First Hand Experience Thread for 991 Model; To give Personal Review of ALL Features..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Lightbulb First Hand Experience Thread for 991 Model; To give Personal Review of ALL Features..

Please post your experiences with Features from our Beloved 991.
Carerra 911

I ask that you Label your post with a search word that will allow others to search this thread only.

For Example: BURMESTER

I will be straight forward and say that I'm not much of an audiophile.
90% of the time I drive a Porsche, the sound system is off (for obvious reasons)

However I wanted to provide some feedback on the new systems from a "how it sounds to me" perspective.

I will not go into all of the numbers because those are out there for all to read and research. And I can't compare the Burmester because, as you know, it is new to the Carrera.

What I will say about the Burmester system is that if you are the audiophile type don't even question spending the additional money. As good as the Bose is, if I were an audio person, I'd get this system. It sounds so clear, rich and deep (even at low volumes) that you can tell it is some type of really high-end system. The base never feels like vibration. And I also like that this system doesn't have to have "surround" to sound full, unlike the Bose. There is no doubt this system is vastly better than the Bose.

As for the Bose, it sounds much better than the 997 configuration and uses no space in the rear deck for sub woofer box. It now has a specific designed spot in the chassis up front in the dash/bulkhead area. It also uses 9.5 drivers in the doors with inverted magnets, making the design ultra thin, freeing up door panel space for storage. The base is much richer than before, especially at high volume. The re-tune of the system has produced a better "Surround Sound" setting, and again I find it is much better at high volumes than before.

And fyi, the Ipod interface is now in the glove box. No more cables and mess in the center console was the reason for the move.

Personally, the Bose would meet my needs. But without a budget issue or if I were an audiophile, I'd not hesitate on the additional money for the Burmester because it is a vast difference in the sound. It's very obvious in fact. (Provided by Abby Normal of Rennlist.)

Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Question Well, To my first Question

Can anyone tell me about PDLS The Porsche Dynamic Light System. Basically what your experience is when you first used your 911 in the Dark, and if they performed better than you thought or not to your satisfaction, and real life picture of the darker ringed lights.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
I went for Burmester, as for me nothing is better then quality tunes during a great drive. Yes sometimes I just listen to the engine and exhaust, but still like to jam pretty hard sometimes.

I have driven a few cars with PDLS at night,...and it's pretty slick and does exactly what Porsche says it does. If you live in areas with not much light at night, lots of dark curvy roads, it would be a great option. If you do mostly city driving with tons of street and ambient light, it might be more of a novelty and a waste of money.

What I don't like about PDLS is it comes with headlight washers that I never use at all,....just waxing around those little bastards makes me angry. I wish they would offer headlight washers separately.

The other thing I don't like about PDLS is the way it can look on the car,....sometimes the lights are at different angles and look a bit "goofy" IMO, like the car is cross-eyed or something is broken. I'm a symmetrical type of guy, so it just bugs me.

I don't know what you mean by darker ringed lights,.....the interior housing for PDLS lights is darker (dark grey) compared to standard lights which are the standard silver color. From the outside of the car you can see the difference a bit, but it's not a major standout at all,...just a minor one IMO. The average population wouldn't notice at all.

I skipped PDLS and put the money elsewhere. For some it will be a great option.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Thumbs up Goofy-eyed...lol

Wow, you hit on a great many points about the lights. It was on the Porsche Configurator that the entire assembly housing the Bi-Xenon lights looked almost black, and I was actually basing some exterior color options based on the darkness of the PDLS. It is this detailed type of info that has helped me understand exactly what I am getting when i check off the box labeled PDLS.

The Goofy-eyed lights would bug me as well, and just that fact alone would make me shine away, no pun intended... Not to mention I do most if not all my driving in the city.

Thanks Rocket for sharing...

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 10-05-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
What I don't like about PDLS is it comes with headlight washers that I never use at all,....just waxing around those little bastards makes me angry. I wish they would offer headlight washers separately.
I have the chrome headlight washers, does my car has PDLS? That would be cool, I dont remember ordering it. (please see pic attached)

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by galion
I have the chrome headlight washers, does my car has PDLS? That would be cool, I dont remember ordering it. (please see pic attached)
I believe Bi-Xenon head lights all come with headlight washers.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
Wow, you hit on a great many points about the lights. It was on the Porsche Configurator that the entire assembly housing the Bi-Xenon lights looked almost black, and I was actually basing some exterior color options based on the darkness of the PDLS. It is this detailed type of info that has helped me understand exactly what I am getting when i check off the box labeled PDLS.

The Goofy-eyed lights would bug me as well, and just that fact alone would make me shine away, no pun intended... Not to mention I do most if not all my driving in the city.

Thanks Rocket for sharing...
Just an FYI with this short vid of PDLS (in daylight, but it shows well how it works). I do not do a lot of urban driving and put down a lot of rural driving miles in all kinds of weather and at night. I found PDLS to suit my needs!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by arthurk
I believe Bi-Xenon head lights all come with headlight washers.
From what I have seen,....could be wrong....

Until recently PDLS was only available when ordering the Premium or Premium Plus package,....it was included in those along with the headlight washing system.

About a month or so ago PDLS was listed as a separate item under Exterior Options.

Up to the 997.2 Xenon headlights meant the washers came with them,...I believe for the 991 the washers only come with PDLS.

So for me it worked out great as I didn't want the washers or need PDLS.

You can see in this pix that this is a 991S with standard Xenon lights without the washer heads,....and hence no PDLS. (Pretty much a copy of my car when it finally gets here!)

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
From what I have seen,....could be wrong....

Until recently PDLS was only available when ordering the Premium or Premium Plus package,....it was included in those along with the headlight washing system.

About a month or so ago PDLS was listed as a separate item under Exterior Options.

Up to the 997.2 Xenon headlights meant the washers came with them,...I believe for the 991 the washers only come with PDLS.

So for me it worked out great as I didn't want the washers or need PDLS.

You can see in this pix that this is a 991S with standard Xenon lights without the washer heads,....and hence no PDLS. (Pretty much a copy of my car when it finally gets here!)
That's interesting because out here in Oz it looks like the Bi-Xenons have the washers as standard. I have yet to find a car without them even though they dont have PDLS. I guess I will know more once mine arrives.

Here is the extract from the website:

Model shown: 911 Carrera S

The 911 Carrera models are equipped as standard with Bi-Xenon headlights including a headlight cleaning system and dynamic range control. With dipped or main beam, the road ahead is illuminated more uniformly.

Actually just checked the US website and it has the same info - standard with Bi-Xenon headlights including a headlight cleaning system

Sorry to disappoint Rocket_boy your car might just have the little suckers on it..............

Last edited by arthurk; 10-08-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by arthurk
That's interesting because out here in Oz it looks like the Bi-Xenons have the washers as standard. I have yet to find a car without them even though they dont have PDLS. I guess I will know more once mine arrives.

Here is the extract from the website:

Model shown: 911 Carrera S

The 911 Carrera models are equipped as standard with Bi-Xenon headlights including a headlight cleaning system and dynamic range control. With dipped or main beam, the road ahead is illuminated more uniformly.

Actually just checked the US website and it has the same info - standard with Bi-Xenon headlights including a headlight cleaning system

Sorry to disappoint Rocket_boy your car might just have the little suckers on it..............

Well it is still a bit of a mystery, I have seen exactly what I described at my dealer, but as Porsche made some changes mid year to the configurator anything is possible for production.

If you start building a base or S on the configurator (both come standard with Xenons and "supposedly" the washer system),....and you try and have the washers painted body or a different color it says you can't unless you order one of the Premium packages,.....because PDLS is included with those. It's trying to tell you in its own unique way that you don't have PDLS and hence no washer *****.

If you do a search on Cars.com you can see at least a few examples of cars that don't have the washers,.....and doing a bit of research they don't have either of the Premium package installed,....hence no PDLS and no washers (my thought),.....but they do have Xenons.

This should be simple,...anyone out there in the US that did not order either Premium package or PDLS as a separate option?......Does your car have headlight washers?

Two that don't.....

Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 PM
hepmonk will become famous soon enoughhepmonk will become famous soon enough
No headlight washers

Rocket_boy, I have a base, no Premium package and no PDLS. I don't have any headlight washers.

Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 AM
khan is on a distinguished road
Porsche 991 2013 Red

I ordered my 991 and just got it delivered. I kept it simple with all the accessories I wanted that would make the car better performer.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by hepmonk
Rocket_boy, I have a base, no Premium package and no PDLS. I don't have any headlight washers.
Sweet, thanks! Great color BTW!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
Can anyone tell me about PDLS The Porsche Dynamic Light System. Basically what your experience is when you first used your 911 in the Dark, and if they performed better than you thought or not to your satisfaction, and real life picture of the darker ringed lights.
I think it is phenomenal. I joyride my 991s regularly in the dark on winding mountain roads and it truly helps visibility.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM
ocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to behold
Question about the Porsche sport exhaust: do you appreciate it even driving it normal speeds/city driving? I'm debating whether it's worth it since I don't have a long commute and most of my driving is local.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: First Hand Experience Thread for 991 Model; To give Personal Review of ALL Features..