996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Broken Visor Vanity Mirror Cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Broken Visor Vanity Mirror Cover

One of the visor vanity mirror covers just broke at the hinge, so it won't stay in place. Assuming I can buy just the cover, does anyone know how to install the new one?

Below is a photo of (1) the visor cover outside, (2) the inside of the non-broken side of the cover (left side) and (3) the inside of the broken side of the cover (right side).

I'd appreciate any replacement tips. Thanks.

Attached Images    
Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I do not think the cover comes as a separate piece. You may be stuck buying the entire plastic insert as a unit.

#11 is 996 731 903 01 (01C satin black color)
"mirror housing with illumination" M484 (US version)

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 06-03-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 PM
plan-b is on a distinguished road
Mine is broken too. It was broken when I bought the car. I vaguely remember looking into replacing it but remember discovering that you can't buy just the cover. Thankfully, it stays put as long as I'm gentle and careful about flipping it up.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
It seems you can't just buy the cover, so I ordered the unlighted mirror housing for under $20. Also, I ordered the European version, which I'm pretty sure means it comes without the ugly warning sticker that I removed many years ago as soon as I bought the car. I'll then swap out the piece that I need, and still have the mirror lights.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 PM
invius is on a distinguished road
Oggie, Where did you order the unlighted mirror housing for under $20 from? What is the part number?

Thanks,

DS

Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by invius
Oggie, Where did you order the unlighted mirror housing for under $20 from? What is the part number?

Thanks,

DS
Take a look at the link below, from one of the 6-Speedonline sponsors. I ordered from another dealer, but same price. I don't have the part no. because I didn't receive it yet, but this seems to be what I ordered.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...mirrornon.html

Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I had the same thing happen - I fixed it using carbon fibre to reinforce the design. If you guys buy new ones, please send me the broken ones so I can continue to research better repairs...

Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM
So, now I have the replacement visor mirror cover. Anyone know how I can get it onto my visor without breaking the hinges on the new cover?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
You have to be very, very careful that you do not put any stress on the female part of the hinge - then you bend the cover on the side of the male parts and insert it. It is a little easier if you heat it a little with a hair dryer first - don't overheat. The cover side is pretty solid.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Okay, here's what I did.

You don't need to remove the visor or the mirror assembly from the car.

I removed the flap/cover from the part that I bought (986-731-901-00-01C, which as a bonus has no warning sticker).

This is not at all easy. At one point, I was about ready to just cut the frame (which I didn't need) just to get the cover out. Removing the mirror from the frame allowed me to flex the frame around enough to get the divots on the edges of the cover to clear the pins on the frame. You don't need to remove the clips. I saved mine in case those break soon.

Getting the new cover into the frame that was still in the car was easier because the pins are beveled. However, there is s small plastic tab at the hinge side of the cover which has to go between the copper contact tab (this turns on the lights) and the frame. I hadn't noticed this, so I spent some time trying to slip the copper contact tab to the correct position.

It helps if you have someone holding a flashlight so you can see the copper contact while you slide the new cover into the correct position. If you angle the cover slight toward the closed position while pressing it into the pins, that should help.

When the other one breaks, I'll be able to do it much quicker.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
If you pull the sun visor down 3/4 of the way towards the windshield and pull it will slide right out and then you can do the repair in the house.

Look at this:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...r-cover-flaps/

Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
+1 - Much easier to do in the house!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by white99c2
If you pull the sun visor down 3/4 of the way towards the windshield and pull it will slide right out and then you can do the repair in the house.

Look at this:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...r-cover-flaps/
Yeah, lighting is much better in my workshop.