996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A VERY custom 996 GT2 "RSR"...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
GTS-R is on a distinguished road
1badGT2: In regards to the BBS wheels, where did you order monoblock wheels from? Do they only make them for centerlock applications? Where you able to specify offset and size?

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute
I had to beg for them thru someone who had an "in" at BBS Racing. These are the actual monoblock racing wheels that are specifically made for the 997 RSR. If you look at seriouswheels.com under 997 RSR pics, you will see them on the car. And yes, they only come in centerlocks to fit the racing hubs, which I actually believe are the same hubs that come on the Carrerra GT. Offset and size only come in one set-up. I actually got lucky and they fit my particular body kit perfectly. They are approximately $11,000 for the four.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Amazing project, I can't wait to see the finished product. Enjoy it, and bring it down to Daytona/Sebring sometime...I would love to see it in person.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM
GTS-R is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1badgt2
I had to beg for them thru someone who had an "in" at BBS Racing. These are the actual monoblock racing wheels that are specifically made for the 997 RSR. If you look at seriouswheels.com under 997 RSR pics, you will see them on the car. And yes, they only come in centerlocks to fit the racing hubs, which I actually believe are the same hubs that come on the Carrerra GT. Offset and size only come in one set-up. I actually got lucky and they fit my particular body kit perfectly. They are approximately $11,000 for the four.
Again, I am in awe.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
alexandbella is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jean
Great decisions. I have gone through the same challenging exercice to build a street car that could act almost like a race car on the track, while keeping most of the comfort.

One thing you will find difficult to balance for street usage is the suspension, with so much power on tap and little weight, your challenge will be to keep the car straight under acceleration especially coming out of corners when you are not perfectly straight, you will need to add race mounts to your rear subframe to reduce squat and keep the balance, this alone will change the streetability of the car, I had to do the same thing. As to the sequential, I had one and it truly is a fun killer on the street.

Your car looks like a track car more than a street car IMO (which I find beautiful!), I also have the same issue, however I would not give up the functionality of the increased width as a result of the GT2 flares. I think that he most "racey" part of your car is the rear wing, and I am not sure about its functionality. I would suggest that you do somehting similar to the old 993Gt2s, where we use a bolt-on boomerang wing when on the track, and then you keep the regular GT2 wing on the street, which is in itself an attention grabber unfortunately.

Here are a couple of pics that I took earlier this month from an extremely fast RSR, it was faster than the other 2 by about a 1/2 second per lap, all driven by pro-drivers. It had really nice bodywork all intended to increase downforce.

That's Scott's car right?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM
1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Jean

I think the rear diffuser on the Juniper car has everything to do with how the car "sticks" to the track. I have not seen a set-up on other RSRs yet, i.e. Lizard or Tafel, although Tafel has defected to Ferrari. I am hoping that my diffuser will have a similar effect although it will not be as radical as that on the Juniper RSR.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
kennyjr748 is on a distinguished road
Call Cary Eisenlohr of ERP Racing Products at 562-595-5575. Its about 24K for everything in carbon kevlar. Loren Beggs at 911 Design can help as well. But he will want to build the car for you. He has been an outstanding help in putting this car together. You cannot beat his technical knowledge if you want to really get into to the design and tuning of the suspension, engine, etc. He is at 909-627-1276.

Cary and Loren are the best in the business.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Jean

I think the rear diffuser on the Juniper car has everything to do with how the car "sticks" to the track. I have not seen a set-up on other RSRs yet, i.e. Lizard or Tafel, although Tafel has defected to Ferrari. I am hoping that my diffuser will have a similar effect although it will not be as radical as that on the Juniper RSR.
Yes I definitely agree. I was trying to give an example of the importance downforce would have on a car like yours, as you will be much faster than an RSR. This aerodynamic setup is not the usual on the RSRs.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jean
It took me a good two months to figure out why the car was unstable in the rear under acceleration and coming out of turns (not sliding, just wobbling), turned out to be the subframe mounts, they give the suspension a different geometry (on the 993 at least)
guys are good!
This is very intressting, can you elaborate this some more, i think i feel the same on my car

Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Too Friken Cool!!

Can you tell us where you obtained the front and rear fender flares?
Are they steel or Glass?
What about the front and rear bumper covers?
Keep the pics coming...........great project!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alexandbella
That's Scott's car right?
Correct- yes.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 PM
sLaM has a spectacular aura aboutsLaM has a spectacular aura about
wow! can't wait to see video clips of the final product.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SMR
This is very intressting, can you elaborate this some more, i think i feel the same on my car
Would like to know as well!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Freier is on a distinguished road
Great project, it looks like your off in the right direction. Keep us posted!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
invids is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Freier
Great project, it looks like your off in the right direction. Keep us posted!
seriously! +1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A VERY custom 996 GT2 "RSR"...