sell come trade in time no matter what, maybe you could speak with your sales person about this and get feedback. I've already spoken with my guy and I'm not impressed with the future value of my car, but this cannot be the main consideration when purchasing. Its gotta be about driving the car and loving every moment of it. What about leasing?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:28 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by carcam
I'm still undecided which car to get and may even end up with another 991S.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on resale value of a highly optioned base turbo vs the turbo S in a few years.

I've had many Porsches over the years, usually keep them 2 years and trade them in for the next best model that I promise myself I will keep longer this time. I'm a sucker for Porsche marketing and the latest and greatest toys.

Typically I get a highly optioned 911 and when I trade it in, the options are worth maybe 10% of what I paid for them. For example, my current '12 C2S was around $130k. When they ran the trade numbers, they looked at comparable C2S's and it's worth in the high 80's now. I'm ok with that but the pccb's and full leather that I paid $13k for now get me $1k each on trade in value. It's like that with extended leather, carbon fiber pkg and other options.
If I only got the Porsche for resale value alone, I would get the least optioned one.

So my ideal turbo is actually the base model but with $26k in options (pccb, sport chrono, Burm, pdcc, etc) for around $174k. My S build would be $188k with $7k in options. If my history holds true, in 2 years I would be trading in a base turbo and the value would be compared with other less optioned turbos and I would only get a fraction of the pccbs, etc. Or maybe they both will drop in value so much it doesn't matter.

And why do the centerlock wheels cost $3k when added to the base turbo and you don't get a $3k credit when you take them off the S (hate CL wheels, btw after a nightmare flat with my Carrera GTS)?

And maybe resale value doesn't matter because this is IT, my last one as I've been telling my wife all those other times
Told my wife the same....

Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Badknees is on a distinguished road
You might want to spend a little time looking at preowned ads and seeing what asking prices are for TT vs TTS. Historically I don't think you get as much back on options.

I don't know your budget, or what kind of discounts your dealer is offering, but all things being equal I'd spring for the S.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Badknees
You might want to spend a little time looking at preowned ads and seeing what asking prices are for TT vs TTS. Historically I don't think you get as much back on options.

I don't know your budget, or what kind of discounts your dealer is offering, but all things being equal I'd spring for the S.
ditto on the S. My quick story. I bought a 2012 TTS with 2900 miles on it for $138K from Scottsdale Ferrari in January 2013. In December of 2013 I decided to order a new 2014 TTS from my local dealer here in the Bay Area. MRSRP of ~ $194K. I pre traded the 12' since I did not want to add any more miles to the 6200 miles that were on the car plus they offered me $135K for it. They were low on used inventory. IMO they paid too much for the car but who am I to complain. Then 2 weeks ago they told me my April delivery on my 14' TTS was pushed out until May. I cancelled the order and got my $5K deposit back within 2 days. Long story short I have decided now to wait for another low mileage car to come out and let someone else take the hit on the depreciation. As long as the car has a 2 + years of warranty and low miles I see this as a good way to get a great cat for ~30K less in 12 months.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:57 AM
armauro is on a distinguished road
So based on what you got on your trade and what you think- Paying now 130 private party for a 3k mile 12 TTs is too much?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Overdraft is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CALGUY
ditto on the S. My quick story. I bought a 2012 TTS with 2900 miles on it for $138K from Scottsdale Ferrari in January 2013. In December of 2013 I decided to order a new 2014 TTS from my local dealer here in the Bay Area. MRSRP of ~ $194K. I pre traded the 12' since I did not want to add any more miles to the 6200 miles that were on the car plus they offered me $135K for it. They were low on used inventory. IMO they paid too much for the car but who am I to complain. Then 2 weeks ago they told me my April delivery on my 14' TTS was pushed out until May. I cancelled the order and got my $5K deposit back within 2 days. Long story short I have decided now to wait for another low mileage car to come out and let someone else take the hit on the depreciation. As long as the car has a 2 + years of warranty and low miles I see this as a good way to get a great cat for ~30K less in 12 months.

I would love to save the money BUT I can't get my head around writing a cheque for $ 150K for a used car - even if it has only 2500 KM on it....but I can spend $ 200K on a new one with a little prodding.

Strange creatures some of us car guys.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
If your difference between the base and S will be just $12k, of course the S will be the best way to go. The way I would option a base, the difference would be $25k below the S at least, in which case the far wiser choice.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by aamersa
If your difference between the base and S will be just $12k, of course the S will be the best way to go. The way I would option a base, the difference would be $25k below the S at least, in which case the far wiser choice.
I know- that's how I'm leaning.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 AM
singlespeed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aamersa
Yeah, I agree. I went with the S because I really like the red/black interior, cl, and pccb. Optioning the base with these features didn't make much sense for my case.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 AM
trek737 has a spectacular aura abouttrek737 has a spectacular aura about
I asked my friend what is the depreciation on a new P car. He said 20% for the first year of a new vehicle and about 10% every year there after. When I did the math on yours carcam it fell in this same category of deprecation. It is a shame that the upgrades did not hold their value. Financially it is smarter to buy a lightly used preowned. But if you want it optioned to your exact needs and new then you are going to take the bigger hit.

Either way, this hobby is about the passion that it brings. New or used Porsches are great cars to own!

Last edited by trek737; 02-02-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:33 PM
carcommander will become famous soon enough
My TT was 25k less than a S. It never makes sense to buy anything more than a 6 year old Honda or Toyota. Anything more is emotion.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM
0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light
Well a 14 tts has a base of 182k , not 188k .....I would go with the s....I got $5700.00 off msrp for mine....I have a perfect 2800 mile 2012 tts for sale

Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by 0-60freak
Well a 14 tts has a base of 182k , not 188k .....
I know- I said "my build" would be 188k (glass sunroof, seat ventilation, entry and go, etc)