Installing PSE on 3.4 question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:44 AM
MichaelB1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing PSE on 3.4 question

Hi all, I've read through a bunch of posts on this and I am just downright confused at this point. From what I have seen, I can either buy the PSE kit from Suncoast (or a dealer I suppose), and have it installed at the dealer, or I can buy the parts separately.

My 2014 991 C2 has the factory sport tips option. If I buy the kit from Suncoast, am I simply paying a lot extra for the same exact tips already on my car, or are they different?

And if the tips are the same, can I just go ahead and buy the separate piece parts and save quite a bit of money?

If I do buy the piece parts, will I have trouble ordering them, and will the dealer still be able to activate it the same way they would if I had bought the whole kit?

Thanks so much for any help you might have.

Mike

Old 08-13-2016, 04:44 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969
Hi all, I've read through a bunch of posts on this and I am just downright confused at this point. From what I have seen, I can either buy the PSE kit from Suncoast (or a dealer I suppose), and have it installed at the dealer, or I can buy the parts separately.

My 2014 991 C2 has the factory sport tips option. If I buy the kit from Suncoast, am I simply paying a lot extra for the same exact tips already on my car, or are they different?

And if the tips are the same, can I just go ahead and buy the separate piece parts and save quite a bit of money?

If I do buy the piece parts, will I have trouble ordering them, and will the dealer still be able to activate it the same way they would if I had bought the whole kit?

Mike
It's entirely new exhaust system
There are four exhausts

Old 08-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by rnl
It's entirely new exhaust system
There are four exhausts
This is what my car looks like now. It has 4 tips (factory option XLT), but each set of tips has only one exhaust inlet. Looks like the tips on the PSE have 2 inlets and 2 outlets, so each tip essentially has a discrete exhaust pipe feeding it. If that is the case, my existing tips won't work. Bummer.

Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2016, 08:00 PM
mdrobc13 is on a distinguished road

Mike
Just did my car 3.8L PSE install/retrofit. Was easy to do..dealer did it and ordered parts needed. Did not order the full kit from Suncoast as I was upgrading to an aftermarket exhaust. Basically if you order the kit from Suncoast you get everything you need to do PSE including the exhaust. Otherwise you can do the parts yourself and install whatever exhaust you want as there are options out there which are better than PSE.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Why do you need PSE parts if you are going aftermarket?

And which aftermarket options do you like better than PSE?

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by mdrobc13
Just did my car 3.8L PSE install/retrofit. Was easy to do..dealer did it and ordered parts needed. Did not order the full kit from Suncoast as I was upgrading to an aftermarket exhaust. Basically if you order the kit from Suncoast you get everything you need to do PSE including the exhaust. Otherwise you can do the parts yourself and install whatever exhaust you want as there are options out there which are better than PSE.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Why do you need PSE parts if you are going aftermarket?

And which aftermarket options do you like better than PSE?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike
I wanted to have control-ability over the valves which PSE does in-lieu of the valves opening automatically at certain RPMs. So I chose to have the PSE valves/vacuum lines and console button retrofitted into the car so that I can manual do this. Also adds back a bit of value as well. You can then have the option to do PSE exhausts or aftermarket and retain that same ability to control the valves and exhaust sound.

As for aftermarket, ordered AWE initially but returned it as I wanted a full exhaust not just a by-pass. Also AWE is a bit loud when PSE engaged which just takes away from the overall car IMHO. Alot of folks love it and for the cost vs performance its probably a good option but there are better ones out there. Also if its so loud when engaged that you need to turn the PSE off to enjoy the car or not scare little children and draw undue attention then why even go there with the installation? Waste of time/money to me on that note.

Me? I looked at Fabspeed (equal to AWE but lesser quality I have been told by many/similar sound), AWE, and then moved on to Cargraphic and Tubi. Later two were about equal but Cargraphic was better and TUV approved. Lots of good things on it from long term Porsche owners especially friends I have in Europe and Germany. Kline and IPD are next tier products. IPD didn't like the sound and Kline have heard great things about but getting product I felt was a bit problematic here in US. Ultimately I went back to my initial 1st choice and purchased an Akrapovic Ti system for my 991. Felt that it was truly the best sounding one I heard of all and was well worth the cost ultimately. Its not cheap but from all I spoke with and research it was an investment that actually stayed with the car and even on re-sale you basically got what you paid out of it or almost 90% of it. In fact the number of used Akrapovic exhausts I could even find advertised out there I could count on one hand. Folks just don't seem to let go of them. Every sound clip I heard, YouTube video I saw, and the few owners I spoke with stood 100% by them as the best product for their cars. So I pulled the trigger. Afterwards funny enough, even my sales advisor, service advisor, and the master technician at Porsche [who worked on my car] commented to me when how surprised they were at the quality, fit, and especially the sound of the Akrapovic system. Said that it was one of the best aftermarket exhausts they'd done on a 991 car...better than PSE even which they push overall as their #1 recommendation for owners wishing to upgrade their exhausts. Changed their thinking abit and they would have to add that as an alternative choice and asked who my distributor was in CA if they needed to put customers in contact. So glad I pulled the trigger....yes the Akrapovic is NOT cheap but worth it so far IMHO.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Attached Images     

Last edited by mdrobc13; 08-14-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I will check out some of those options. However, some of them are out of my comfort zone price-wise. Just don't want to spend that much. That said, if I was willing to spend the money, the Akrapovic looks like a beautifully made product!

Originally Posted by mdrobc13
Mike
I wanted to have control-ability over the valves which PSE does in-lieu of the valves opening automatically at certain RPMs. So I chose to have the PSE valves/vacuum lines and console button retrofitted into the car so that I can manual do this. Also adds back a bit of value as well. You can then have the option to do PSE exhausts or aftermarket and retain that same ability to control the valves and exhaust sound.

As for aftermarket, ordered AWE initially but returned it as I wanted a full exhaust not just a by-pass. Also AWE is a bit loud when PSE engaged which just takes away from the overall car IMHO. Alot of folks love it and for the cost vs performance its probably a good option but there are better ones out there. Also if its so loud when engaged that you need to turn the PSE off to enjoy the car or not scare little children and draw undue attention then why even go there with the installation? Waste of time/money to me on that note.

Me? I looked at Fabspeed (equal to AWE but lesser quality I have been told by many/similar sound), AWE, and then moved on to Cargraphic and Tubi. Later two were about equal but Cargraphic was better and TUV approved. Lots of good things on it from long term Porsche owners especially friends I have in Europe and Germany. Kline and IPD are next tier products. IPD didn't like the sound and Kline have heard great things about but getting product I felt was a bit problematic here in US. Ultimately I went back to my initial 1st choice and purchased an Akrapovic Ti system for my 991. Felt that it was truly the best sounding one I heard of all and was well worth the cost ultimately. Its not cheap but from all I spoke with and research it was an investment that actually stayed with the car and even on re-sale you basically got what you paid out of it or almost 90% of it. In fact the number of used Akrapovic exhausts I could even find advertised out there I could count on one hand. Folks just don't seem to let go of them. Every sound clip I heard, Youtube video I saw, and the few owners I spoke with stood 100% by them as the best product for their cars. So I pulled the trigger. Afterwards funny enough, even my sales advisor, service adviseo, and the master technician who did my car commented to me when I picked the car up how surprised they were at the quality, fit, and especially the sound of the Akrapovic and commented that it was one of the best aftermarket exhausts they'd done on a car...better than PSE even. So glad I pulled the trigger....not cheap but worth it.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 AM
jerryk991 will become famous soon enoughjerryk991 will become famous soon enough
Michael: I have a base 991 and went through the same questions about the exhaust system. First, you have to consider how long you are really going to have the car as aftermarket items will rarely add any significant value to a car at the time of resale. Yes, they may be the reason for the buyer to go ahead with the purchase but not for a much greater price. Just look at the thread on Reenlist showing prices on resale for 991s and you will see that highly optioned cars depreciate at a much higher percentage.

Your exhaust tips do have value if you decide to put on a new exhaust to somewhat help in the purchase of the new exhaust system. I bought some new ones from Fabspeed and I think they were around $400.

What I wound up doing was I put on an x-pipe and it gave me more than I need as far as enhancing the exhaust sound. It is certainly louder and I get the pops, etc. when driving aggressively, which are missing from the stock exhaust, while at the same time not being annoying when driving casually. I have a cab and with the top down I hear much more than with the top up. Find another car with sport exhaust or aftermarket and drive it and see how much of that great sound you hear when you're in the car.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I will check out some of those options. However, some of them are out of my comfort zone price-wise. Just don't want to spend that much. That said, if I was willing to spend the money, the Akrapovic looks like a beautifully made product!
Thanks its a great product and yes very well made. PM if you want the name of my vendor who gave me great service and a pretty good deal on the system. Understand price range point concerns and believe me I thought it was crazy to go forward with the Akrapovic system initially and am sure my wife would kill me if she new how much I really spent. But take a look around as there are other options out there that are great quality at lesser price. Cargraphic/Tubu in particular are very well made and at a better price point..probably $4k for a full exhaust setup which sound awesome also. And as said AWE seems to be the price/performance favorite out there. GL
Originally Posted by jerryk991
Michael: I have a base 991 and went through the same questions about the exhaust system. First, you have to consider how long you are really going to have the car as aftermarket items will rarely add any significant value to a car at the time of resale. Yes, they may be the reason for the buyer to go ahead with the purchase but not for a much greater price. Just look at the thread on Reenlist showing prices on resale for 991s and you will see that highly optioned cars depreciate at a much higher percentage.

Your exhaust tips do have value if you decide to put on a new exhaust to somewhat help in the purchase of the new exhaust system. I bought some new ones from Fabspeed and I think they were around $400.

What I wound up doing was I put on an x-pipe and it gave me more than I need as far as enhancing the exhaust sound. It is certainly louder and I get the pops, etc. when driving aggressively, which are missing from the stock exhaust, while at the same time not being annoying when driving casually. I have a cab and with the top down I hear much more than with the top up. Find another car with sport exhaust or aftermarket and drive it and see how much of that great sound you hear when you're in the car.
Ditto...listen to a few and talk to as many folks as you can on as many different exhausts you can. One will speak to you and fit your price point and you'll pull the trigger and have a great sounding car. Cabs do have the benefit of improved sound dynamics for sure so take that into account. Of course residual value on whatever you get is a factor of who buys the car next. For me plan to keep the car awhile so I am good on cost vs residual value issues.