996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My car hit a stair on the highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
raidentech can only hope to improve
My car hit a stair on the highway

I was on the highway this morning, and I didn't see a construction stair on the fast lane. My car hit it. I couldn't avoid it on time. Kinda suck. I saw my rear sway bar broke, and now the stock muffler sounds funny. The muffler sounds like a little bid louder and more humming sound than before. So anyone with any idea what is wrong? Is the exhaust lose? I might call my insurance company and have the car check out. Any reliable mechanic around the San Gabriel Area?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Your exauhst may have a hole in or damaged in some way

Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raidentech
I was on the highway this morning, and I didn't see a construction stair on the fast lane. My car hit it. I couldn't avoid it on time. Kinda suck. I saw my rear sway bar broke, and now the stock muffler sounds funny. The muffler sounds like a little bid louder and more humming sound than before. So anyone with any idea what is wrong? Is the exhaust lose? I might call my insurance company and have the car check out. Any reliable mechanic around the San Gabriel Area?

Thanks.
Road hazard is covered by comp/collision usually with no deductable or increase in your insurance rates. Take it to a realiable shop and have the insurance adjuster review it.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
no way to tell unless you have the car on a lift. i'd not drive it until you have it checked out. insurance will likely jack up your rate if you file a claim. anytime ur car is moving, it's consider a collision even if it's something you can't avoid. at least this is what statefarm tells me.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
^^+1

If you hit a stationary object in the road, it's your fault. If the object was moving and hit you, then you're not at fault in the collision.

Don't ask me how I know

Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Don't have to ask... we know. School bus related??

Originally Posted by RiA
^^+1

If you hit a stationary object in the road, it's your fault. If the object was moving and hit you, then you're not at fault in the collision.

Don't ask me how I know

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
you have a good memory Eugene

Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
No SubstiTTute will become famous soon enough
FWIW, A rock broke the lens on the turn signal lamp housing of my SUV while driving on the highway. It was covered under my auto comprehensive policy.

Also, I got hit on the roof of the Turbo coupe by a hunk of metal road debris kicked up by a passing county sheriff. He was moving at a high rate of speed on his way to a call. (One of those heavy cinchdown buckles with about a 3 foot length of belt.. the kind that you see on flatbeds...it was laying in the paved median, his rear tire threw it up about 10 feet in the air..then Bam!) Put a dent on the roof just aft of the windshield in line with the steering wheel. Talked to the sheriff later...he said sorry, incidental damage from road debris, they are not responsible.. Once again it was covered under the comprehensive portion of the insurance policy. I was fortunate that I was not traveling in a top down cab!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 AM
No SubstiTTute will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
Hope all goes well for you.. Maybe a good time for an exhaust upgrade?!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RiA
^^+1

Don't ask me how I know
I remember you writing about the school bus incident too!!

Good and correct explanation.

Collision= you hit a stationary object in the road.
Comp= Moving object (other than a car) hit's you.

Either way, you comp or collision deductible will apply. It's just a question of chargability. Comp claim are typically not chargable and are not held against you. A collision claim that is your fault, will be a chargable claim.

BTW: What is a construction stair? Any pics?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will call up my insurance company and see.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
My insurance company said even if it's not my fault, I have to pay the deductible. How come some of you guys don't have to pay the deductible? Just wondering, cause my deductible is $1k, and the damage might not exceed that.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
My insurance company said even if it's not my fault, I have to pay the deductible. How come some of you guys don't have to pay the deductible? Just wondering, cause my deductible is $1k, and the damage might not exceed that.

Different companies have different policies. Some have forgiveness programs. Some companies will waive the deductible if they know they will be able to recover from an "at fault" party,

If someone else had hit your car and the insurance company has a "promised payment" from the liable party's insurance, they may waive the deductible as they know they will be able to fully recover their losses.

All depends on your company, policy, history, and circumstances of the loss.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Stair should be a ladder. My bad.