997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bold Mod- Custom Sport Chrono Pod with Multi Gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Bold! Installed a custom sport chrono pod with a multi-gauge

Pretty sure this is a first.
After my SC installation, I wanted a way to keep on eye on certain OBDII data, as well as AFR and Boost. Since I knew I'd need to install a gauge and 2 controllers to measure the new parameters (AFR and Boost), I figured, well, might as well install a multi-gauge and put it where the OEM Sport Chrono would be- if I had that option, which I don't.

So I ordered the Sport Chrono housing/ shell from my boys at SunCoast, and a 60mm OLED multi-gauge from PLX Devices, along with control units for OBDII, WideBand AFR, and Boost.

Since I didn't already have a dash made for a Sport Chrono unit, installation required a bit of ingenuity.

Here are some pics.
CATTMAN

Attached Images     

Last edited by Cattman; 05-06-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, I definitely give you credit on just going for it, keep everyone updated, looking forward to seeing the progress

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
The steps were:
-Cutting a hole in the dashboard (said a prayer first!) with a round saw blade on a 90 degree drill, to get through the vinyl, foam, and innter plastic layers. Overall it's about 5/8 of an inch thick.
-Cut 4 slits in the dash, into which I inserted the "legs" of the pod.
-Some minor trimming on the edges of the round cutout to make a perfectly tight fit, since the lower side of the pod is not perfectly round, it's an odd shape.
-Securing the legs of the unit to the underside of the dash was the fun part! I wanted a factory fit, so it had to be tight as a drum with no gaps anywhere. Since the dash is not totally flat, this required some ingenuity. You will note that no glue, or adhesive of any kind was needed.

Here are some more photos.
As you can see, it looks great.

Attached Images    

Last edited by Cattman; 05-05-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I have some further final pics when it's all back together again, but here are some highlights:

-The OEM unit is placed facing straight, and the gauge has a rotating bezel in it. Since I have a custom 60mm OLED multi-gauge, I wouldn't be able to use a rotating bezel, so I decided to angle the pod toward me, the driver. I really like how it looks, it's more driver-centric, as it should be.

-This PLX multi-gauge is OLED, so I can customize the look of it, and have it match the OEM dash gauges perfectly, which would in my car, a white background, black units, and a red needle. I can make it any look, color, style, I want. I can have it look like a round gauge, or a graph (with multiple metrics), a simple digital readout for up to 6 metrics at any given time.

I will post more pics shortly, including perhaps a video of the gauge in action. BTW, I can also log data from through this wirelessly via a module and an app for the iPhone. So I can log any OBDII data (like I would with my Durametric logging software) as well as the new modules installed for AFR and Boost. I may likely also install control units for air intake temp both before and after the intercooler. These units are all daisy-chained off of the primary PLX module.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 05-06-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
...I CANNOT believe you put a hole-saw to your dash,LOL!

You are officially 'Messed-up"....
Nice work!

Stacy

Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Love it!

You, sir, have huge *********!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by atr911
Love it!

You, sir, have huge *********!
And bigger huevos...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Huge grapes.

J

Old 05-05-2010, 11:34 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Good job, looks great!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 AM
cyklonz is on a distinguished road
awesome setup. btw where did u get the pedals??

Old 05-06-2010, 04:04 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !

I couldnt do it, but that is clean!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Very nice Cattman! Can't wait to see the final working gauge.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Very clever!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
candyman168 is on a distinguished road
WOW!!! Extremely bold move cutting a hole thru the dash!!! Looks awesome!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Major props to you! Looks great

Edwin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Bold Mod- Custom Sport Chrono Pod with Multi Gauge