996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

A couple hours of work, a couple years younger!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:32 PM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road
A couple hours of work, a couple years younger!

So my factory OEM CF interior has seen it's last days. I ordered all new CF for the ride and some other goodies....

The new CF Map pockets and door pulls are still on the way from MACarbon.

I did the 02+ horseshoe retrofit as well as the lower console. I now have cupholders, new CF horseshoe shiftknob and ebrake, as well as a full black leather lower console as opposed to the gray that came with the 99s.

I added a kenwood 7in touchscreen double din unit(7019) to get me into the current technology...

To retrofit the console I had to cut and modify the ac feed in the dash and I also had to cut the frame to fit a double din unit. Everything went smoothly and as I expected so it made for a fun install. I still have to make a bezel for the headunit and get the AC Surround from Suncoast this week and then she will be done untill the door pieces arrive...

I think the pics will explain!

-Keith

BEFORE:

INSTALL AND AFTER:

I cant wait to get the map pockets and pulls and Im working on a 3-spoke carbon wheel!

-Keith

Old 05-21-2007, 01:39 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
nice work...does your 7019 have customizable backgrounds? I have the 7015 and it does not, so I am looking to upgrade for that feature, and the hi speed iPod interface...I already have the Sirius and Nav.....

Old 05-21-2007, 01:41 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
That's interesting - CF turns yellow? I had no idea.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jox
yup, at least porsche CF does. most CF manufacturers will use epoxy with UV blocking additives or at least spray a clear coat with UV blocker. apparently, looking at the photos and my own CF shift **** and rear center console, porsche CF doesn't have any or is not very effective. i hope they have changed their formula.

Last edited by karlooz; 05-21-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
I saw a bunch of CF pieces a few years ago that came that way (green/yellow hue) from the factory. The only explanation offered was that different batches are different colors. I never quite understood that but everyone seemed to accept that.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by jox
Yea, only a problem that results in a few thousand dollars in repair!

Originally Posted by newport996
nice work...does your 7019 have customizable backgrounds? I have the 7015 and it does not, so I am looking to upgrade for that feature, and the hi speed iPod interface...I already have the Sirius and Nav.....
Yes it does. I have not done it yet but I am going to and I will update the post...

Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
very nice, looks clean!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
wow day and night!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:59 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
icemann- nice job on the kenwood install, the new CF looks great. I just picked up a similar kenwood dnx-7100 and will be installing it this next weekend.
Any tidbits of advice for the gps wiring? particularly, the reverse wire and speed sensor.
what did you use for the 'spacers' underneath the cage? 1/4 or 3/8"" plywood?

I was thinking also, it would be ideal to mount the climate controls in the upper position of the lower console, and have a pocket in the lower slot above the batwing. Was thinking of sacrificing my *useless* cassette holder's trim and attempting to cut out a trim that would fit the climate controls in the upper slot, or use a piece of Metra ABS ( i bought a sheet for cutting out the new trim ring for the Kenwood). Has anyone tried mounting the climate controls in the upper position?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
oh and fyi to newport - I bought the dnx 7100 since it has USB 2.0 hi-speed connectivity, meaning, I can hook up any 2.5" external hard drive to the 7100's USB input and it will list / play all of the songs or movies on it- I have an 80gb laptop drive in an external USB case loaded up and ready to go!
The other reason, if it is important to you, is the Nav supposedly works very well and has a great UI (Garmin).

Downside on the 7100 is no customizeable backgrounds as far as i know-

Old 05-21-2007, 09:33 PM
porschenut911 is on a distinguished road
Most excellent mod, nicely done!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
icemann- nice job on the kenwood install, the new CF looks great. I just picked up a similar kenwood dnx-7100 and will be installing it this next weekend.
Any tidbits of advice for the gps wiring? particularly, the reverse wire and speed sensor.
what did you use for the 'spacers' underneath the cage? 1/4 or 3/8"" plywood?

I was thinking also, it would be ideal to mount the climate controls in the upper position of the lower console, and have a pocket in the lower slot above the batwing. Was thinking of sacrificing my *useless* cassette holder's trim and attempting to cut out a trim that would fit the climate controls in the upper slot, or use a piece of Metra ABS ( i bought a sheet for cutting out the new trim ring for the Kenwood). Has anyone tried mounting the climate controls in the upper position?
I didn't install GPS as I dont see the point in them relative to their cost so I cant comment on that. I used plywood as spacers. You dont HAVE to and it's easier to not, but I wanted the look to be centered. It was 3/8 but I cut it to whatever it needed to be.(didnt measure after)

I too wanted to mount the climate controls where the CD holder is and keep a slot for my phone and wallet but there just wasnt a way to do it without extreme modification. I have an extra lower console and AC display now so I am going to try and fabricate something. I have only seen one person with AC in the upper lower slot. BTW The kenwood will come with ABS Trim Frame...

The 7019 also has a USB port. I can hook up an external HD or my 4GB flash drive(which i prefer) directly to the unit. I ran the USB port down and behind the batwing. I can extend it to wherever I need. I bought the Kenwood new for ~650 on ebay

-Keith

Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
thanks for the added info- going for the centered look as well so I'll dink around with it and post approx measurement. From your pics it looks like the kenwood trim ring filled the gaps up pretty good-

Yeah I was going to not spend the extra $ on the GPS but the 7100 comes with it integrated into the main unit- no external brain to buy or hook up.
GPS runs from flash ram and internal 30gb hard drive so the nav DVD does not need to stay in the unit, a bit more convenient for watching DVD movies.
bought it new for $900 on ebay- Sounds like you got a good deal as well!

As with your unit, I'm going to love the feature of being able to hook up a hard drive full of music or videos- Now that is convenient!!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Tonight I took my old lower console, AC controls, and storage slot and began fabricating so that I can get rid of the CD slot and have a storage pocket with the AC in the top bottom slot...

Everything is going to work out just fine but my dremel's batteries just died as I started to make the trim piece...

Its not hard too do but then again I wasnt affraid of messing up being old parts...

I will keep you updated

-Keith

Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned
Arnee is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you guys tap onto a specific speed wire to get the NAV to work properly? If so, which wire is it? Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A couple hours of work, a couple years younger!