First Hand Experience Thread for 991 Model; To give Personal Review of ALL Features..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ocgearhead
Question about the Porsche sport exhaust: do you appreciate it even driving it normal speeds/city driving? I'm debating whether it's worth it since I don't have a long commute and most of my driving is local.
I ordered it because it sounds so sweet pretty much all the time, but if there is ever a need to have a little less sound you can always turn it off.

Is this your first Porsche?,....as most Porsche owners often turn short commutes into long ones just because of the drive itself, and the sound is one of the key ingredients.

No, it's not absolutely necessary, and if sound is not a huge priority (a car without PSE still sounds good) then save the $$$ and/or put it towards something you really want instead.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by ocgearhead
Question about the Porsche sport exhaust: do you appreciate it even driving it normal speeds/city driving? I'm debating whether it's worth it since I don't have a long commute and most of my driving is local.
I will preface my answer with this, my wife who works in the auto industry but doesn't "understand" the infatuation of exhaust notes made the following comment about a 991 without the PSE:

"hmmmmm this car needs the sports exhaust the base you took out sounded so much better than this one (991S)."

Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by arthurk
I will preface my answer with this, my wife who works in the auto industry but doesn't "understand" the infatuation of exhaust notes made the following comment about a 991 without the PSE:

"hmmmmm this car needs the sports exhaust the base you took out sounded so much better than this one (991S)."

My wife is the opposite, I don't have PSE but she always says my car is too loud, even my dog recognizes we coming down the street...yeah baby!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Ok let's take on the next feature...

Transmission...

I've got the 7 sp MT and LOVE IT! Truly feels sporty. What I've found in the first 3500 miles is that is is definitely settling in, shifts are getting smoother and more responsive. I also know that this being my first Porsche and my fist MT in 25 yrs that there is a re-acclimation learning curve I'm in.

Definitely peak responsiveness occurs above 4500 rpms, and I've found I much prefer sport mode in my 991S than normal drive mode. Sport plus is great when I want it, and normal is great for highway gas mileage but for everyday daily driving, I think the medium level "sport" mode is ideal.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
I was in a similar spot when I ordered mine. At first I decided against it, but then changed the order to include it based on feedback from others. No regrets whatsoever! In fact, I wouldn't want to miss it when driving a bit more aggressive. The gargling is superb. I even turn it on sometimes while driving "normally". It's expensive and adds some weight, but it's a small fraction of the whole car and it adds fun and emotion far in excess of that fraction, so it's totally worth it from this perspective.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Fuel Economy

I just got my 991S past the break-in miles, so I took a 210 mile round trip and carefully checked fuel economy for the trip.

I left the PDK in normal/automatic mode for the entire trip. I filled up with Sunoco 93 octane at my normal Station before the trip and right after I returned (same gas I always use, same pump both fills, let the pump shut itself off).

80 miles of the trip was freeway and I had the cruise control set at 72 MPH most of that portion, with a couple blasts to 100 MPH just for fun.

The remaining 120 miles was a busy 2 lane twisty road so I was passing a lot, but I also got stuck behind slow traffic for many miles too. When I passed I nailed it most of the time, hitting 85-100 for those short bursts. When I had open road I ran along at 65-70 MPH.

After the fill up at trip's end I did the math and I got 26 MPG! I was not expecting such good mileage with a new engine and not really driving for good fuel economy. If I had driven my NA Forester on the same trip and observed the speed limit, I would have gotten 23 MPG at best.

I am amazed that Porsche can engineer/build a 400HP, wicked fast engine that is capable of such good mileage. It will be interesting to see what MPG a long freeway run at 70 MPH will get.

Anyone else have some MPG numbers to share? I am very curious about this now.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Others have commented about the PSE. I have it on our new 991 and when we went with the PCA group last weekend to Daytona did it ever sound great driving thru the tunnel to the infield.

Last edited by Gene G; 10-11-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Two weeks ago my wife and I were driving a 991S Coupe with Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust in Germany (on the autobahn at the time - reached 295kph). We kept the Sport Exhaust on all the time. After about an hour my wife turns to me and says, "Perhaps you should get one of these as your driver". Her two main reasons, first the Sport Exhaust sound (she likes loud exhausts) and second the overall ride at speed.
Bottom line, came home and ordered 991S Cab with PDK and the Powerkit (includes sport exhaust and sports chrono and more) the Sport Design body kit along with many other performance and comfort options. White with Red interior and roof.
A garage mate for my 996 TT Cab! The BMW 650 goes away.

John in Vancouver

Forgot to mention. This is my 13th Porsche of which 9 are/have been new 911's (going back to September, 1972)

Last edited by Snowczar; 10-11-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM
6sol4me will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Snowczar
Bottom line, came home and ordered 991S Cab with PDK and the Powerkit (includes sport exhaust and sports chrono and more) the Sport Design body kit along with many other performance and comfort options. White with Red interior and roof.
Congrats! I'm planning to order this color combo as well. What kind of trim did you go with? I'm contemplating the carbon wheel/trim..

Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I didn't go with any additional trim in the interior but did order the Sport Design Paddle shift wheel in Red leather Interior is full red leather, red guages and sport chrono faces and seatbelts (my wife's colour picks but I'm ok with it). Also ordered Bose sound.

December build and hope for February delivery.

John in Vancouver

Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
dentizt is on a distinguished road
WOW that sounds like a lot of red in the interior... wouldn't do the red gauges maybe... might be too much!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
Porsche Entry and Drive System

Very little is written about this system and I have it in my 991. It is very convenient, the doors unlock as soon as you get close, and lock when you push the button on the door. The front trunk just requires you to touch the bumper below the porsche symbol and the trunk opens. Even with protective film, the sensor works fine. It is great not to have to use the key for any operation of the vehicle. However, a couple of things to watch out for. When not used to the key fob provided, the driver tends to pull the fob out, or yank hard which might cause damage. Next, I have a habit of keeping the key in my lap or on the passenger seat. I know there will be a time when I leave the key in the car unlocked.

The lighting included is great. The back of the car has what appears to be an LED underneath and lights up the back. The cabin in nicely lit, and the front is lit. The side mirrors also include lights which is a nice convenience feature. For woman, it will increase safety on those lonely nights at the mall parking lot.

This feature may not be a must, but it enhances the car further where it should not be missed.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Question Back in Black...When...!? lol

That's great to know about the Porsche Entry and Drive System. I have learned a great deal about certain features.

I'm curious if anyone knows when or if Porsche will be allowing consumers to purchase BLACK DASH, with either the Red or Espresso Natural Leather?

I have hear many complaints here as well as reviews by the GETAWAYER, reviewing 911's on YouTube...

Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Airportrat
Porsche Entry and Drive System

The front trunk just requires you to touch the bumper below the porsche symbol and the trunk opens. Even with protective film, the sensor works fine.
Thanks for the nice write-up on the Entry and Drive. This is perhaps my favorite part to show off. On my car however, you don't need to touch anything - just hover your hand in the air below the Porsche crest with the key in your pants pocket.

fun

Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Gene G
Others have commented about the PSE. I have it on our new 991 and when we went with the PCA group last weekend to Daytona did it ever sound great driving thru the tunnel to the infield.

I wonder if the 991 with PSE sounds louder than a 991s without PSE?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: First Hand Experience Thread for 991 Model; To give Personal Review of ALL Features..