996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Potential 996 Turbo owner; looking for information and opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
jbaker1121 is on a distinguished road
Potential 996 Turbo owner; looking for information and opinions

Hey guys,
A while back my father and I were looking at 964-era porsches for a "fun" car on the side, but just figured for the money they are asking for them it would be "better" to get a newer model turbo.
While searching this weekend we came across a super clean '01 996 Turbo tiptronic, black/black with 22k Miles. They are asking $45.5k
Options:
CARBON DECOR PKG
CARBON/ALUMINUM TIPTRONIC SHIFT LEVER/BRAKE HANDLE
SELF-DIMMING INTERIOR/DRIVER EXTERIOR MIRRORS
HEATED FRONT SEAT PKG
FULL LEATHER SEATS
5-SPEED TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
http://www.kammotorsportsinc.com/cgi-bin/showroom.cgi?mode=show&id=854146&d_id=1267
The car is mint, pictures show no body damage besides the fading of the wheel center caps.
The place was closed yesterday and is closed today for the holiday, but we are expecting to take a look at it as soon as possible; the place is a good hour's drive from where we live.
Yes, it's an automatic, but my father is approaching 60 years of age and already has a bad wrist/ankles from years of tennis and golf, and NYC driving calls for something a little easier to drive as a DD. Also, in case my mother needs to drive it she will be able to. This will takeover my father's Jaguar xk8 convert as his DD.
Basically, I wanted some opinions on the price/mileage with the options shown, at the same time I will be browsing the site for more details, common issues, things to watch out for, what to "check" before purchase, etc. specific to 996 turbos. The carbon interior is a bit gimmicky in my opinion (No way, a twenty year old "gar guy" thinks carbon fiber is gimmicky!?) , was this a factory option or an aftermarkey addon? I cannot tell the quality from the pictures.
Any help is appreciated, because we are pretty new to porsche vehicles
(besides the '85 Carrera my father bought new in 85 and had for 3 years)
But love german engineering (Mercedes, to be precise)
Thanks!
Some pictures from the dealer:

love the *** shot

i already know I will be removing the front plastic bumper guards and plate.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-04-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site
Old 07-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Looks prett clean- good luck and price isn't bad if it checks out.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM
rjp
rjp is on a distinguished road
removing the front bumperettes is more difficult than it may seem, as I recall from reading posts. I'd search that topic and budget accordingly.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by rjp; 07-05-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Beautiful car and nice low miles. The price seems about right.

FYI, My car has bumperettes as well and I've already looked into the bumperette removal. You will need either a new bumper or have the current bumper repaired. Unfortunately, the bumper guards leave holes in the bumper when they are removed. The bumper guards don't look nearly as bad on a black car.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Looks prett clean- good luck and price isn't bad if it checks out.
Thanks, I agree. I should be hearing back from the dealer today so I can arrange a time to actually see it in person/drive it, etc.

Originally Posted by rjp
removing the front bumperettes is more difficult than it may seem, as I recall from reading posts. I'd search that topic and budget accordingly.

Good luck with your search!
I will search. I have a body shop who does work for me and my father since the owner is one of my father's clients, so if anything we can have them take care of it.

Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
Beautiful car and nice low miles. The price seems about right.

FYI, My car has bumperettes as well and I've already looked into the bumperette removal. You will need either a new bumper or have the current bumper repaired. Unfortunately, the bumper guards leave holes in the bumper when they are removed. The bumper guards don't look nearly as bad on a black car.
I'll have to see it in person. Like I said above, I have resources that will let me be able to get the bumper cleaned up so we may end up removing them. I'm guessing they were a factory option?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
That is great that you have a hook up with a local body shop. Wish I had the same. I've got another turbo bumper without the bumper guards waiting to go into the shope and get painted.

The bumper guards were not a factory option. The first 500 turbos imported into the US had the bumper guards. Hope the car checks out for you.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
just get a ppi at a local dealer, will set you back a few hunded bucks but it's well worth it. looks like the car has some carbon interior items, but you will notice that they are yellowish as the sun has beat them up. this is common

so the car

black on black, this is obviously a selling point for resale
tiptronic, many turbo owners look for manuals and they actually fetch more than tips
carbon +

Overall try to get the car for around 43 plus taxes.

as an fyi those bumperettes on the front bumper indicate its a very early 2001 car, this was deleted mid 2001. therefore this is one of the older 996 turbos out there.

mike

Last edited by porka; 07-05-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
That is great that you have a hook up with a local body shop. Wish I had the same. I've got another turbo bumper without the bumper guards waiting to go into the shope and get painted.

The bumper guards were not a factory option. The first 500 turbos imported into the US had the bumper guards. Hope the car checks out for you.
Thanks, that's good information to help "sway" the price.
Yeah, its good to have conections! Luckily I've neevr had to use a bodyshop for my car besides custom paintwork! *knock on wood

Originally Posted by porka
just get a ppi at a local dealer, will set you back a few hunded bucks but it's well worth it. looks like the car has some carbon interior items, but you will notice that they are yellowish as the sun has beat them up. this is common
so the car
black on black, this is obviously a selling point for resale
tiptronic, many turbo owners look for manuals and they actually fetch more than tips
carbon +
Overall try to get the car for around 43 plus taxes.
as an fyi those bumperettes on the front bumper indicate its a very early 2001 car, this was deleted mid 2001. therefore this is one of the older 996 turbos out there.
mike
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.
Black/Black, people probably get sick of the upkeep, etc I agree, but who doesn't love the look!
I understand m/t are more popular than TIPtronic, expecially on a turbo.
The carbon, like I said, I hate anyway, and yes I see the yellowing and know it is common. I will most likely remove it to be honest. (do you know if it was a factory option?)

We are trying to get about $43k plus tax, like you said. I am just waiting on the dealer to get back to me so we can actually go see the thing!
It is good info to know it is an earlier 2001 model! Hopefully this car doesnt have the first-model-year issues thatsome cars have!

I've been looking around, seems therear spoiler hydraulic rams are known to fail, and the coolant expansion tanks aparently split at the seams and need to be replaced eventually.

Thanks guys!

edit: Just heard back from the dealer. I think we are going to go look at it later today!

Last edited by jbaker1121; 07-05-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Good luck, hope it checks out and you get to call it your own soon!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Good luck, hope it checks out and you get to call it your own soon!
Thanks!

So we went and looked at it today; We are currently negotiating price with the dealer: they listed it for $45k, we said $40k and we'll meet in the middle. I'm guessing they'll say $43.5k or $44k, so We are planning to offer $42.5k tops.

The salesman was trying to tell me that "that's what they paid for the car" and thet "theres no room for profit with that price" Which I know is BS.
Frist of all, I knew more about the car than he did and I've only been thoroughly searching for information for two days. Plus, I have dealer-info about the wholesale price, auction price average, etc and know he is BSing.
We'll see.

There are some issues with the car.

The rear passenger tire is bald; the other rear is getting there. Fronts are ok. They look like the original tires but the carfax says "tires replaced"

The body is an 8/10. There are some door dings, scratches, scrapes that were covered up on the bumpers, the part of the bumper right above the diffuser right in the middle has a nice gash that was covered up, otherwise there is nothing major.

The one front wheel is actually missing the center cap; the other front is just fading.

There seems to be something "missing" from the two side vents behind the doors. When I look into them, there is nothing....there is primer with a little bit of black overspray. Does a duct belong in here? Should it be sprayed body color? I didnt take a picture but See the first picture; you can kind of see what I am talking about. Here is an example of what I mean http://www.ladismantler.com/index.ph...tem&inv_id=973
If oyu look at the pic where you can see "into" the tube, it kind of looks like grey primer iwth black overspray, unless that is just reflection. This car had grey paint in there with some black overpsray.

The car drove nicely, idled nicely, tracked straight, brakes were good, everything worked fine besides the boot release button on the kick panel; it did not work. However, they have pictures form under the hood so obviously it was working.
I did the psi check, started it without AC and listened, the idle was exactly as described, No exhaust rattle, motor sounded nice, it pulled nicely, the transmission was smooth, everything seemed pretty nice.
The ride was just like I expected a 10 year old porsche to ride. Stiff, but sporty.
The carbon trim needs to be replaced...it was yellow, faded, and cracky. Apparently it was the dealer option but it looks low-quality to me.

We'll see what happens with the price. I think we can pay what we want to
We are paying in full by either check or wire, and they are aware of that. I'm sure thye will not pass up $42.5k considering the issues listed above.

Last edited by jbaker1121; 07-05-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Also, some "outside information" about the car price

here is that said information:
---Based on 7/1/2011 Galves books
Base Price: $34,000 Adds/Deducts: $0 Subtotal: $34,000 Odometer Adj: $3,825 Override: Wholesale: $37,825
Base Price: $35,650 Adds/Deducts: $0 Subtotal: $35,650 Odometer Adj: $3,825 Override: MarketReady: $39,475

---Based on most recent auction 6/20/2011
national: # vehicles: 7
Average Odometer: 36,000
Average Auction Price: $32,684
Regional: # vehicles: 1
Average odometer: 29,578
Average Auction Price: $27,300

Galves Wholesale Price: $37,825
rbook Price: $49,541
Auction Price: 27,300
MMR: $42,000

With the price I am offering them, if they paid around that wholesale price for the car, they are still within a 10% profit margin of $38k + $3800 = $41800 rounded to $42k.
If you follow the MMR (Manheim Market Report ) wholesale price of $42k, which I doubt they paid, then maybe his "we paid that" story is true. But then why would you price it with only a $3k profit?
I doubt they grabbed it at around that auction price; since they go to auction in PA, they probably paid closer to wholesale. Overall, they will still be making a few bucks if we pay $42k.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,If that is what you are looking for then thats great...But if it is only about price,,,,,,,,I think that you would be better off for resale down the road if it was a manuel,,,,BUT if you want a tip then thats great...Also I think you could find a 2002 for about the same price from a private owner who most likely also kept his car up and put money into extras...Not to mention a 2002 has some more conveniece features and updates as compared to an early 2001....IMO.....Good Luck

Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
shredder has a spectacular aura aboutshredder has a spectacular aura about
I am shopping in this price range as well. From the body damage you are describing, I have seen better cars for that price at dealers. If it has such low mileage there should be no dings, gashes, or scrapes... I have already looked at 2 turbos, and 03 and an 01 and the bodies were nearly perfect. One had a minor chip on the spoiler, probably a garage accident. Also, I dont think you should have to buy a car in that price range with any sun damage at all. I dont know of any turbos that are left outside on a regular basis. I dont want to spoil your purchase, but from what you are describing and from what I am seeing on the market here in CA, there is a big discrepancy, and I think you should at least look at a couple more cars before you buy that one. Oh and get the PPI somewhere. Once it is on a lift, you may be able to tell more definitively if there was body work done to it.
regards,
Scott

Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 AM
USAF CRO will become famous soon enough
Wink Don't buy!

I just bought an ultra-clean 05' 996TT Cab / Tip for 46K! Don't waste your time retail unless you are looking for a CPO Car. Seek a private sale, by a real Porsche Owner not a kid. Chances are, they are looking to make room in their Garage for a new Turbo and would rather sell their car to you than take a hit on trade in. The advantage for you is that you negotiate from a position of power, get the real truth on the history of the car and save serious money on taxes which enables you to spend a few more dollars on quality (condition, year model, mileage, etc.)

Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jbaker1121
There seems to be something "missing" from the two side vents behind the doors. When I look into them, there is nothing....there is primer with a little bit of black overspray. Does a duct belong in here? Should it be sprayed body color? I didnt take a picture but See the first picture; you can kind of see what I am talking about. Here is an example of what I mean http://www.ladismantler.com/index.ph...tem&inv_id=973
If oyu look at the pic where you can see "into" the tube, it kind of looks like grey primer iwth black overspray, unless that is just reflection. This car had grey paint in there with some black overpsray.
Yes, there should be a plastic duct to take the air smoothly from the opening into the intercooler in the lower rear bumper area. If that's missing that's troubling since I can't see why it would be "lost" unless there was damage there and they did a poor job fixing it.

The car has a lot of little problems that are obvious. Problems that are not obvious would concern me. It hasn't been pampered nor well maintained. So it should be a steal, or walk away. I'd shoot for $38K. Low mileage with neglect is not a "good deal".

Are there maintenance documents and a CarFax report?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential 996 Turbo owner; looking for information and opinions