996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

D.I.Y. 996TT Redneck Engine Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 06:04 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Wow. You sure you were leaking down into the case? you can put oil on the back of the valves to look for bubbles. When you set the timing off the plates on a 996 you swing the adjust all the way left (I will double check that) then tighten . TDC with a chain tension tool in then turn crank 360 and do bank two. I do not use the stomski tool on the turbo cam only the factory plates. You need help/info email me at tim941nyc@gmail.com

Old 04-21-2019, 04:20 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Wow. You sure you were leaking down into the case? you can put oil on the back of the valves to look for bubbles. When you set the timing off the plates on a 996 you swing the adjust all the way left (I will double check that) then tighten . TDC with a chain tension tool in then turn crank 360 and do bank two. I do not use the stomski tool on the turbo cam only the factory plates. You need help/info email me at tim941nyc@gmail.com
100% it was leaking down into the case. I bubble checked the valves and they are perfect. I put some oil in there and it sealed better before it blew all the oil down. The cylinder was fine, I checked it with a bore gauge also. It should be good now with the new rings. I set the timing to 110/110 with the Stomski. With the variocam I just set them to the top of the dwell at each side of the range, which was 93 on one end and 127 on the other. This should do it, the end slots in the cams at TDC and full left are at the exact same angles as the pictures of the plates. It was a pain to get them exactly how I wanted though.

Last edited by brnrdtns; 04-21-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:13 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !

Some have asked for updates. I think I have my issues resolved. I fixed the leak down cylinder and I reset my cams. I double checked my work this time so my settings should be perfect. It is difficult to set the variocam intake cams with the dials but I was able to do it. The variocam swings about 34 degrees, so what you do is set it at the top of the dwell to one stop or the other at 93 or 127. Set back at 110 and see how the dials look and make fine adjustments as needed. You can see that my angles look the same as the plates above, though this is approximate I think it is a reasonable double check. Two of the plates are square so no worries there. I should be able to move quickly now that this is done.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:53 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Is your car back on the road?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 PM
I'm making solid progress. Just have to bolt up a few more things. It's kind of exhausting working all day and then working on this, but it is coming together. I might lift it into the car this weekend. I also have to wire my SRM brushless fuel pump.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:03 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Nice. At least it made it from the kitchen to the garage. Getting there!

Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by s65e90
Nice. At least it made it from the kitchen to the garage. Getting there!
The kitchen got a new project: freestyle standup jet ski engine build.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Hahahhhahaaahaa

Old 10-03-2019, 05:41 PM
TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !
Any updates?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:15 AM
I have it mostly installed. Just need to hook up a few more things. I'm installing the SRM brushless fuel pump also.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Jr2dr is a name known to allJr2dr is a name known to allJr2dr is a name known to allJr2dr is a name known to allJr2dr is a name known to allJr2dr is a name known to all
Can't wait to see you back on the road.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jr2dr
Can't wait to see you back on the road.
Thanks. I'll hit it hard this week.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 PM
I finished installing my new fuel pump and got the car running on the stands. The fuel pump install was challenging, I will post up about how to do that so it is out there. Cam bank 1 is looking good on the Durametric but cam 2 has a bad sensor so I don't know but I'm pretty sure my timing process is correct. I'm going to try to get the sensor going tomorrow. I think I might have gotten it wet and shorted it out when I was cleaning my parts. Everything is looking good though.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:44 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the update, wishing you the best moving forward. Your build thread has and is a great read

Old 11-19-2019, 09:07 PM
I swapped the sensor and that didn't work. I actuated the variocam on the durametric and then the sensor started working. Go figure. Anyways, it works. My understanding is that the timing tolerance is + or - 6 degrees. On cam 1 I am showing +1.8 and on cam 2 I have -2.94. This is apparently well within spec but certainly not the perfection I was striving for. The measurements are at the crank so basically I missed by less than 1 degree on cam 1 and by slightly more on cam 2 at 1.4 degrees or so, which is very close and should not affect performance. I've been reading up that these readings are pretty much all over, even with the factory install because the variocam is pretty slopply. I'd like another try at it sometime but I will run it for now. On with the completion of the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. 996TT Redneck Engine Build Thread.