996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Function First Transmission Mount Insert Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 AM
b-man will become famous soon enough
Function First Transmission Mount Insert Review

I had the Function First transmission insert installed a few weeks ago. I went with the softer yellow "70A" street hardness one. Now that I have had it for a while, I wanted to provide some feedback for anyone else considering it. I love it.

As background, my car is a 2002 C2 (manual transmission) with about 226K miles on it. I have also had a B&M short shift kit installed for many years. I am the original owner. For some reason shifting became more difficult recently (maybe over the last 6 months or so).

After the new transmission mount was installed, I immediately noticed a significant difference, even in the first 100 yards of driving. I was surprised. Here were the key differences initially:

(1) Shifting - This was much better/easier, and it's the reason I bought this.
(2) Transmission Noise - There was much more transmission noise (like gear whine), even more than I expected. But I like the sound so I consider this a plus.
(3) Engine Noise - There was also much more exhaust/engine noise. I'm not a big fan of engine/road noise. So I'm not really sure how I feel about this.
(4) The overall stiffness/solid feel when driving the car - The car felt much more stiff/solid. It's almost like I had some minor suspension work done. I was surprised. I would have expected this much difference if I was changing the engine mounts, but not the transmission mount. I clearly don't know anything about the drivetrain geometry and mounting points in these cars.

After about 100-200 miles, I expected this mount to be broken in from what I have heard others say on line. But I didn't notice any difference. I was paying careful attention to what might be perception issues versus reality. I know it's easy for you to get used to something as the new normal. But I really didn't notice any changes due to "breaking in" of the product up to that point in time.

Then I took it on a drive where I drove it very hard (full throttle power slides, very hard braking and cornering, etc.). Immediately after that, I noticed some differences. I guess that broke it in, and it definitely was not my imagination.

After that drive, the shifting improvement was still there and I am very happy with that. I noticed no change with that. The transmission noise and engine noise decreased dramatically. It's hard to quantify, but it may have decreased by about a third or half. I miss the noticeable gear whine. The car still feels stiff/solid, but I'm not sure if it's as stiff as before. I can't tell without doing a little more informal testing.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

With regards to installation, I didn't install this, so I can't say much. But the guy who did (an independent who I trust completely) told me it went in very easily. He said there were no issues at all, and my car has a lot of miles on it (and the original transmission mount). I think there are installation issues with some competitor products which is why I went with the Function First product.

With regards to price, I know $130 seems like a lot for this product. It seemed like a lot to me. But this was the best $130 I've spent in a long time. I would easily buy this product again. Also, I have a little experience with plastic/rubber manufacturing, and I know the molds for these types of products are ridiculously expensive to make. So I don't begrudge the owner(s) for how much they are charging.

For those of you who are cheap (and I have been accused of being cheap), you can consider this a transmission upgrade (significant shifting improvement), exhaust upgrade (increase in engine/exhaust sound), and suspension upgrade (the car definitely feels tighter/stiffer), "all for one low price"

Disclosure: I have no ties to the anyone who sells this product, the company, owner, etc. I was not asked to write this review, nor am I receiving anything in return. No one even knows who I am.

b-man

Last edited by b-man; 09-26-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I also had these installed along with the motor mounts. I can say I have about the same review as you concerning the stiffness and shifting. However, to this point I'm still experiencing a lot of vibration and noise especially above 3K RPM's to a point I may have them removed. I will give it some more time but I really don't expect the vibration will subside to an expectable point. I took it on a long drive on the interstate and the drone was a killer. To do it over, motor mounts only for me. Personally, IMO, I would not recommend these unless you track, DE, or don't mind the excessive vibration, noise and harshness.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
I also had these installed along with the motor mounts. I can say I have about the same review as you concerning the stiffness and shifting. However, to this point I'm still experiencing a lot of vibration and noise especially above 3K RPM's to a point I may have them removed. I will give it some more time but I really don't expect the vibration will subside to an expectable point. I took it on a long drive on the interstate and the drone was a killer. To do it over, motor mounts only for me. Personally, IMO, I would not recommend these unless you track, DE, or don't mind the excessive vibration, noise and harshness.
That's interesting. I'm sorry to hear that. Just to be clear, I still have the stock engine mounts. I went with the new transmission mount insert only, and I'm glad I did.

I considered doing both, but the owner of Function First told me my shifting issues would probably be solved with just the new transmission mount insert. He was right, and to his credit, he didn't try to sell me something I didn't need.

b-man

Old 09-26-2014, 03:43 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Thanks for the review. I'm still trying to get over this statement:

Originally Posted by b-man
As background, my car is a 2002 C2 (manual transmission) with about 226K miles on it. I am the original owner.
b-man
Congrats on being a loyal 996 owner. I think you must've gotten the best value out of anyone with those kinds of miles.

You know I have to ask you if you're on the original motor and if so, if you are on the original IMS? I just would like to see at one point someone that has gone that far on the original motor and IMS so I can reference it to quiet people down sometimes.

Also would be curious if your car is using any oil at those miles?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:58 PM
MiamiC70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
I have yellow FF1 transmission mount insert, X74 suspension and RSS semi-solid engine mounts and daily drive my car with ZERO issue. A bit more NVH yes but it is slight and very livable. Do not confuse a Porsche with a Cadillac this is and should be a sports car.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
You know I have to ask you if you're on the original motor and if so, if you are on the original IMS? I just would like to see at one point someone that has gone that far on the original motor and IMS so I can reference it to quiet people down sometimes.

Also would be curious if your car is using any oil at those miles?
I am actually on my second engine. My first one let go at 142k miles. I never had an IMS issue (with the first or second engine). This tends to support the belief that IMS issues appear more on cars that aren't driven often.

That being said, when I get my clutch replaced (which could be soon), I will probably have one of the IMS upgrade kits installed. I think it's cheap insurance.

My oil use is interesting. With my first engine, I went through 1 quart every 1,600 miles. It was the same consumption from the day I got the car to the day the engine let go. This was also regardless of how I drove it (hard, easy, predominantly highway, predominantly city, break in miles, etc.). It was surprising to me at the time.

On my second engine, I can go 5,000 miles and not even use half a quart of oil. Actually, I don't think I even use a quarter of a quart during those 5,000 miles. It leads me to believe that there are just some 996 engines that use a lot of oil and some that don't. I think it's just luck of the draw.

Back on topic with the transmission mount upgrade, one thing I forgot to mention is that the engine feels much more responsive. This is simply due to the fact that the looseness was taken out of the drivetrain. But the difference is significant.

b-man

Last edited by b-man; 10-02-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:53 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Thanks you, no confusion here. I know what these cars are and what they should be.

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
I have yellow FF1 transmission mount insert, X74 suspension and RSS semi-solid engine mounts and daily drive my car with ZERO issue. A bit more NVH yes but it is slight and very livable. Do not confuse a Porsche with a Cadillac this is and should be a sports car.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:31 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by b-man
I am actually on my second engine. My first one let go at 142k miles.

I think it's just luck of the draw.

b-man
Do you know what the reason was for your first engine failure?

I always theorized from the beginning that some people got defective engines or ones that aren't fully on spec. With the 996 being hand built and the shear amount of volume produced, there was gonna be a good margin of error. It wasn't like Toyota where everything was automated with robots and computers.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Do you know what the reason was for your first engine failure?

I always theorized from the beginning that some people got defective engines or ones that aren't fully on spec. With the 996 being hand built and the shear amount of volume produced, there was gonna be a good margin of error. It wasn't like Toyota where everything was automated with robots and computers.
alpine003, see the last post (which is mine) in this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3470494

b-man

Old 04-08-2017, 06:27 PM
CSlow997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Followup: 6 Month Update on the FF TMI

First off, apologies. I could not for the life of me remember my password (haven't been here in a while) nor could I remember the password for my email account that the "password recovery" email was sent to. So I'm starting over. This might even be a parallel thread, who knows. I'm not much of a forum guy (as marchandi knows). :-)

At any rate...have had the 'Yellow' TMI in the 997.1 C2 for just over 6 months now. It is, in my opinion, the best upgrade BY FAR that I have done to the car. Not "the best upgrade dollar for dollar", but the single best upgrade period.

If I had paid $1500 USD for the feel, performance, and sound that I got I'd still be saying it was WELL worth it.

In my OP I had mentioned that when I got home with the car after picking it up (I was lazy and had my shop install it for me) I immediately picked up the phone and told them that if they didn't start putting that in every P-car that came in they were nuts. (Oddly they hadn't even heard of it, and this is a reputable Porsche shop). I stand by that even more emphatically today.

Gushing aside (maybe I need to get FF to sponsor me, I'm sure it sounds like I'm an employee by now)...

My 2-cents on the details:

1. Noise: Yes, there is an increase in "gear whine". No it's not like being in a cup-car or something, but it does politely hint to all those inside that it is something a bit more serious. It's not bad in my opinion. I like it. Others may not. Even better though is the increase in gutteral "growl". You feel it as much as hear it. I am inclined to think that outside of the car it may be non-existent. It's more like that the loss of slop in the drivetrain is no longer dampening the growl (I have no better word for it). I LOVE it. As has everyone else who has been in the car with me. It is immediately apparent to anyone who has any experience in a similar vehicle. Again it's not overpowering unless you are someone better suited to a limo or an isolation chamber. The plus is that it kicks in right before 3000 RPM's as you throttle it so you enjoy it right up until that great 6000 rev bellow we all know well.

2. Performance: No doubt whatsoever that shifting and power transfer is improved. Do I have any quantifiable data? Of course not. Think about it this way...it's a "little blue pill" for your drive-train. Does that sound better?

3. Longevity: A few people seem to have experienced a slight 'softening' after some driving. I haven't personally noticed any and have 2500 miles on it at least. Maybe it has and I haven't noticed. In any case I am still happy and that works for me.

So there it is...if FF made such a product for my "other" car I wouldn't even think of doing anything to it before I put one in.

Remember...if you don't like it, just take it right out. No OEM parts go anywhere and if anything I can only imagine it saves the wear and tear on that TM bushing...total guess based on logic...I'm sure many on here can and will correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Sorry I took so long to update...and on a weird note I almost ran in to a huge flock (if that's what you call it ) of wild turkeys in the road yesterday. It was weird.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:08 PM
bornrich is on a distinguished road
I have the black version (initial release) for over 2 years. I feel that it is pretty harsh. I have purchased the yellow version but have not installed it yet. I too noticed the increase in exhaust volume. Once I change to the softer one I will report back. I track my car fairly often but the NVH is not an issue there. I hope the yellow will be a happy medium between the two.