First Hand Experience Thread for 991 Model; To give Personal Review of ALL Features..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 PM
ArashApollo will become famous soon enoughArashApollo will become famous soon enough
This thread is very great and gives me great things to look forward to when I take delivery! I'll be sure to contribute soon

Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Post Instead of new post, a more subtle request...

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 10-31-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 PM
midnighthunter is on a distinguished road
Has any one come across choosing between PSE and after market exhaust system?

As for those who chose the power kit, a turbo is not much $ gap from 991 s/4s with power kit. But you stay with the natural aspirate version. Is it because turbos are more for track and brutal(power and confortlessness) while NAs are for daily driving (mpg, comfort, easy of mind from turbo car problem?) and twisted road fun( precise driving and preditability of a car)

Old 10-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by midnighthunter

As for those who chose the power kit, a turbo is not much $ gap from 991 s/4s with power kit. But you stay with the natural aspirate version. Is it because turbos are more for track and brutal(power and confortlessness) while NAs are for daily driving (mpg, comfort, easy of mind from turbo car problem?) and twisted road fun( precise driving and preditability of a car)
Couldn't agree more!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Here is my take on the PSE vs aftermarket exhaust systems. I just had a PSE installed on my 991S and the following is what I considered before purchase:

1) Don't buy PSE if you want more Horsepower (HP), PSE is for a beautiful performance exhaust note, it won't produce more HP as far as I know. Aftermarket units can produce more HP as well as a performance sound if that is what you desire.

2) In my research, PSE was less expensive installed by my Dealer vs an aftermarket system. There is a new exhaust just out now by Remus that is competitively priced to PSE, however there are no sound clips, no HP claims and no testimonials yet.

3) I truly wanted to keep my car "all Porsche", with the install done by a Porsche dealer, it is exactly the same as if you ordered a 911 with it. I'm not sure it makes any difference to the warranty, but it should be a more favorable thing when it comes time to sell the car.

4) You can turn PSE "On" and "Off" with a console switch, not a remote control or "always on". There is one aftermarket system that uses the Porsche PSE switch but I don't remember which one. You may find some aftermarket exhausts to be too loud, PSE "On" is louder but not obnoxious, a beautiful high performance sound.

5)There are many positive testimonials here and elsewhere supporting the PSE sound, now that I have PSE I am very pleased with it. If anyone thinks I have given incorrect information here please correct me, I can take the criticism without getting my nose bent out of shape

Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
For me, in British Columbia a 991 Turbo's insurance would be in the $10k per year range if not more. For 991S it will be around $2,600!

John in Vancouver

Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !

Not sure I would agree with this statement. NA's are great for the track and you can take them to the limit in turns and manage throttle steering better with the engine's linear response than with a turbo that will have more of an on/off behavior and lag that may surprise you. A turbo may be great if you are looking at going real fast in straights but may not be as much fun around the whole track. This is just a personal opinion of course and come from some comparative experience of the 991S vs 997TT.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I didn't want to wait nor pay the extra for a Turbo. Especially as I have a modded 996 TT Cab already that is in the 575hp range and has had the suspension, brakes, seats etc etc upgraded as well. I'm keeping that as a "TOY" which is it's license plate.

In Canada I'm guessing a Turbo Cab, when they are available, with the type of options I've selected would get quite a bit over $215k! If not more. Also the insurance issue in BC for new and 1 year old Porsche Turbo's.

John in Vancouver

Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Not sure I would agree with this statement. NA's are great for the track and you can take them to the limit in turns and manage throttle steering better with the engine's linear response than with a turbo that will have more of an on/off behavior and lag that may surprise you. A turbo may be great if you are looking at going real fast in straights but may not be as much fun around the whole track. This is just a personal opinion of course and come from some comparative experience of the 991S vs 997TT.
" while NAs are for daily driving (mpg, comfort, easy of mind from turbo car problem?) and twisted road fun( precise driving and preditability of a car)"

I couldn't agree more with above statement..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Question Leather

I was told by another member that the standard leather was really poor quality and he had to endure it for 2 years, and that getting Natural Leather was the only way to go...

Curious how the Natural Leather differs from the standard, and if anyone has experienced such a distaste for the Base Leather?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
I was told by another member that the standard leather was really poor quality and he had to endure it for 2 years, and that getting Natural Leather was the only way to go...

Curious how the Natural Leather differs from the standard, and if anyone has experienced such a distaste for the Base Leather?
Did you have a chance to read all the great info regarding leather among other things posted by z356? I am to sure why all the post were deleted...

Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Coming from 997.2 tt with MT to C2S with PDK, PSE and paddle shifters, my favorite feature with PSE on is to put the car in neutral while driving by pulling both paddles simultaneously and rev the engine The sound from this car is AWESOME!

Last edited by opnielsen; 11-03-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Arrow Turkey Jerky...

I also heard that if one does get the Carerra S in either Cabriolet or Coupe, with PDK, that the Chrono Package is a Must or the shifts are jerky and not as smooth?

Anyone experience this while test driving?

I wonder if some of the jerkiness' comes from not having the: Dynamic Engine Mounts
reduces tansfer of vibration from the engine and drive train under normal driving while the dynamic adjustment of the mounts allows for improved stability under load transfer and during high-speed cornering maneuvers

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 10-31-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Dont know about this being an issue with the "S" but it sure isn't with a 991. I rented a 991 Cab PDK, not "S" in Germany in May, no Sports Chrono, and it was no different in the PDK shifting than the 991S I rented in September (again in Germany) that had Sports Chrono and PDK

John in Vancouver

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Snowczar
I rented a 991 Cab PDK, not "S" in Germany in May
John, where did you rent it and how much was it? Would like to do this myself next time I'm there..

Thnx!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: First Hand Experience Thread for 991 Model; To give Personal Review of ALL Features..