997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Keep blowing throttle body coupler off !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 12:35 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Keep blowing throttle body coupler off !

Guys, who has a solution for stock y pipe to throttle body coupler ? I keep blowing mine off, both clamps just slide off and the throttle body doesn't have a lip to grab onto. I even tried t bolts and they are too wide and come off also at 22psi. I am running stock y pipe and larger TB but still stock accordion looking coupler with the metal rings on it.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Raider89 is on a distinguished road
Anxious to hear this since it keeps happening to me at worst times, during track events. Have heard recommendations for hair spray, but trying to understand how to do that in such tight area.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Evolution motorsports does have a solution for this. But if you don't want to go there yet the best thing to do is clean everything with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Make sure all surfaces are lubrication free. You would be surprised what is saturated on the surfaces. Then make sure clamps are aligned perfectly. Sometimes it feels like it's OK but the bottom edge may be a little off and it just walks off. Once you've done all this you can also use some hairspray on the surfaces to sort of make them stick but it won't be permanent. Feel free to give me a buzz during the week and I can help you with it. It's a pain in the *** for sure!

Old 04-10-2016, 01:54 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
I upgraded to a larger clamp (wider than the stock one) when mine finally snapped when I was tightening it the last time it popped off.. So far so good, but I've got a stock y pipe and TB and max of 21 psi.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:01 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Evolution motorsports does have a solution for this. But if you don't want to go there yet the best thing to do is clean everything with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Make sure all surfaces are lubrication free. You would be surprised what is saturated on the surfaces. Then make sure clamps are aligned perfectly. Sometimes it feels like it's OK but the bottom edge may be a little off and it just walks off. Once you've done all this you can also use some hairspray on the surfaces to sort of make them stick but it won't be permanent. Feel free to give me a buzz during the week and I can help you with it. It's a pain in the *** for sure!
^ What he said. Best solution. When tightening, it is very likely the band is moving and sliding out of the groove. It does not take much for it to slip out of the groove and then pop off.

Good luck.

DC

Old 04-10-2016, 06:04 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone make a decent priced aftermarket kit? Or at least the coupler itself ?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by therock88
^ What he said. Best solution. When tightening, it is very likely the band is moving and sliding out of the groove. It does not take much for it to slip out of the groove and then pop off.

Good luck.

DC
This is it, clamps just walk themselves off. The tbolt one also since they are too wide and hang off the edge

Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 AM
ok so i scrubbed all surfaces with MAF cleaner, amazing how much oil is on everything. Then i took my sweet time aligning the tbolt clamps. All good for now, made about a dozen runs and its holding right now. I also removed the metal o rings on the stock coupler. Trick is also not too overtighten the tbolts as that just forces them to start sliding.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cool!