997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Area Under the Curve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Interesting data with the 68mm VTGs!
They really have great pull up top, especially for a VTG.
Kudos to Champion!

I hope to be sending a new datalog next week. Todd Z has written a new file which hopefully will give me some extra power up top. We shall see...
Dang Mike. You're going work those little A28s to death--lol. And I thought your set-up was already optimized to the max! Good going!

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Oh...let me translate Louis' note there. OK..so basically on any of our 68mm VTG kits, we always use our carbon inlet pipes (they're required). With the combo of the two, we also use modified MAF housings to allow the MAF's to increase their range. The particular datalog we sent you was from a car that had the stock MAF housings in place so that you could make an apples to apples comparison to other cars. I hope that clarifies it a little...
Thanks for the clarification Tom. Your set-up is truly impressive! Congrats.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
Guys these 68mm hit so hard you would not believe 2nd & 3rd gear pulls harder than 1st gear on my old 63.5 tuned from Todd K

Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
Guys these 68mm hit so hard you would not believe 2nd & 3rd gear pulls harder than 1st gear on my old 63.5 tuned from Todd K
What's your point? Hmmm....$25K+ vs $10K (if that). I would hope so. When are you going to post some verified vbox times? That way we can actually see some Gs.

Last edited by TTdude; 06-28-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
Sounds impressive! But then again the butt-o-meter is not a calibrated measurement (well at least mine isn't). Milou made a 60-130 run of 6.3s or so which implies that the "puny" 63.5 wheel is quite capable. Let's see you beat that! Still waiting for your pbox numbers! (Cue the sound of crickets).

Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
Thought that poster from Turkey already ran 5.5s with a champion car?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes he did with two on board. Very impressive indeed. It would interesting to see what the times would be with one on board.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
What's your point? Hmmm....$25K+ vs $10K (if that). I would hope so. When are you going to post some verified vbox times? That way we can actually see some Gs.
With all due respect Dave, if you start with a bone stock car, there's no way the Proto upgrade is $10k...I've priced it out. Our $25k gets you a complete kit, completely different turbo, and tons of carbon parts too. When you look at what parts are included in our kit (everything pictured below), it's one hell of a value, especially if you shop around. Apples to oranges.

http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...-997t-1-pk.htm

Originally Posted by The Bogg
Sounds impressive! But then again the butt-o-meter is not a calibrated measurement (well at least mine isn't). Milou made a 60-130 run of 6.3s or so which implies that the "puny" 63.5 wheel is quite capable. Let's see you beat that! Still waiting for your pbox numbers! (Cue the sound of crickets).
Hey Bogg....check the official 6Speed rankings for username KerCar....he's got the exact same package as AroneTT. He ran 5.50....also QUITE capable.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
With all due respect Dave, if you start with a bone stock car, there's no way the Proto upgrade is $10k...I've priced it out. Our $25k gets you a complete kit, completely different turbo, and tons of carbon parts too. When you look at what parts are included in our kit (everything pictured below), it's one hell of a value, especially if you shop around. Apples to oranges.
Totally agree Tom, apples to oranges which is why I don't understand the specific reference to another tuner except perhaps to incite something. Your AUC curve justifies your fast times that for sure. And I didn't even measure it out to 7200 which is about where you would be at 130 mph. As for pricing, you'd have to check with Proto for exact numbers but here was my thinking. Tune is $3K, .2ICs $1K, clutch $2K, turbos $2K that adds up to $8K in parts, then another $2K for install for a total of $10K. This will get you below 7s, 60-130. Not bad, but I agree your package is also a great value and you get a whole lot of performance. It's good to have all these terrific options. PS I forgot to add in the exhaust but the main point is different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by TTdude; 06-28-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to add in exhaust
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I don't mean any disrespect but I was hoping to see the numbers replicated in North America. I understand that it was a VERIFIED number just like Skand's numbers with the APR tune but interestingly those numbers were never replicated by anyone in NA as far as I know. Why does that matter? It shouldn't really but nonetheless I'd still like to see it since there are a number of cars here in NA with the package.

It's no secret that I've just purchased a set of Proto upgraded vtgs. I'll keep them for a couple of years and if I crave more power then these 68 vtgs are interesting to me b/c they provide the performance of Alphas while retaining stock boost control, which I prefer.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Asher,

FWIW, one of the people involved in testing the CMS car in Turkey is known to me personally and is very credible. He confirmed to me the validity of those numbers.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
^^ Agreed 100%. Options are a good thing. True...you could put that package together for that price, but that package could not compete with what we offer from a performance standpoint. There's just too many parts missing....headers, better IC's, y-pipe, plenum/TB.

To do it apples to apples from a performance perspective, you'd have to compare ours to a GT30-based kit. Then the gap in pricing certainly goes away....in fact we'd have the advantage on pricing there. And to top it all off...you're still getting a higher level of performance from our 68's. Sorry if I sound a little ****y...but I'm REALLY proud of what we've accomplished with these turbos. I mean, such a high level of performance from a 100% VTG-based and entirely bolt-on power kit is just amazing IMO.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Asher,

FWIW, one of the people involved in testing the CMS car in Turkey is known to me personally and is very credible. He confirmed to me the validity of those numbers.
I don't doubt the numbers, they were verified. But it does make me doubly happy to know you personally vouch for the guy. I'd rep you again but the stinkin' system says I've repped you too much already and need to share the reps with others.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Thanks Asher! That means a lot to me.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Tom,
I don't see the turbo inlet pipes in the picture or as part of the package on your site, how much extra are they?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Tom,
I don't see the turbo inlet pipes in the picture or as part of the package on your site, how much extra are they?
The picture is of our 65mm Billet VTG kit. I posted that picture because a comparison was being made to a standard 63.5mm VTG upgrade kit. Our 65mm kit is the closest we offer to that.

The only additional piece you need with the 68mm kit is the inlet pipes. They are $3495.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Area Under the Curve