996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Power Steering Reservoir/Hoses HELP ASAP :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned
SaikoE36 is on a distinguished road
Power Steering Reservoir/Hoses HELP ASAP :(

Hey guys So i did the gt2 conversion and everything but i did mess up the RED Connection of the power steering reservoir hoses Anyone know where i can just get those connections? Ive tried pelican parts. anther Porsche parts department and they said id have to buy the hose? Please tell me someone knows where to buy the connector? The Petosin is leaking from that area

Anybody?

Name:  IMG_0265.jpg
Views: 4327
Size:  54.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0264.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  58.9 KB

Old 03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
From what I can see from the pix you are going to need hoses. Alls you have to do is have one little scratch and they will leak. I think you are going to need a new tank as well. I don't think you can just get the connectors. If you do find a source for the plastic connectors please share.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
From what I can see from the pix you are going to need hoses. Alls you have to do is have one little scratch and they will leak. I think you are going to need a new tank as well. I don't think you can just get the connectors. If you do find a source for the plastic connectors please share.
Im sure its just the connector cause thats where the leak was coming from... the hoses werent leaking when i had the car on .... at least i didnt notice any

Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I'm 100% sure it's NOT the red connector causing your leak as the red connectors on the reservoir tank DO NOT have any sealing function. They just keep the hose from popping out. An O-ring within the reservoir forms the seal. If you don't remove the hoses properly (a special fork type tool is needed to press in the collar evenly so you can pull the hose out) you will very easily put a tiny scratch in the smooth hose end nipple and that will result in a leak. If you don't correct it then the pentosin will flow down over the back of the engine and destroy the passenger side coolant pipe rubber seal. Ask me how I know. The red connectors (collars) are not sold separately and can only be acquired with the purchase of a new reservoir tank. Been there, done that.... In my case, I was able to get a faulty used reservoir tank from a member here for $50 just so I could get the red collars. There may be some used tanks laying around in people's garages.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-12-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
New tank serious $

Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
New tank serious $
About $550 or so....

Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
About $550 or so....

i know

Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I'm 100% sure it's NOT the red connector causing your leak as the red connectors on the reservoir tank DO NOT have any sealing function. They just keep the hose from popping out. An O-ring within the reservoir forms the seal. If you don't remove the hoses properly (a special fork type tool is needed to press in the collar evenly so you can pull the hose out) you will very easily put a tiny scratch in the smooth hose end nipple and that will result in a leak. If you don't correct it then the pentosin will flow down over the back of the engine and destroy the passenger side coolant pipe rubber seal. Ask me how I know. The red connectors (collars) are not sold separately and can only be acquired with the purchase of a new reservoir tank. Been there, done that.... In my case, I was able to get a faulty used reservoir tank from a member here for $50 just so I could get the red collars. There may be some used tanks laying around in people's garages.

But i swear i saw the pentosin leaking from that connector where its broken.. not from the hoses

Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by SaikoE36
But i swear i saw the pentosin leaking from that connector where its broken.. not from the hoses
It leaks from the junction where the hose nipple plugs in to the reservoir through the red collar. Again, the red collar has no sealing function. It is simply a retainer but the leak will come from the same area.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM
sweeney186 will become famous soon enough
The red collars only purpose is to release the finger retainers that hold the hose in when pushed toward the tank,no sealing properties.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
IIRC there's a thread over here about how to modify the reservoir's connections to foolproof ones. I strongly recommend to search, read and do!

Pentosin, in addition to being harmful to rubber, is highly flammable! Don't ask how I know...

Basically it's done like this: Remove the reservoir and the pump. DIY if you have WSM or good instructions available. Disconnect pump's connection to clutch pressure drive. (Find the thread, it's all in there...) Weld shut all extra fittings and weld a AN male fitting for PS return line. PS feed line is already threaded, so no need there. Get new PS lines, custom ones... The fittings on the other end (towards the steering rack) can be reused for these custom lines if removed carefully.

EDIT: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ir-change.html

Last edited by pete95zhn; 03-13-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned
I couldnt find the DIY

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
IIRC there's a thread over here about how to modify the reservoir's connections to foolproof ones. I strongly recommend to search, read and do!

Pentosin, in addition to being harmful to rubber, is highly flammable! Don't ask how I know...

Basically it's done like this: Remove the reservoir and the pump. DIY if you have WSM or good instructions available. Disconnect pump's connection to clutch pressure drive. (Find the thread, it's all in there...) Weld shut all extra fittings and weld a AN male fitting for PS return line. PS feed line is already threaded, so no need there. Get new PS lines, custom ones... The fittings on the other end (towards the steering rack) can be reused for these custom lines if removed carefully.

EDIT: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ir-change.html