996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wagner 5.7" intercoolers from ByDesign

Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 AM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Wagner 5.7" intercoolers from ByDesign

i wanted to let everyone know that sam at ByDesign sold me a set of the 5.7" wagner intercoolers for my car. i called him on Wednesday last week, the day before thanksgiving, and he stayed late to get them shipped. i received them the following Monday afternoon! apparently that made me the first person to receive and install them so far.

the install was straight forward. i did use a speed saw to enlarge the openings into the engine compartment due to how big the new silicone hoses were. i did not want to worry about wearing a hole through the silicon over time. overall the install was absolutly problem free with every single bolt hole lining up exactly. all you do is switch the intercooler frame, bolt in the car, hook up hoses and your done.

the kit comes with the 5.7" intercoolers, carbon fiber ducting, silicon hoses, the 2 billet adapters for factory y-pipe and hose clamps.

I can tell you that these transformed my car. i really am glad that i bought them. i love that these got rid of all the factory clip in connections except at the y-pipe. it comes with billet adapters that are a true 2.5" id to attach to the factory y-pipe. i have a speedtech y-pipe so i did not need them, but they are included.

the throttle response is just as good as ever. i was afraid they would increase lag, they did not and i feel that with the overall lower IAT's i maintain a higher level of power longer. i have not retuned yet, i may in the future to get maximum gains. i did not get any CEL's with the change and the same tune. that was a concern of mine that ended up not being a problem at all.

seat of the pants feels like the power comes on harder and never stops even with back to back pulls.

here are a few spirited data logs to show the recovery and thermal efficiency they provide.

comments are appreciated on the data.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1694.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	763.6 KB
ID:	464862  
Attached Files
File Type: xls
wagner 5.7 intercooler run.xls (98.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: xls

Last edited by tradin1; 12-01-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
You made a post a year ago stating you had these too?

Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by s65e90
You made a post a year ago stating you had these too?
not sure what post you are referring to, but wagner just released these and i was the FIRST customer to install them, which was only this week.

i had a set of Blown6 intercoolers prior to this and have had them for prob 10 years and 20k miles. i will be posting them for sale now.

here is a pic of the passenger side as i was working on it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	722.3 KB
ID:	464865  

Last edited by tradin1; 12-01-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:20 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tradin1
not sure what post you are referring too, but wagner just released these and i just got them this week.

i had a set of Blown6 intercooler prior to this and have had them for prob 10 years and 20k miles. i will be posting them for sale now.

Sorry, someone else. Those look like nice cores, I really like new shrouds to not have to chop up the OEM

Old 12-01-2016, 12:23 PM
i agree. wagner did their homework. they literally just bolt right in, aside from i felt like enlarging the holes into the engine compartment for added clearance for the silicon hoses.

and again, i want to stress how great sam was with this transaction over the holidays.

Last edited by tradin1; 12-01-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Should we start a countdown for the 997GTS comments incoming? Lol

Weight? Cost? I'm not able to overwhelm my 4.5 stuff but am curious.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:48 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Wow 5.7", what are your mods?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Thanks for the post and kind words buddy. These of been a long time in the making and it's pretty unanimous from the few people that I've had a chance to test them that they're pretty awesome. Don't get me wrong there are some really great options out there and this is just another one. They are listed at €2990 which is pretty darn close to the dollar now. Tube Fin has a lot of great benefits which is The main reason why the GT2RS coolers work so well. It's well-documented that they have a flow limit and that the caps blow off or leak. Think of this as two of those stacked together with aluminum and tanks and a very well thought out complete package that ducts the air properly through and bolts right up.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by YJosephTT
Wow 5.7", what are your mods?
as for the motor I have arrow rods, ARP head studs and the big europipe loud exh in an otherwise stock motor with an UMW stage 3 kit.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:54 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Nice, those seem like a great option with the shrouds and all.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 PM
oldyeller is an unknown quantity at this point
The shrouds look killer!

Old 12-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Those plug and play ducts are pretty cool.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tradin1
not sure what post you are referring to, but wagner just released these and i was the FIRST customer to install them, which was only this week.

i had a set of Blown6 intercoolers prior to this and have had them for prob 10 years and 20k miles. i will be posting them for sale now.

you definately werent the first to get wagner 5.7" coolers mate ive been running the wagner 5.7" coolers for over 6months.

Best coolers you can buy for the 996T IMO.

Posted an install thread and many many logs months ago

Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by timccloud
you definately werent the first to get wagner 5.7" coolers mate ive been running the wagner 5.7" coolers for over 6months.

Best coolers you can buy for the 996T IMO.

Posted an install thread and many many logs months ago

I stand corrected! I am the first customer of ByDesign that has installed them.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Haha hey Tim I think you got the actual first one. I mentioned to the OP he was one of the first. I know you had great results with them also!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.