997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Area Under the Curve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
2.9 60-100!!! Nice work! What technique did you use? e.g. did you start at 55mph and then stomp on it?
I used to be able to run 3rd gear pull on the tip through to 4th gear. However with the new set up, boost starts to hit around 3300 (meaniful boost that is e.g. 0.6), so 3rd gear is not the right way.

So I was in 2nd gear around 45mph and then shifted 73mph and then at 125mph approx. So two shifts.

Have ramped the boost up a little more now. Didn't have the vbox on yesterday but she will be well in to the 5 seconds. Expect to hit 2.4/2.5 from 60-100. 100-200 was 5.2 seconds on that run.

As I said, just running her in so trying to be gentle at the moment.

Ken

Last edited by 996ttalot; 07-16-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
I was just saying ..certainly wasn't trying to incite anything. Personally I think Todd is a great tuner and runs his buisness top notch. I PROMISE everybody to have P-box #'s by Monday...
So did you get ant results yet?

Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Lol, I'll have some results up first I think.

Ken, that is a beast you have! Mike too! I've gotten into the high 6s/low 7s for 100-200 with a/c on in just 4th gear in temps over 80F and it feels FAAAST. Can just imagine how low 5s feel.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Lol, I'll have some results up first I think.

Ken, that is a beast you have! Mike too! I've gotten into the high 6s/low 7s for 100-200 with a/c on in just 4th gear in temps over 80F and it feels FAAAST. Can just imagine how low 5s feel.
Once I got near level you are experiencing now my butt dyno was just stuck on FAST. Improvements after that had to be measured with the PBox. Honestly, I cant tell a 6 sec 60-130 from a 5 sec one without looking! LOL!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Mike, I'm glad you mentioned that. I was actually wondering what is considered a "noticeable" improvement once you get to a certain power level. I think I read that race gas with appropriate tune will knock 0.3 to 0.5s off a 100-200km/hr time. Doesn't sound like much but apparently the butt dyno says that racegas makes the car feel a lot stronger (with appropriate tune).

So the message I get is don't spend money to "only" get 0.5-1s knocked off the time. Wait till something comes around that offers substantial improvement such as 1-2s off the time. Now obviously once you get to low numbers the incremental improvements will be harder to get.

As an aside, I have also discovered that there is a definite technique to get the best times. I had originally tried to keep conditions the same by starting the 100-200 timed run at around 98km/hr then stomping on it. That would simulate real-world results (for example if you were on the track next to another car that wanted to race) as opposed to a paper victory by having the best time. Cars like the Viper and presumably Z06/ZR1 would probably take off from a roll whereas turbo cars have to wait a little bit for boost to build even when in the correct gear. I would like to see results for our cars from a roll of 100-200 or 60-130mph without building boost but that's not likely to happen and I bet the numbers would be a little less impressive for most of us.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Mike, I'm glad you mentioned that. I was actually wondering what is considered a "noticeable" improvement once you get to a certain power level. I think I read that race gas with appropriate tune will knock 0.3 to 0.5s off a 100-200km/hr time. Doesn't sound like much but apparently the butt dyno says that racegas makes the car feel a lot stronger (with appropriate tune).

So the message I get is don't spend money to "only" get 0.5-1s knocked off the time. Wait till something comes around that offers substantial improvement such as 1-2s off the time. Now obviously once you get to low numbers the incremental improvements will be harder to get.

As an aside, I have also discovered that there is a definite technique to get the best times. I had originally tried to keep conditions the same by starting the 100-200 timed run at around 98km/hr then stomping on it. That would simulate real-world results (for example if you were on the track next to another car that wanted to race) as opposed to a paper victory by having the best time. Cars like the Viper and presumably Z06/ZR1 would probably take off from a roll whereas turbo cars have to wait a little bit for boost to build even when in the correct gear. I would like to see results for our cars from a roll of 100-200 or 60-130mph without building boost but that's not likely to happen and I bet the numbers would be a little less impressive for most of us.
The no time for boost build up method undoubtedly gives you realistic roll on numbers but since no one else ran them that way, it unnecessarily handicaps your car. I would run a few from 2K in fourth gear to see if they are any better and to give yourself an apples to apples comparison with other cars. You might also try some third gear starts to see if your car likes that method better. Just a thought...

Old 07-24-2011, 12:44 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
HP AUC from Dynos

Here are some HP AUCs calculated (3000-7200 rpm) for some big HP *****'s. Dynos were simulated from data taken from dynos published on this forum. Actual dynos used for the simulation are attached. As always, the results are open for interpretation....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AUCSwitzerDyno_zps1173c027.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	302151   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUCDynoKPG_zps848f9712.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	302152   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUCTopGun_zps9fadcd51.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	302153   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChampionMustangAUC_zpsdddb16b4.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	302154  
Attached Images     

Last edited by TTdude; 11-17-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Can't wait to see ttdude-e85 AUC data! And a pic of the smile on your face.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Yeah, I'm kinda curious too! It will interesting to crunch the numbers.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Hey TTdude....whose R911 car is that?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Hey TTdude....whose R911 car is that?
Not sure Tom. Just pulled it off a Switzer thread, https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r911-dyno.html

Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
I don't think the R911 owner is a member here.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Not sure Tom. Just pulled it off a Switzer thread, https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r911-dyno.html
Gotcha. BTW...I should have some datalogs of our 3.8L GT2 with the 68mm VTG's for you within the next 2 weeks or so. We're about a week out from installing the motor, then onto the dyno for tuning. Barring any unforseen snags...things are looking good there.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Gotcha. BTW...I should have some datalogs of our 3.8L GT2 with the 68mm VTG's for you within the next 2 weeks or so. We're about a week out from installing the motor, then onto the dyno for tuning. Barring any unforseen snags...things are looking good there.
That would be awesome!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TTdude
That would be awesome!
You got it. In the meantime I'm trying to dig up some logs from our 997TT that we ran 778 awhp with. If I can find 'em I'll email them over to you...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Area Under the Curve