996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shift Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Shift Lights

Anyone using a shift light in the 996? If so, could you post pictures, mention brand/model and share pros and cons, etc. - I'm looking for a few winter projects and I would love to install a shift light for 1/4 mile days.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
I don't have one in my Porsche but if I were to install one I would use the same one I have in my 03 KB Cobra. It's called a Raptor shift light. It's small about 1" dia. x 3" long, very bright, and easy to set. It's small so it won't look out of place in a Porsche.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
that sounds like a great mod, A great place would be where the microphone sits on the console. Let us know how you make out.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, JWC. Found it...

Redridge - that's what I was thinking, too. I'm looking for something small to fit in that spot.

Last edited by John D; 11-18-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:18 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
You are welcome. Hey they work like a champ like I said and they are very bright. I saw one on Ebay for $85.00 or so.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:41 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute

Autometer. Programmable with digital tach and shift light.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
http://item.express.ebay.com/STRI-SH...mdZExpressItem

looks cheesy, but I like the modular approach to hide it better.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Renntech,

I am under the impression that 1st gear is rev limited lower than gears 2-6 via ECU programming (I think in the high 5,000-low 6000 RPM range). From your experience, does this interfere with displaying the 1st gear shift point when setting the light at say 6850 RPM's or is it not a problem?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My car (and every car I test drove before I bought mine) hits the rev limit at 6,000 indicated RPM on the tach.

I was told that the engine revs quicker than the tach and that the indicated 6000 is really the redline in first. Basically the tach is too slow. Is this everyone's experience?

Originally Posted by John D II
Renntech,

I am under the impression that 1st gear is rev limited lower than gears 2-6 via ECU programming (I think in the high 5,000-low 6000 RPM range). From your experience, does this interfere with displaying the 1st gear shift point when setting the light at say 6850 RPM's or is it not a problem?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 11-20-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:32 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I have the SPA unit.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:14 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Hello,I would like to buy the raptor performance shift light,does someone know were I can find the tach lead wire and what colour it is in a 996 TT ?
Thanks....

Old 11-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
The SPA unit is very cool because you can set it for different shift points based on the gear. I think three different shift points? This would be good so you set it lower for 1st gear than for 3rd.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:21 AM
I finally installed the Raptor shift light this weekend and I have to say it works great and really enhances the driving experience (for me). Very cool - just floor it and shift when you see the light - works flawlessly. No need to try to guess your RPM's in 1st. For night driving, I modified the black cap which is supposed to be used for total blackout and die cut a 3/32" hole in it. This lets just enough of the light to display to be effective, yet not overpowering. I have it switched for "on-off", so I do not need the black-out cap. The red "night cap" was too big and red for my taste. Now it is like a red laser pointer that blinks when it is time to shift. Perfect.

Here's a video of my test run..I am holding the camera with my right hand while steering and shifting with my left, so the video is not the best, but it gives a good idea of how this unit works - it is actually nicer at night with the small beam... http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89267146&hl=en

I added a few pictures, too - not sure If I will keep it installed like this, but I tried a few locations and this seemed best. I plan to paint the clear lexan mounting strip flat black for a cleaner look and evaluate.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
pretty cool.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:13 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Looks good!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shift Lights