996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lap Times Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 PM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
Lime Rock (one of the smallest racetracks around) has a short straight, but it's still longer than a 1/4 mile.

From the point that one hits full gas to the point of braking, there is a long distance. Assuming an entry speed of 80 mph, we can use data from different cars accelerating from 80 mph, and calculate the time it takes to cover 1/4 mile. Cars with plenty of power will shave seconds on such a short straight.

Using average speed for a 1/4 mile segment, we have

90 mph, it takes 10 seconds to cover 1/4 mile
100 mph, it takes 9 seconds to cover 1/4 mile
110 mph, it takes 8.2 seconds to cover 1/4 mile

This is an analysis done by my friends at AxisofOversteer.com. We all use Traqmate to gather data, analyze it and share it. It is a great article written by Andrea (AC) about Lime Rock

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...all-about.html

Sector 5 is the downhill and the main straight right before the braking zone.

In this specific analysis, eliminating the downhill turn, and just leaving the main straight, these are the time differences compared to the 911 Carrera S (355 Hp):

Porsche Cayman S (295 Hp): 0.5 secs slower
BMW M Coupe (315 Hp and gears): 0.35 secs slower
Lotus Elise (190 Hp): 0.5 secs slower

Looking at the power-to-weight ratios:

- Carrera S (3200 lbs + 200 lbs driver / 355 Hp): 9.6 lbs/hp

- Lotus Elise (1900 lbs + 200 lbs driver / 190 Hp): 11.05 lbs/hp

- Cayman S (3000 lbs + 200 lbs driver / 295 Hp): 10.85 lbs/hp (similar to the Elise)

- 2001 BMW M Coupe (3100 lbs + 200 lbs driver / 315 Hp): 10.48 lbs/hp

So, by looking at cars with similar weight, a 60 Hp difference shows a 0.5 secs advantage at the short Lime Rock straight. Add probably another 0.3 secs at no-name straight, and 60 Hp just dropped your lap times by almost 1 sec.

The Cayman S at 3,200 lbs instead of 3,000 lbs, will definitely lose 1 second at Lime Rock to the 997S on the two straights.

Now consider the time advantage between a 415 Hp 996 Turbo and a 60 Hp more powerful 996TT at 475 Hp. We have plenty of 996 Turbo running 475 Hp, 535 Hp, 600 Hp and a few running 650 Hp, 700 Hp, 800 Hp, 900 Hp or more. All these cars will gain seconds on the two short straights at Lime Rock.

Then, when we look at tracks like Pocono North, where half of the track is a NASCAR speedway at full gas, the Speedway section is twice as long as the main straight at Lime Rock.

At Pocono North, the 997 S will gain about 2 seconds over the Cayman S just on the Speedway section.

Finally, turns are connected by straights, and all these small straights are a benefit for the powerful cars.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Im not saying power doesnt hurt...otherwise I wouldnt race my TT, but, I can tell you, that at Summit pt, the total lap time is more kind to lighter cars...this doesnt mean that they have no hp...but say within 50 or so (like TT and a 996GT3)...ya, the tt has the straight, but certain sections just unanimously favor the lighter gt3...

as for limerock...just look at some of the lap times for the damn pinto skip cars at 56 seconds...thats pretty ridiculous for only 130 hp...and on street tires...thats not far from the time Overbeek posted a couple years ago in an rsr...his time was 54.XXseconds...only 2 seconds for that much power increase?? Uhh....haha

Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
recommend sticky!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:24 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
+1

I was going to as well when we got a fair amount of times listed, I think we've gotten there now.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:04 PM
ronkain is on a distinguished road
Laguna Seca 914-6 1:36
Searspoint (Infineon Raceway) 1:44
Thunderhill 2.00 (old engine 3.2L Carb) never went with 3.4L - poss 1:56

Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ronkain
Thunderhill 2.00 (old engine 3.2L Carb) never went with 3.4L - poss 1:56
What does this mean? No guesses please.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:36 PM
ronkain is on a distinguished road
it means that I could probably do a 1:56 with my 3.4L engine, I did a 2:00.xx with my old worn out 3.2L Carb engine.

is that what you ask?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by ronkain
it means that I could probably do a 1:56 with my 3.4L engine, I did a 2:00.xx with my old worn out 3.2L Carb engine.

is that what you ask?

Oh ok, I thought you meant your time was a poss 1:56, my bad.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:20 PM
rmag will become famous soon enough
Summit Point - Main
1:21.30
997 GT3 (stock)
Toyo R-888
G2xtreme Data Logger

VIR - Full
2:11.xx
997 GT3 (stock)
Toyo R-888
G2xtreme Data Logger

Watkins Glen
2:12.xx
997 GT3 (stock)
MPSC N-Spec Crap
G2xtreme Data Logger

Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
hot summit time man...
I should be there (121s) if I can manage to get there when its nice outside...haha

Amazing how fast those 997s can be with a capable driver!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for providing timing Rmag, from now on I will just tag that so we know what's official, and anyone that can provide the timing measure I will add those as well.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I bet we'll see the Summit Point and VIR Full times drop this year... There will be a TT in the 2:0X on VIR full and a 1:1X at Summit main. I bet money on it.

Mike

Originally Posted by sechsgang
hot summit time man...
I should be there (121s) if I can manage to get there when its nice outside...haha

Amazing how fast those 997s can be with a capable driver!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Ill tell you when I get that summit time...haha

Im just hoping for 2.10-11 at VIR when I go in march...but thats pretty damn weather dependent...

Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
sechsgang is getting a cupcar.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
we'll see man...we'll see...

if thats the case, then I should be coming in a bit better at Summit...haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lap Times Thread