996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New M2 performance 996tt exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
New M2 performance 996tt exhaust?

Anyone try it? Can't be that bad if it uses resonators instead of cats right? any one with experience? 635 bucks sounds great! http://www.m2performance.net/index.p...st-system.html

Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
dual pass thru mufflers - mehh. huge performance killer there. air comes and literally hits a wall and then goes out the other way. price is very attractive but it has to be made in china with that price tag...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
True but if fabspeed can make power so would this I would think. Plus the Chinese cats are what falls part generally no? I'm pretty sure these are straight resonators. It's definitely got to be loud as **** no?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Prolly Chinese and I do not support China. Stick with 911tuning, SpeedTech, AWE, etc...

Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I suspect the right way to view this exhaust is as a quasi-OEM replacement, although that is probably a stretch with the glut of stock 996TT exhausts available out there for the taking. Meaning, for the guy who wants something visually a bit more appealing than stock, but with questionable performance provenance until proven otherwise.

I will say that it's always good to have choices, so variety isn't a bad thing by itself. However, I'll also say that I saw this phenomenon happen in the Supra world first-hand, and the overall net effect of having 'Chinese' parts on the cars was not really positive. Meaning, the parts would actually work as advertised in some cases, but longevity was questionable and people tended to associate negative thoughts on them come resale time.

A concrete example of what I'm talking about would be if you saw a car with parts like this on it listed for sale, you may go on to think that the owner cut corners in other ways too, so it might be avoided compared to a similar car that was maintained well on an OEM (or proven aftermarket) exhaust system.

For a 996TT enthusiast on a thin budget though, I guess this is good news?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I suspect the right way to view this exhaust is as a quasi-OEM replacement, although that is probably a stretch with the glut of stock 996TT exhausts available out there for the taking. Meaning, for the guy who wants something visually a bit more appealing than stock, but with questionable performance provenance until proven otherwise.

I will say that it's always good to have choices, so variety isn't a bad thing by itself. However, I'll also say that I saw this phenomenon happen in the Supra world first-hand, and the overall net effect of having 'Chinese' parts on the cars was not really positive. Meaning, the parts would actually work as advertised in some cases, but longevity was questionable and people tended to associate negative thoughts on them come resale time.

A concrete example of what I'm talking about would be if you saw a car with parts like this on it listed for sale, you may go on to think that the owner cut corners in other ways too, so it might be avoided compared to a similar car that was maintained well on an OEM (or proven aftermarket) exhaust system.

For a 996TT enthusiast on a thin budget though, I guess this is good news?
OR A SAD REALITY CHECK ?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:10 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you always get what you pay for .

Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Well i bought one for 600 shipped ill do a before and after video with my epl billet k16 setup with stock exhaust. Stay tuned.....

Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Hey, that's really cool Highhats. That is exactly what the community needs to see, good or bad. Thanks for taking one for the team, and I hope you're pleasantly surprised by the results. Will be particularly interesting to see how it does through billet turbos, particularly if you're running over 1 bar of boost pressure. Best wishes.

Originally Posted by unvmy996
Regarding that comment, I think that it's generally true. But, we can see in the Porsche aftermarket world that you really can compare a $2500 exhaust with a $4500 exhaust on the basis of power/torque production, drone levels, quality of welds, and quality of materials used. What cannot be said (yet) is how a $600 exhaust could possibly match up against one of those aforementioned exhausts. I'm not going to hold my breath, but at the same time think we may all be pleasantly surprised, particularly in the OEM versus $600 exhaust comparison. To really make that test extra special, it would be amazing if Highhats could arrange for a third exhaust to be compared of the aftermarket X pipe variety. Wouldn't that be a great comparison? OEM versus $600 versus $2500+ on the same car with the same turbos? Sign me up!

Last edited by Steve Theodore; 11-30-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: More information
Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Tell that to all the Bernie Madoff investors.

All joking aside, I wouldn't expect any magic from these. The picture shows what I would describe as a pretty roughly built exhaust. But at the same time, I wouldn't automatically expect this exhaust to melt off or destroy your vehicle. It takes alot for an exhaust to be completely useless. Larger pipes will make more HP provided the mufflers and cats are not more restrictive. And also as long as the pipes don't take right angles without smooth transitions. A quality 996TT exhaust will cost ~$2000-2500 unless they tack on the BS Porsche tax. To assume a $9000 996TT exhaust is worth $9000 is silly. If you want to believe more money automatically equals better product, than I have some Unobtanium hose clamps that will save you weight. They are only $500 each.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
Tell that to all the Bernie Madoff investors.

All joking aside, I wouldn't expect any magic from these. The picture shows what I would describe as a pretty roughly built exhaust. But at the same time, I wouldn't automatically expect this exhaust to melt off or destroy your vehicle. It takes alot for an exhaust to be completely useless. Larger pipes will make more HP provided the mufflers and cats are not more restrictive. And also as long as the pipes don't take right angles without smooth transitions. A quality 996TT exhaust will cost ~$2000-2500 unless they tack on the BS Porsche tax. To assume a $9000 996TT exhaust is worth $9000 is silly. If you want to believe more money automatically equals better product, than I have some Unobtanium hose clamps that will save you weight. They are only $500 each.
I guess > Some are use to paying the Porsche tax becasuse they might not have had another choice?..
To each his own I guess..lol..

Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
lol with in reason ofcourse, for 600 im sure its made in china. now not saying that all products from china are bad. it just depends what kind of quality control they have.and most of the time its not the greatest , from the kinda of materials being used , the workmanship ,welds etc..

i would spend a little extra and get markskis exhaust ,where i know the welds will be top notch and not come apart after a few thousand miles, and the stainles steel is used is of highest quality.

and it looks pretty and sounds awesome.... but thats just me.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM
You are right and have a point But in most cases we see the extremes.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
i have said this many times; WHY WOULD ANYONE PUT PARTS ON OUR CARS THAT ARE, OR MAY BE WORES THAN STOCK. our cars are high end cars. might as well keep the stock parts on... some, including me, have to learn the hard way.. thankfully for me, i learned after my first exhaust which i paid 1k for used and was lucky to get my $ back.. OP, take your time and save for tried and true parts... thats why you joined the forum , to learn, isn't it? most here have been down "the wasting $ road". its about watching your car turn into something you can be proud of, for me anyway.. good luck on what ever you decide..

Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I know this is off topic..
I had cousin working for GM HQs in the 80s and 90s .
He told us a Cadillac was double the price as a Chevy Impalla but didn't cost no where double to make..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New M2 performance 996tt exhaust?