Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch - Page 6 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 997 Turbo / GT2
Reload this Page >

Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch

997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch

Old 07-07-2018, 03:48 PM
M3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond repute
Trust me the money is where it is suppose to be on this turbo for the application. The cost of the car is a different issue. I would have spec'ed the turbo the same if I worked on the project

Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
They are basically fine until they’re not LOL. The Forge ones are good. Just make sure well lubed and actuating smooth before install. They also have one that close to the atmosphere if you like we can calibrate for it. Tell Sean I sent you in case your old buddies aren’t around.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Dedicated Customer Service Since 1998. - 310.600.1850 [email protected]
Old 07-07-2018, 04:57 PM
M3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond repute
Obviously put whichever ones you want. The forge option is known to stick, you can do what Sam said. If I was hell bent on spending money on this I would just upgrade the cap to metal and add the stiffer spring which are options for the Borg EFR series. Otherwise I wouldn't bother until I moved to turbos without integrated BOVs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah lately I’ve been telling people if it ain’t broke...

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Moving right along . . . for those who may be interested in doing some updates to your turbos here we have the "By Design" TiAl Sport modified 65mm turbos with HTZ wheel

I chose the 65mm as with E85 I calculated that the stock rods - and fuel system would just about max this turbo out with a little head room left over - did not consider a bigger wheel as I have no immediate plans to build the motor and did not want any additional lag (although some have advised me there is no difference between the lag between a 65mm and a 68mm wheel I find this to make little sense)

Here is the first turbo on the car with my Europipe exhaust - too bad that the rest of the car was not constructed to the same quality level as the Europipe system it is a pure work of art

Finally we have the Torque Solutions boost hoses which I sourced through Sam @ By Design - I like them compared to some other ones at the same price as they have anodized fittings - (not that we can see them on the car) but I felt that was a nice touch and also they are a US based company that designs them so why not support the USA when possible?

A few loose ends remain to be completed should be ready for testing early next week

Old 07-07-2018, 07:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
Looking good! I think the 65 will be great for you. It all comes down to the tuning but there is a difference between them and the 68 we do. The 65 will meet your goals and then some capable of over 750wheel. On the 991 you almost can’t tell the difference in spool but on the 997 I can. Something I’m proud of is between the 997–991 models we have done over 500 sets of these in our spec through TiAL with awesome results longevity and reliability!

The hoses are great as some other great products Torque Solution makes.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Looking good! I think the 65 will be great for you. It all comes down to the tuning but there is a difference between them and the 68 we do. The 65 will meet your goals and then some capable of over 750wheel. On the 991 you almost cant tell the difference in spool but on the 997 I can. Something Im proud of is between the 997991 models we have done over 500 sets of these in our spec through TiAL with awesome results longevity and reliability!

The hoses are great as some other great products Torque Solution makes.

Thank you Sam for your excellent customer service and support

I have learned with turbos that bigger is not always better and I have found that it best to stay with a turbo that suits the goal you have for your project

When I was building various import car projects the number one mistake I used to see people make is not assigning a specific objective for their project when starting and then winding up redoing things over when they found that one part of the system was the weak link

When I get around to changing the stock rods and possibly some minor head modifications I will explore bigger turbo options

I have the type of personality that I have to stay with the small turbo while I have stock rods otherwise I will be pushing things right to the edge . . . . I have already been down that road a few times

Thanks again for all your guidance and support with my power project

Old 07-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Are you planning to do the injectors with the engine in the car? I'm still debating on what to do later this year in regards to swapping to my 1300s. Or I could just stay at the same power and keep my 1kcc but what fun would that be

Old 07-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro View Post
Are you planning to do the injectors with the engine in the car? I'm still debating on what to do later this year in regards to swapping to my 1300s. Or I could just stay at the same power and keep my 1kcc but what fun would that be
The injectors were installed with the air intake tubes and intercoolers out and the back of the engine dropped down - still a very hard job from what I was told - my big hands are not good for that kind of job so I outsourced that mission - from what I was told it was a very high degree of difficulty to do while in the car

I am impressed that you are making that kind of power on the 1K injectors - you must be at the limit of the injector?

My primitive calculations are showing around 820 or so to the wheels as the limit on E85 with the stock fuel system and E85 - maybe more if the fuel pressure regulator is modified

I am not sure about the ability of the stock pump to maintain the flow rate of 800 plus wheel power is you start raising boost levels also. From my experience as you raise boost levels the fuel system has a harder time keeping up a given flow rate as the line pressure keeps increasing higher as you raise the boost

I think everything works out well on the E85 set up for a Stage 4 with ID1300 at a moderate power level - as you start to go beyond that power level you need to start addressing a lot of other parts of the system

Old 07-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Depending on the weather my duty cycle is between 85%-90% at 7krpm. The BSFC is pretty good in my setup. Hard to say on the stock pump using e85, I have numbers from a a technical manual saying it flows 312L/H but no conditions are associated with it I have data of other cars slightly above that. Guessing it's in the 780-820whp range but I don't know for sure. I'm sure someone has flowed them before but I haven't seen any numbers.

Yeah I hear it's quite fun to swap injectors in the car lol. When I did mine I had the engine out. Just debating if I really want to do it again or attempt to do them in the car. My 1300s are just sitting here collecting dust.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:29 PM
I like the turbo inlets - great value for the money - I say support locally designed products

Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Big Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond repute
Nice Build and Thread info.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:43 AM
slavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond repute

Those turbos look like mine! I think you will love them!

Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by slavik View Post

Those turbos look like mine! I think you will love them!
I am having a good time

I am on the break in map - still trying to get rid of all the pump gas awaiting the E85

A few words - I note the genius like tune of Sam @ By Design and how my car runs just like stock with ID1300 injectors and these bigger turbos and turbo inlet tubes

Start up and idle is exceptional

Oddly - my gas mileage has improved - not sure if that is related the spark plug and coil change but I am getting significantly better gas mileage - not that I care - I am actually frustrated trying to get rid of the pump gas as quickly as possible

These turbos even de-tuned give a lot more power on the top end as I am driving them more I am seeing how they flow a lot more air after 5500 to red line than the stock ones while the stock units can be pressed for peak power they will not pull and hold boost to red line like these do a different feel to the car

Next up E85 - went to the station to fill my gas can will drain the tank and then its time to turn up the wick a bit

Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Nice Build and Thread info.
Thank you I am trying to contribute back to the forum as I have found a lot of great info here

One thing additional thing to note - with the turbo wheel change the EP1 is now called the hush puppy = need the EP2 for sure

It is amazing how the wheel change really effected the sound

The only sound I hear now is my rear tires attaching the pavement with brutal force

I am enjoying the new found power

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.