997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:39 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
7200-7300 I think.
Can they not put the ignition pick up on a coil power wire the same as stock? I just reach in to bank 2 and put the pick up on 4/5/6 wire to grab RPM

Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr6tee
Can they not put the ignition pick up on a coil power wire the same as stock? I just reach in to bank 2 and put the pick up on 4/5/6 wire to grab RPM
That would be too easy?

Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Rix,
How much boost did you map with pumpgas?
I guess <18PSI until 5000 and at least 20 above?
Thxs,
P.

Originally Posted by rix
Turbos hit around 4k but the torque limiting sacrifices some power. It hits peak torque around 5,000rpm and does it really smoothly. It's great for traction, but the car would be quicker if I could just let it go.

Here's the 93 octane dyno graph. Because I have the M&W Ignition they didn't have the right tach adapter to get RPM on the dyno, but you can do a little math (T =(hp * rpm)/5252) to figure out torque at any given point in the graph.

pump gas dyno pull

Old 10-27-2017, 04:18 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
Rix,
How much boost did you map with pumpgas?
I guess <18PSI until 5000 and at least 20 above?
Thxs,
P.
Actually I'm not sure. Boost is probably pretty flat across the range. I would think around 20psi but I'll have to dig up some datalogs and check.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:14 PM
rix
So there are a few things I wasn't entirely happy with in terms of my car's setup. One of which (I've discussed before) is I was not convinced the BBi exhaust flows enough for the kind of power I'm trying to make. I think it's pretty much the best sounding, looking, and crafted exhaust on the market for the 997. I absolutely love it. But if it's not going to flow enough then it's not going to do the job.

I decided that with the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile rapidly approaching that I'd better load up and head to Houston. WNMP. We Need More Power!

Loaded up and about to strap it down. Where did the tow vehicle go?

Well, it turns out that my wife was not willing to drive my CTS-V Wagon to meet up with her friends, so I had to go pick up the trailer from my storage unit, load the car, and then disconnect the trailer so she could drive the Escalade instead.

I have no idea why she won't drive my CTS-V Wagon. Totally stumped.

Everybody loves the Ghostbusters.

LED Scrolling sign with such inspirational messages as - "Back off man, I'm a Scientist.

So suffice to say when she got home I had to hook the Escalade back up to the trailer before I could go to Houston .

The basic plan was -

1. Install man axles
2. Install Damper pulley (see below)
3. Install ARP flywheel bolts
4. Check clutch wear
5. Run the car on the dyno without the X-section of the exhaust to determine the effect on backpressure.

Something that has been a problem with recent big horsepower builds is the flywheel staying fully torqued down. I have seen it in at least 3 of the high horsepower high RPM builds. There has also been some odd parts breakage on a few engines (chain rails, etc) that have been difficult to pin down. You don't usually hear about it on the forums, people don't like to talk about it when things break. The theory had been vibration issues at high RPM, so we decided to install a damper pulley. Knock on wood since I've been using the heavier flywheel I haven't been seeing any of these problems, but I decided to go ahead with the damper pulley anyway for a little peace of mind. We also decided to install some ARP flywheel bolts to be extra sure the flywheel isn't going anywhere. My engine sees 8000rpm just about every time it is run, which isn't 9000-9500rpm like some of the GT3 top ends, but it's not exactly low RPM either.

These are made by ATI but built to the specifications of a Porsche specific vendor, if you're interested in getting one for your engine I would suggest contacting Steve at DriverSource.

Damper pulley.

Damper Pulley being installed.

DSS Man Axles pre-installation. I also picked up a set of chromoly axle stubs from forum member ProdigyMB.

Chromoly axle stubs.

The clutch wear was about what I had expected. It's a little under halfway to the first shim with about 1500 (very hard) miles on it. Pretty much every time I have it out it's run hard and raced. It looks like the clutch life is going to be around 3000-3500 miles per shim. It only took Steve about two hours to get the trans, clutch, etc. out of the car. It was pretty amazing to watch really. I'd like to get a lift in my garage to drop the trans out for clutch maintenance myself.

Once the car was in the air with the wheels off the the trans came out quick!

Clutch after being pulled for measurements.

The big thing I was interested in seeing was just exactly how restrictive is the exhaust? I have heard anecdotal stories of even 700-800whp cars picking up quite a bit of power swapping to a less restrictive X-pipe design.

BBi X-Pipe

The X-Merge gives it the unique sound, but how much restriction is there in the 4 digit power range?

One of the cool things of visiting DriverSource is all the cars. There are a lot of beautiful cars...Everywhere.

Unfortunately while putting the finishing touches on getting the car ready for the dyno we realized Driveshaft Shop (DSS) forgot to ship the mounting bolts for the new axles. After a little scramble we were able to get DSS to overnight the bolts with early AM delivery and planned on getting on the dyno the following morning.

DSS Man axles "hanging" out waiting for the bolts.

I also snapped a few shots of the car while hanging out and waiting for the axle bolts to come in.

The following morning we got the axle bolts in, all the little odds and ends wrapped up, and the car strapped to the dyno.

Ready to go, X-section removed and testing on (essentially) 3" straight pipes.

More about the dyno in the next post... Spoilers: it picked up more power than I expected.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
DSS and bolt mistakes seem to be very common. I got 996 bolts shipped with mine instead of 997. I had a drag event the next day and had to source new stub axles because I couldn't get the bolts in time.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Pls post info concerning your exhaust research ASAP....since you posted this it has been driving me crazy to know how much hp it is costing you!

Originally Posted by rix
So there are a few things I wasn't entirely happy with in terms of my car's setup. One of which (I've discussed before) is I was not convinced the BBi exhaust flows enough for the kind of power I'm trying to make. I think it's pretty much the best sounding, looking, and crafted exhaust on the market for the 997. I absolutely love it. But if it's not going to flow enough then it's not going to do the job.

I decided that with the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile rapidly approaching that I'd better load up and head to Houston. WNMP. We Need More Power!

Loaded up and about to strap it down. Where did the tow vehicle go?

Well, it turns out that my wife was not willing to drive my CTS-V Wagon to meet up with her friends, so I had to go pick up the trailer from my storage unit, load the car, and then disconnect the trailer so she could drive the Escalade instead.

I have no idea why she won't drive my CTS-V Wagon. Totally stumped.

Everybody loves the Ghostbusters.

LED Scrolling sign with such inspirational messages as - "Back off man, I'm a Scientist.

So suffice to say when she got home I had to hook the Escalade back up to the trailer before I could go to Houston .

The basic plan was -

1. Install man axles
2. Install Damper pulley (see below)
3. Install ARP flywheel bolts
4. Check clutch wear
5. Run the car on the dyno without the X-section of the exhaust to determine the effect on backpressure.

Something that has been a problem with recent big horsepower builds is the flywheel staying fully torqued down. I have seen it in at least 3 of the high horsepower high RPM builds. There has also been some odd parts breakage on a few engines (chain rails, etc) that have been difficult to pin down. You don't usually hear about it on the forums, people don't like to talk about it when things break. The theory had been vibration issues at high RPM, so we decided to install a damper pulley. Knock on wood since I've been using the heavier flywheel I haven't been seeing any of these problems, but I decided to go ahead with the damper pulley anyway for a little peace of mind. We also decided to install some ARP flywheel bolts to be extra sure the flywheel isn't going anywhere. My engine sees 8000rpm just about every time it is run, which isn't 9000-9500rpm like some of the GT3 top ends, but it's not exactly low RPM either.

These are made by ATI but built to the specifications of a Porsche specific vendor, if you're interested in getting one for your engine I would suggest contacting Steve at DriverSource.

Damper pulley.

Damper Pulley being installed.

DSS Man Axles pre-installation. I also picked up a set of chromoly axle stubs from forum member ProdigyMB.

Chromoly axle stubs.

The clutch wear was about what I had expected. It's a little under halfway to the first shim with about 1500 (very hard) miles on it. Pretty much every time I have it out it's run hard and raced. It looks like the clutch life is going to be around 3000-3500 miles per shim. It only took Steve about two hours to get the trans, clutch, etc. out of the car. It was pretty amazing to watch really. I'd like to get a lift in my garage to drop the trans out for clutch maintenance myself.

Once the car was in the air with the wheels off the the trans came out quick!

Clutch after being pulled for measurements.

The big thing I was interested in seeing was just exactly how restrictive is the exhaust? I have heard anecdotal stories of even 700-800whp cars picking up quite a bit of power swapping to a less restrictive X-pipe design.

BBi X-Pipe

The X-Merge gives it the unique sound, but how much restriction is there in the 4 digit power range?

One of the cool things of visiting DriverSource is all the cars. There are a lot of beautiful cars...Everywhere.

Unfortunately while putting the finishing touches on getting the car ready for the dyno we realized Driveshaft Shop (DSS) forgot to ship the mounting bolts for the new axles. After a little scramble we were able to get DSS to overnight the bolts with early AM delivery and planned on getting on the dyno the following morning.

DSS Man axles "hanging" out waiting for the bolts.

I also snapped a few shots of the car while hanging out and waiting for the axle bolts to come in.

The following morning we got the axle bolts in, all the little odds and ends wrapped up, and the car strapped to the dyno.

Ready to go, X-section removed and testing on (essentially) 3" straight pipes.

More about the dyno in the next post... Spoilers: it picked up more power than I expected.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:03 AM
rix
Bobby I'm guessing you're wondering because you're running the Speedtech X. Actually if you go and look at the Speedtech website you can see the X-pipe design -

http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/ast1_013.htm

It looks the same as my BBi in terms of how the X overlaps. Funny part is, the red car (first picture on their site) with the blue garage floor is my car a couple years ago .

I'm not 100% sure where the point it becomes a restriction is, but I think it is around 800-900whp where it starts becoming a restriction. That's not entirely a scientific guess on my part, more of an educated guess.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:17 PM
vietjdmboi is on a distinguished road
what are your plans for exhaust now? what about another masterpiece from unobtanium?

Old 11-27-2017, 02:37 AM
rix
For now I'm going to stick with the Protomotive exhaust. Funny enough the BBi tips still fit on it.

When someone says "That's all the boost" sometimes you wonder if they are serious.
With the BBi exhaust the most boost the car would make at the top of 3rd/4th/5th gear was ~27psi. Now with the Protomotive exhaust it is making a little over 30psi. I also saw a pretty significant pick up between Texas Invitational and the WannaGoFast Half Mile in both 60-130 and 100-150 times. The car "only" went 191 in the half so I didn't get a 100-200 time.

I also launched the car like I was in the Costco parking lot on a weekend... So I know there is more there. We got rained out on Sunday so I didn't get to make a full anger pass.

Sorry I fell off the wagon with the holiday, I have some VBOX files and some dyno plots to share this week.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:54 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
For now I'm going to stick with the Protomotive exhaust. Funny enough the BBi tips still fit on it.

When someone says "That's all the boost" sometimes you wonder if they are serious.
With the BBi exhaust the most boost the car would make at the top of 3rd/4th/5th gear was ~27psi. Now with the Protomotive exhaust it is making a little over 30psi. I also saw a pretty significant pick up between Texas Invitational and the WannaGoFast Half Mile in both 60-130 and 100-150 times. The car "only" went 191 in the half so I didn't get a 100-200 time.

I also launched the car like I was in the Costco parking lot on a weekend... So I know there is more there. We got rained out on Sunday so I didn't get to make a full anger pass.

Sorry I fell off the wagon with the holiday, I have some VBOX files and some dyno plots to share this week.
I also run the Proto Xpipe 3' and am really happy with it vs others I tried both in terms of power and sound. (vs my ex FVD, Cargraphic and even friend's Akrapovic).
I ran a 100-200 in 3.8' and 60-130 in 4.5' yesterday, only one run and my best ever! (6°C AT - 24psi)
Can't wait to see your files and plots, might be flying!

Old 11-28-2017, 12:12 AM
rix
Originally Posted by K24F
I also run the Proto Xpipe 3' and am really happy with it vs others I tried both in terms of power and sound. (vs my ex FVD, Cargraphic and even friend's Akrapovic).
I ran a 100-200 in 3.8' and 60-130 in 4.5' yesterday, only one run and my best ever! (6°C AT - 24psi)
Can't wait to see your files and plots, might be flying!
Protomotive is on to something. The Speedtech/BBi design doesn't cut it above 1000whp. Interestingly enough the Protomotive is quieter, but it maintains the same angry sound. It may not be super sexy visually but it's getting the job done.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:29 AM
rix
Here's some graphs for 60-130mph, 100-150mph, and half mile.

60-130 2 shifts

100-150mph 2 shifts

Full Half Mile

I know I could go out and do a 60-130 starting in third gear and probably get into the 3 second range, but that doesn't seem useful compared to how the car is used. Unless you're doing a 40 roll as your usual race method then I don't see the point in trying to cherry pick the conditions to get the best graph results from 60-130. I would like to get a Rader trans in it, that would actually make the car substantially quicker.

I think there's still substantially more in it. Obviously I was super conservative off the line not wanting to break things. I also just wanted to get a run and see what it would do, thinking I had the entire day Sunday to go for 200mph. Unfortunately we got rained out on Sunday.

I'm running up against the most boost the small TiAL internally wastegate housings will let me run on the 1bar springs among other things. Going to change the springs to see if I can hold 3-4psi more boost all the way across for the next race.

Last edited by rix; 11-28-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 AM
rix
Here are some pictures from Texas Invitational in October:

There wasn't much from WannaGoFast since it got cut short, but here's a couple I liked:

Hanging out with the Nth Moto guys.

Parked with Anthony Taylor's (Yumaverick) Nth Moto Superleggera.

Firestarter!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats man, this car is absolutely flying...

So what ballpark whp would get that sub 4.5 60-130 ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121