996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Rear Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Rear Speaker Upgrade

So I'm done upgrading the dash speakers. My original speakers were messed up and torn - probably due to age. Lots of DIY videos on it and I thank those who posted them.

Now the sound in front is excellent. I used Pioneer coaxials btw. I couldn't find a DIY on how to upgrade the rear speakers though. Tried searching here and Youtube but there's none Can anyone point me to the right DIY for these rear speakers pls?

Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
The rear speakers are the same size as the front dash speakers. You should find that installing the new speakers is a little easier than the dash speakers. Just make sure you follow the same DIY on reusing the frame and mounting the aftermarket speakers into the frame/grille assembly. And check polarity with a multimeter. The impedance is the same as the front dash speakers too. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by b3freak
The rear speakers are the same size as the front dash speakers. You should find that installing the new speakers is a little easier than the dash speakers. Just make sure you follow the same DIY on reusing the frame and mounting the aftermarket speakers into the frame/grille assembly. And check polarity with a multimeter. The impedance is the same as the front dash speakers too. Good luck!
That's great news then b3freak, Thank you! You mean same 4 ohms and 4 inches (10cm) size right? I'll get on it right away then - cheers!

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 03-24-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
That's great news then b3freak, Thank you! You mean same 4 ohms and 4 inches (10cm) size right? I'll get on it right away then - cheers!
Yep, just the same 4 ohm speaker. I just changed mine out. Don't expect a lot of bass from the little speakers but they work. hahaha

Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by b3freak
Yep, just the same 4 ohm speaker. I just changed mine out. Don't expect a lot of bass from the little speakers but they work. hahaha
Thanks B3! No, I wont have any problem with bass back there haha!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 AM
Thanks B3! No, I wont have any problem with bass back there haha!

Wow! That's a nice size bass box.... hope it's bolted down just in case you have to hit the brakes. lol What's your stereo setup? Amp driving the bass box and HU driving the dash and rear speakers?

Old 03-29-2019, 01:26 AM
I did a little carpentry and made sure the box looked like it was flush mounted. Its not bolted - cant seem to find where to mount the bolts without drilling holes :-) Though, if I go on highways and long drives out of the city, I made sure the back rest secures the bass box.

My HU is a Pumpkin Android auto so I can run pretty much everything you can run on your Android smartphone like Spotify, Waze, Google maps, YouTube etc. I still use the orginal factory amp for all the original speakers: dash mids, door subs and rear mid speakers.

Sub box is powered by 2 amps in the front trunk where the old CD changer used to sit: an Alpine powering a pair of 8" Punch subs and the Sound Magus powering the 2 6" Rockford Fosgate subs. Not too much DB here, I just want to 'feel' the bass. I usually soften the music but increase the lower frequencies of the bass.

I have a remote sub volume control mounted under the dash.

I recently changed the front dash speakers to Pioneers and the next project will be the rear speakers - 4" 2 way coaxial Reference Infinity's which I've ordered right after you informed me that they are the same size and same way to install as the dash speakers. They're probably in transit as I write this.

That's all I have. The sub box is pretty much all that was added into the existing system. Just trying to replace those old worn out Bose speakers to get better sound.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:55 AM
Hey B3, I have a quick question for you. Ive just taken out the rear speakers and discovered that the tweeter terminals +/- are factory soldered on to the -/+ of the mid speaker terminals. Please take a look at the picture...

Take a look at the negative tweeter wire going to the positive terminal of the mid speaker terminal. You can see the small + sign on top of the plug silo. This was not the case with the dash speakers where the tweeter positive goes to mid speaker positive and negative goes to negative.

1. Since these speakers have not been tampered with. Is this the way the rear speakers are supposed to be wired?
2. So do I even wire the tweeters or can the new coaxials tweeters do the job and handle the highs/treble?

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 03-30-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:58 AM
This was how the front dash speakers were wired. See the criss-crossed tweeter wires: positive goes to positive and negative goes to negative...

FRONT DASH SPEAKERS

So which wiring connection is the RIGHT one???

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 03-30-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Hey B3, I have a quick question for you. Ive just taken out the rear speakers and discovered that the tweeter terminals +/- are factory soldered on to the -/+ of the mid speaker terminals. Please take a look at the picture...

Take a look at the negative tweeter wire going to the positive terminal of the mid speaker terminal. You can see the small + sign on top of the plug silo. This was not the case with the dash speakers where the tweeter positive goes to mid speaker positive and negative goes to negative.

1. Since these speakers have not been tampered with. Is this the way the rear speakers are supposed to be wired?
2. So do I even wire the tweeters or can the new coaxials tweeters do the job and handle the highs/treble?
1. That is correct wiring... Porsche has the component style speak wired in series not parallel.
2. Remove old tweeter... your new coaxials will be better.

Cheers,
Bobby

Old 04-10-2019, 04:08 PM
robkat is an unknown quantity at this point
you went with a 4 inch speaker for those, 4-ohm, and did you need to do modifications to the cage around it to fit, or was it an easy swap? I am having the exact same issue, all 4 of mine are worn and 2 are blown. Time to replace, but the idiot who had the car prior just added 4 x 5.25 pioneer's in the doors, 2 on each side. So now the car has 8 speakers connected, 4 are blown and I want it all GONE. Just want to install something amazing. It has a nice double din pioneer i'll keep, so i'll add an amp most likely.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2019, 12:33 AM
Thanks Bobby! Cheers!

Old 04-18-2019, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by robkat
you went with a 4 inch speaker for those, 4-ohm, and did you need to do modifications to the cage around it to fit, or was it an easy swap? I am having the exact same issue, all 4 of mine are worn and 2 are blown. Time to replace, but the idiot who had the car prior just added 4 x 5.25 pioneer's in the doors, 2 on each side. So now the car has 8 speakers connected, 4 are blown and I want it all GONE. Just want to install something amazing. It has a nice double din pioneer i'll keep, so i'll add an amp most likely.

Thanks
To answer your 1st question: not an easy swap. Needed to modify the cage to fit the new 4" 4ohms. The door speakers however are subs and if Im not mistaken their size is 5.25. The door subs would be a different mod altogether. Yu need to modify the box inside the door. Not impossible if you have the tools and time. The dash and rear speakers are identical and you need to do the same mod. There are YouTube videos showing how to do this mod. There's a good one done for a Boxster.

So did the idiot modify the dash and rear cages for 5.25's? If thats the case then you can try taking out the 5.25's and replace them with 4" 4 ohm ones. However, it depends on how the former owner modified the cage. He might have dremmeled for the 5.25 and making 4" ones too small.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:54 AM
robkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad install

The guy cut holes in the doors to fit dual 5.25 pioneers that are for midbass, then used crossovers to the front Dash speakers removing the originals and putting dual tweeters in each pod with a homemade bracket.

but the amplifier and most wiring was removed prior, so I’m having to do this all over myself.

basically I bought factory speakers for the front Dash to remove those tweeters, I am going to replace the rears with 4 inch alpine two way, so I won’t need a crossover. The issue is the doors, he had custom fiberglass pods made and they’re falling apart.