997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

terracota leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Porsh997TT is infamous around these parts
terracota leather

Hi Guys,

For some reason the leather color is getting on my clothes from the seat leather! i dont know how to resolve this problem and the only solution that popped to my head is to get new leather for the damaged areas of the leather. i checked with the dealer and i was told it needs minimum 6 months to get the leather and they wont sell little parts according to my needs.

question 1- how can i get it fixed?

2- where or how can i get terracotta leather asap?

cheers

Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
That is f-ing insane. It should NOT come off on your clothes. That said, it's a natural leather, and it does have dyes in it....are you getting in when your clothes are wet at all? How's the steering wheel and shifter leather - peeling or is dye on your hands? Should NOT happen. Sounds like a bad batch of leather. Have you treated the leather with any chemicals? Exclusive Dept has the leather, and they have bolts of it ready to go - your dealer would need to contact PAG Exclusive and get the leather - but first I'd have a dealer review the issue with a district service advisor to see if they need to replace all of the parts covered in leather.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
That is f-ing insane. It should NOT come off on your clothes. That said, it's a natural leather, and it does have dyes in it....are you getting in when your clothes are wet at all? How's the steering wheel and shifter leather - peeling or is dye on your hands? Should NOT happen. Sounds like a bad batch of leather. Have you treated the leather with any chemicals? Exclusive Dept has the leather, and they have bolts of it ready to go - your dealer would need to contact PAG Exclusive and get the leather - but first I'd have a dealer review the issue with a district service advisor to see if they need to replace all of the parts covered in leather.
Agree with Eric - I've had terracota in 997 turbo and never had any issue with color transfer/bleeding.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
+1 color should not be transferring/bleeding.

should look like a used baseball glove and beautiful.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:38 AM
mathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nice
I've seen blue jeans transferring color to sand-colored seats, but this always came off easily when cleaning the leather with a decent product.
You're actually talking about the other way around, the leather transferring color? That's insane, I've never seen/heard this before.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 AM
bumperpip is infamous around these parts
As Dreamer said, the leather may have been painted (literally) by a "detailer" at a dealership or wholesalers' get-ready lot. If the car is used, seats may have new leather "cover kits" on them, perhaps due to previous damage, or smoking in the car. If the latter, the headliner and carpet may have been changed out, too. The process of headliner/carpet/recover can be done in under four hours, out in the back of the lot, by an experienced "healer". Cost to dealer---$1000-1500. Added "value"---$5000 easy. The best of these guys are magicians. But not really what you want, is it ?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
You might try posting this issue in the detailing forum or on one of the many car detailing web sites to get a few more expert opinions. I thought that all modern leather in cars was coated; that uncoated leather has not been used since the 70's.

Since you're in Qatar you could try www.detailingworld.co.uk

Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 AM
bumperpip is infamous around these parts
Slik, you're correct, but we're not talking necessarily about reputable people or products. Since 997 uses different types of leather on seats than doors than dash than etc., it is a simple matter to replace OEM seat leather with accurate COLOR match kit for seats only. Poor quality will only become apparent too much later. As would painted/treated/re-dyed seats.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Dreamer11
also: Hate too, but have to ask...have you owned car since new? If the seat leather has been "repaired", or refinished- this is usually painted on, and have seen that come off under normal use...

thanks everyone for your kind efforts

i have some parts of the leather worn out cuz of the jeans and some jackets with zipper rubbing the seat in my way in or out of the car

i took the car to a detailer no luck and tried seeing a specialized store for car leather and he was shocked just like everyone else here

ill try the dealer tomorrow even though i hate visiting that dealer, i have to say, the worst dealer ever who tries to suck ur money and give u no service.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Slik560
You might try posting this issue in the detailing forum or on one of the many car detailing web sites to get a few more expert opinions. I thought that all modern leather in cars was coated; that uncoated leather has not been used since the 70's.

Since you're in Qatar you could try www.detailingworld.co.uk

thanks silk, ill check them out

Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
DCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond repute
terracota leather

We actually have terracota leather in our factory, but even we give you a small piece of leather, how you gonna fix the problem?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by DCTMOTORSPORTS
We actually have terracota leather in our factory, but even we give you a small piece of leather, how you gonna fix the problem?

sorry for the late reply as i wasa traveling.

i was thinking of replacing the damaged patch which is in the backrest, the outside part of the side support (sport seat).

Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM
llngoc is infamous around these parts
Not sure if this is relevant.

My wife is an avid purse collector and she's actually found that some purse does transfer some color to other clothing occasionally or even another another purse if stored (incorrectly) pressing together. And this is for *very* high end purses. So I guess it is not entirely impossible under the "correct" condition.