997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 battery replacement recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
Cold cranking amps are 1100 vs. 800. Non-maintenance. Direct fit. Porsche Park Place Dallas is recommending them instead of Porsche direct battery as is Suncoast Porsche. My car sits for longer periods, no issues with starts after longer periods. Hope this helps.
Which model # and is it vented? Thanks

Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
fritzcurtis is on a distinguished road
Braille Endurance Series B10049. Group 49. 1520 Cranking Amps. Car turns over much quicker. Also, Right side positive. Same set up as stock. I put one in my Merc S63 as well as the 997S. It tales two batteries one for electronics and smaller one just for starting. Lighter than stock and much more reliable.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Ops. And yes they are vented similar to stock. No adjustment necessary to stock vent hose in both Porsche and Merc.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Are they any DIY instructions on how to replace the battery. I'm thinking of doing a premtive replace. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
tqevo is on a distinguished road
There's a section in the owner's manual that outlines how to replace the battery which I think is pretty well written. I believe it's page 264.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Thx.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gellie
Thx.
And it's heavy so save your back and stand in the trunk when you remove and replace.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Its a five min job. Really easy. Your PSM warning light will come on afterwards but will go off after a few min of driving. Simple DIY.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Here are proper ways to clear the codes after replacing battery, from the repair manuals. Hope this is helpful for DIY.

After connecting the battery. the following work, for example, must be performed before starting to drive the vehicle:

Initializing the steering-angle sensor
The steering angle sensor must be re-initialized. To do this, move the steering at least 20" in a single movement both to the left and right with the engine running.

Then drive the vehicle in a straight line until the PSM warning light goes out. The steering angle sensor segment is recognized again in this process.

Tire pressure monitoring
After completing the required work, drive the vehicle until the tire pressure values are displayed in the instrument cluster.

Teaching power windows
With the vehicle doors closed, teach each of the power windows as follows:
-Actuate the rocker switch to "Close" and fully close the window once.
-Actuate the rocker switch to "Close" again. The upper end position is now stored.
-Actuate the rocker switch to "Open"and fully lower the window once.
-Actuate the rocker switch to "Open" again. The lower end position is now stored.

Last edited by DS997c2s; 01-17-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Is there any way to prevent to codes from showing up? Would hooking up a battery tender to the cigarette help?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Walmart MAXX 94R - exact replacement - $77 plus better warranty than Porsche.
Just replaced mine tonight with the MAXX. $100 with the $9 return of the old Porsche battery.

I did not leave a battery tender setup during the swap as some suggested - that would seem to me to be a hazard to have electricity running into the car when your replacing the battery.

It's a 5 minute job and when done I expected that I might lose the radio station memory but that was intact as well.

Easy to do. Just remember to disconnect the negative cable first and then when reconnecting to connect the positive cable first to avoid killing yourself. Why pay hundreds when $100 will work as good and have a better warranty.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
Braille Endurance Series B10049. Group 49. 1520 Cranking Amps. Car turns over much quicker. Also, Right side positive. Same set up as stock. I put one in my Merc S63 as well as the 997S. It tales two batteries one for electronics and smaller one just for starting. Lighter than stock and much more reliable.
This battery (Braille Endurance Series B10049) weighs 58lb. Why not get an Interstate which weighs 36.7lb?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gellie
Is there any way to prevent to codes from showing up? Would hooking up a battery tender to the cigarette help?
See reply #11 above on this thread.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
I did not leave a battery tender setup during the swap as some suggested - that would seem to me to be a hazard to have electricity running into the car when your replacing the battery....
No hazard if a proper device is used like OEM, CTek or Deltran.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by adias
No hazard if a proper device is used like OEM, CTek or Deltran.
The hazard is if the disconnected + battery cable touches anything conductive since it now has power running through it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 battery replacement recommendation