996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lap Times Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I agree on having just street cars, we can always check results from GrandAm, American LeMans, IMSA, PCA, POC on-line, to have an idea on how fast these times are. Also, a Pro driver in a street car can't match the same pro driver in a race car.

The times shown by the GMG GT2 were done by a pro-driver (Sofronas). I think that those are a good reference of how capable a modified street car can be.

However, let's consider than modified Turbo cars have such an advantage, that even a pro-driver on a stock Turbo won't be able to keep up with an experienced DE driver with a modified Turbo.

996 Turbos alone are running in between 415 Hp and close to 900 Hp at the track (almost 500 Hp range). While normally aspirated Porsches have a closer range, with 1999 GT3 at 360 Hp to modified 997 GT3 at 420 Hp at most (just a 60 Hp range).

Even when comparing an almost 20 years old 911 like the 1989 911 Carrera 4 with a 3.6 and 247 Hp, the gap with the most powerful version of a 911 (normally aspirated) is 168 Hp, not even close to the 500 Hp difference among 996TT/GT2.

Power helps at those tracks with long straights, such as Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Road America, Road Atlanta, California Speedway Roval, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Infineon, pretty much every track in U.S.

Well if just street cars then only licensed cars that can (not have too) be driven legally to the track will count? That sounds good and levels things somewhat?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
hey, ever post that section from VIR?

Ran a 59.6 at Pocono running the North Course...first lap out, cold tires, 38 degrees...and then caught the back of the pack...that said, I have NO idea how NJ-Gt guy posted that 56.7 in a 996 gt3...thats pretty ridiculous...wouldnt mind the traqmate verification on that one!!!

The hoosier A6 are worth a couple seconds on their own over the R6, I know different cars as well, and verification is always welcome.

Sorry I've been procrastinating on posting those other VIR vids, I'll get them together.

Last edited by heavychevy; 04-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
On another note, the purpose of this thread is for us to see what our cars are capable of in different trims by different drivers at different tracks. While it's not a competition, the ego and such can and will make things difficult. We'll have to come up with a way to verify some times and information, I do know LOTS of people have the tendency to exhaggerate and take a second or three off of their actual elapsed lap time, or go by an estimate, that is not welcome here. At the very least a hand time with a verifiable source, but most preferred is verified times. In fact I'm going to differentiate the actual data times from the hands times even. Hand timers at least be able to tell us who timed you.

I know this can get out of hand so I'm trying to nip it in the bud quickly. I'd like to keep the cup cars and race cars in the equation because it's likely that some of us could end up driving them and we'll still want to be included with our accomplishments. But still no posting times for someone else. PERIOD
!

Verified times are now in blue, I cant remember all the times and how they were gotten but most I put how it was taken by the name. From now on a time without a source gets ignored.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Guys do we want to include forum members with other cars as well? I dont want a bunch of people coming here to just add their laps times, but dont mind at all if we add some others, but I wanted to ask first to make sure.

I think maybe a post minimum to make sure it's active members and not just guys posting times.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
every time I have mentioned here is Traqmate verified. The Summit Pt time is PCA verified as well.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Changed.

If no one objects in a couple of days I'm going to add active members times in other makes and models as well. And our guys that move on to different cars can give us an idea of the comparison.

100 post or 1 year + 50 post minimum to add time to the list.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
My time was on Traqmate Dez, i used two peoples, Jenk's and another guy who i'll get the data from!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok Martin.

BTW I forgot to add, videos are good as verification as well.

Adding these rules.

RULES:

- Time must be actually timed, no guesses or estimates.
- Driver must be an active member of 6speedonline (100 posts or 1year + 50 posts)
- Must be willing to supply data if applicable and the time is questioned BY ANYONE (for data times only)
- Times may be questioned by any active member. So save your data. (you go to the black list otherwise)
- Driver must submit their own time.
- All makes and models allowed.

Last edited by heavychevy; 04-07-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Question, is GT3nut Dell? I know he's got vids of his stuff somewhere.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
i thought gt3nut was Matt einstein

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
OH. either way, matt did not post those times I dont think so I'm removing them to keep the rules in tact. He has plenty of fast stuff to add when he's ready.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tom kerr
VIR via traqmate my best was a 2:11. I know that sucks and I could do much better but after you rip your front spliter off, you rip a little mojo off with it!!

How bout some Sebring times?? I will be running the NASA time trials this season. Seems like 2:30 or better is pretty good. Cups run I think in the 2 minute mid teens. Any of you guys with Sebring times?? My best there so far has been a 2:28 but I will be there with a traqmate and coach this weekend.

Wasnt following this thread initially cause thought all kinds of undocumented posers would just talk trash.........so how bout traqmate data or transponder data or race or time trial results other than posts like say the one below me (nothing personal TT Gasman) just an example of how anyone can say anything.

also for those of us not familar to a particular track some reference times would be helpful, ie to use the below Gasman post (sorry) I have no idea what our cars should run there so is the 2:05 the fastest time in the world or does it suck?

thanks
No offense taken Tom, that 2:05 was off the in car sport chrono, so there is probably some timing variation. FWIW that is my personal best time out there, my old Carrera would run in the 2 teens, most of the really fast guys run under 2:00 (so I'm old and slow). So not gps or traqmate verified, just a street car. I think eclou has run in the 1:57 range or there abouts as a reference with some mods. There is at least one other stock 997TT that is very fast and must be running sub 2 minute times.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 04-07-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
i know ive broke 2;10 BUT will verify soon

Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
You added a 1 where there should be a zero. Looking forward to putting it in blue.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sechsgang
hey, ever post that section from VIR?

Ran a 59.6 at Pocono running the North Course...first lap out, cold tires, 38 degrees...and then caught the back of the pack...that said, I have NO idea how NJ-Gt guy posted that 56.7 in a 996 gt3...thats pretty ridiculous...wouldnt mind the traqmate verification on that one!!!
I did not have my traqmate back in 2006, but here are the official results from the NNJR-PCA Porscherama 2006. My time is still the top time on the last three years on that event. A week later I got a 2nd place at the SCCA Solo Nationals.

The funny thing is that my right rear Moton broke the hose to the compression canister the day before during practice, so I ran with no compression/rebound on my right rear shock, as the piston was freely moving.

The A6 are 0.3 secs faster than the R6 at Pocono North. The MPSC about 0.8 second slower than A6 . The Toyo RA1 (my practice tire of choice) around 1.2 secs slower than the A6. The Michelin Slicks on S7 compound are about 0.5 secs faster than the A6.

With slicks and 4 good shocks, my car can hit 55s.

http://members.rennlist.com/nj_gt/20...rall_Score.pdf

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lap Times Thread