996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgrade from k16/gr2860rs worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Upgrade from k16/gr2860rs worth it?

So I have k16/2860rs turbos. From the old Evo 700 kits I'm told. Anyway, for those that know more than myself, I'd like to ask opinion on upgrade. I am looking at possibly sending the units out to Blouch and having a 2871 wheel stuffed in there. That is a ton more cost efficient than jumping into a new turbo. I had also seen a previous thread where a tuner (EPL I believe) mentioned doing a billet 2868 wheel?
Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Or have any other recommendations? I like having full boost at 3k, but am
Looking for a bit more power. Will the 2871 fit the bill? Or 2868 billet?
I know ultimately I'm limited by my k16 hotside as far as flow. I'm looking to stay away from any $5k turbo upgrades at this point... Any suggestions are appreciated.

K16/2860rs
Evo vflow
Evo IC w/hoses
W/m injection
60# injectors
Fvd turbo inlet pipes
Milltek catless exhaust

Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
So I have k16/2860rs turbos. From the old Evo 700 kits I'm told. Anyway, for those that know more than myself, I'd like to ask opinion on upgrade. I am looking at possibly sending the units out to Blouch and having a 2871 wheel stuffed in there. That is a ton more cost efficient than jumping into a new turbo. I had also seen a previous thread where a tuner (EPL I believe) mentioned doing a billet 2868 wheel?
Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Or have any other recommendations? I like having full boost at 3k, but am
Looking for a bit more power. Will the 2871 fit the bill? Or 2868 billet?
I know ultimately I'm limited by my k16 hotside as far as flow. I'm looking to stay away from any $5k turbo upgrades at this point... Any suggestions are appreciated.

K16/2860rs
Evo vflow
Evo IC w/hoses
W/m injection
60# injectors
Fvd turbo inlet pipes
Milltek catless exhaust
My technical knowledge in this turbo mix/match area is limited, but I would be concerned that your housings are too small to put a larger wheel in there without making too much heat...

Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 AM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
I'm definitely open to any suggestions and concerns.
Also, I have taken suggestions from the tuner I am going to go with (regardless of what turbo I end up with), and I am not here to contradict or undermine his knowledge. I am merely seeking opinions and concerns such as the one above. Heat was something I hadnt thought of! Thanx!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
I figure you could get a set of k24 cores and get some 18 or 20gs made for ~$3300 total.

Then sell your old hybrids? And you don't have to wait.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
That was also an idea I had thrown around. I'd imagine the 20G pull more up top than the k16/28s would? How would low end compare?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:38 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
You need to run more boost/race gas to get the benefit from 20Gs.
Your setup looks nicely paired with some k24/18gs. I've got a very similar setup and went with 18gs.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by vr4henry
You need to run more boost/race gas to get the benefit from 20Gs.
Your setup looks nicely paired with some k24/18gs. I've got a very similar setup and went with 18gs.
i understand that the 20G shine over the 18G on higher boost. im just trying to decide if that would be a better setup for me than what i have now, or going with a 2871 (which, my tuner assures me Blouch does very nicely inside this housing, but recommends nothing bigger)

eventually, id like to run 10's in the 1/4, and a low 6 or so 60-130. is that possible with a k16 hotside and a 2860 or 2871 wheel? any other wheel i could cram in there (billets?) or would those goals be much easier attained with just jumping into a k24/ 18 or 24G?

Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
i understand that the 20G shine over the 18G on higher boost. im just trying to decide if that would be a better setup for me than what i have now, or going with a 2871 (which, my tuner assures me Blouch does very nicely inside this housing, but recommends nothing bigger)

eventually, id like to run 10's in the 1/4, and a low 6 or so 60-130. is that possible with a k16 hotside and a 2860 or 2871 wheel? any other wheel i could cram in there (billets?) or would those goals be much easier attained with just jumping into a k24/ 18 or 24G?
These are my observations :

For 18gs I've seen a few low 6s (even a 5.99) but not with pump gas. As far as I know there are also only a handful of 10sec runs.

The K16 hybrid stuff will pretty much always be slower. The hot side chokes them up top which obviously isn't good for highway pulls or 1/4 miles, but they spool very fast which could be great for road racing or putting around city streets.

In general 10's aren't easily attainable with these cars, so the people I see run those numbers tend to have mega turbo kits and higher trap speeds than what you'd think would be necessary to get the ET.

Just my thoughts, but like I said before -- I'm in a pretty similar situation and figured 18gs would be the best compromise.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Markski or Protomotive would be the people to talk to about this..They have done many combo's..
I am kinda in the same boat...After I do the 74TB and Proto modified Y-pipe to match up...I hope I am ready for K24/20's with my below supporting mods.....

Last edited by johnspeed; 02-11-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
16/16g's can get you low 6's and 10's in the 1/4 Mile. BUT, you can do it much easier with a Tiptronic. With a 6 speed, you have a better chance of running low 6's (60-130) with small hybrids, but most drivers are not skilled enough or wiling to break axels to attemp 10's with anything smaller than 20g's.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I run 2871s, not sure the difference between 60 and 71; I would rather sell the 2860s and go to either 3071s or 3076s if I were you.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 AM
thanx for all the input. my understanding is the 20G and 2871 both have about a 45lb wheel. i understand an alpha 30 would be a good setup, but im trying to stay below that price threshold. i can send my hybrids to get a 2871 wheel for about $1300. sourcing a set of used K24, then having a 18 or 20G stuffed in there would be, what... $3500 or so maybe? then if i sold my hybrids, id probably only be out about the same amount as doing a 2871, give or take.
thats why im on the debate between these two, and anyone with any experience with the 2 would be greatly appreciated.

MY996TT: do you not like the 2871? what is your setup and whats your take on them?

Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI Flying Guy ,I sent you a PM...

Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Billet 18g's and your GOLDEN.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Billet 20g's and your PLATINUM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrade from k16/gr2860rs worth it?