997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A Fremont California Porsche Dealer Anger Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
A Fremont California Porsche Dealer Anger Thread

My first experience with a Porsche dealer, so I guess for this type of car, I have little context. However, the GM and salesperson I had were the worst ever. They were fake, condescending, liars (which I guess isn't a new thing) that treated me poorly. I love the car I bought, but in retrospect, I should have walked. Their salesperson who said he'd been selling Porsches for 18 years didn't know the HP on the car? Didn't know how to use the NAV. Didn't know a number of other basic answers to questions. The GM was a dorky, elitist guy that nearly made the whole sale like he was doing me a favor as he bent me over on my trade. Anyway, this is my rant and I hope it will deter at least one person from visiting their dealership. Porsche is one of Fletcher Jones Motorsports dealerships in Fremont. Last but not least, I have to take the car back again b/c they refuse to replace the battery. He just charged it and now it's doing the same thing it did when I brought it in the first time. So, even their service team is lacking.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
That's unfortunate. I only been to the dealer once a few years ago and yes, they are unknowledgeable. They pretty much are all that way in my experience. They just want to sell you something.

About the battery, you bought it used right? There is no warranty on battery. If it was questionable, you should get a due bill from them so they are liable for replacement. Worst case, get a replacement one from Walmart for $70 and it's not hard to put it in.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
They will test it and probably replace it, but the real issue for me is the dealership is more than 25 miles away and it's a pain in the *** to get to because it's over a bridge and in a very congested area. I just have issues with me telling them what them what the problem is and they ignore my thoughts and now I have to go back twice for a simple fix.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
oatmealadam is on a distinguished road
Pfaff Porsche dealer here in Ontario is similar, many service rep's are arrogant and never available ... stay away from all stealerships in general.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
MidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the rough
I've had similar experiences with them in Fremont. Last time I went there I left feeling like they were trying to sell me a sketchy used Yugo. (very slimy) I have no idea how they are still in business. Talk to Randy Hill at Rector in Burlingame. I've bought my last five cars from him (Three Porsches and two Audis) No BS, will work with you on a fair price and knows what he is talking about.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
thor7000 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by oatmealadam
Pfaff Porsche dealer here in Ontario is similar, many service rep's are arrogant and never available ... stay away from all stealerships in general.
Took my wife's Cayenne S in for some warranty issues and they treated me very nice, pretty much replaced everything I had issues with!! but, did go in once with my work clothes driving my company truck and didn't even get a "hello" from anyone there....much different story when I went there with my 997S!!!!

I guess they can be "hit" or "miss"...!!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I cannot agree with the OP, as that is not my experience with Porsche of Fremont (Fletcher Jones) where I purchased and serviced two 911s. They are an excellent dealer and they have a top notch service department.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Bought my Porsche and BMW from Herb Chambers Porsche/BMW in Boston. They were a volume dealer so I presumed I could get the best price but I was initially wary of the service. I was pleasantly surprised to get a good price on both cars and good service on them as well. Still once outside of warranty, it seems more cost effective and convenient to find a independent shop that's much closer to my home and where you can build a relationship with a mechanic - I've done that for both of the cars as well.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
probably someone who works at that dealership with the positive (almost too positive) post.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have found bribing the dealer's service department with a few dozen donuts, when you drop off your car for some work. My dealer has a reputation that they deal poorly with owners of US orgin cars (I am in Canada), and the last time I was in, the service manager waved a $200 bill, that is an excellent ROI IMO!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
I certainly will not doubt Michael's experience. It sounds like they didn't treat him well. However, I bought my car from a guy that bought it from Fremont and had it serviced there. He was very happy with them. I called the service department to ask them about the car. They were happy to help and sent me a copy of all the work that had been done on the car. I found them to be very helpful.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
portside403 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
My first experience with a Porsche dealer, so I guess for this type of car, I have little context. However, the GM and salesperson I had were the worst ever. They were fake, condescending, liars (which I guess isn't a new thing) that treated me poorly. I love the car I bought, but in retrospect, I should have walked. Their salesperson who said he'd been selling Porsches for 18 years didn't know the HP on the car? Didn't know how to use the NAV. Didn't know a number of other basic answers to questions. The GM was a dorky, elitist guy that nearly made the whole sale like he was doing me a favor as he bent me over on my trade. Anyway, this is my rant and I hope it will deter at least one person from visiting their dealership. Porsche is one of Fletcher Jones Motorsports dealerships in Fremont. Last but not least, I have to take the car back again b/c they refuse to replace the battery. He just charged it and now it's doing the same thing it did when I brought it in the first time. So, even their service team is lacking.
OP: Sorry you've had problems with them. I actually visited them several weeks ago and funny enough, test drove the car you bought, among others. Fantastic car - you're a lucky guy.

My search for the right 997 continues.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM
bradyb is on a distinguished road
SF Bay Area higher-end car dealers are all so-so for the most part. If you want to work with a dealership for a new car, go down to the LA area. You'll get much better sales support in every aspect - especially with new cars.

I've had lots-o-experience with Bay Area CA BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche dealer salespeople over the past 15 years and they all have issues - with Fletcher Jones P-car and MBZ leading the pack of the sketchy ones (and yes I'm the idiot that keeps going back over the years thinking they might have changed).

So... you want a used P-car, go private - assuming you've done your homework. You want a new P-car in CA, go to LA and you will notice the difference.

Hope this helps!

B

Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, one of my BMWs was from Steve Thomas BMW near LA (Camarillo) and they were the best I have ever dealt with by far. By the way BradyB, I can get a better deal with a private owner price-wise, but I wanted a CPO. I only buy CPO vehicles.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-15-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
One more thing, I communicated with the GM and he said quote "I'm sorry for your experience and I am determined to turn it around. I will find a way to say thank you for the purchase" He said he would replace something on the car that I had an issue with..until he found out how much it was (GM of a Porsche dealer doesn't know) and you know what he gave me as a consolation prize? Tire valve caps!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Fremont California Porsche Dealer Anger Thread