997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 battery replacement recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The hazard is if the disconnected + battery cable touches anything conductive since it now has power running through it.
Since there's nothing lost with disconnecting all power and there is a chance of electrocuting yourself if the battery tender is plugged in, there doesn't seem to be much point. Unless you get a thrill from the risk!

BTW, I have a OEM battery tender and use it regularly - just not when I'm changing the battery!

Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 AM
johnnyamerica is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

Just replaced my battery myself with all the information from this thread. Used the Walmart everstart maxx H7 after all the reviews (I actually bought the interstate H7, not realizing how much more expensive it was.. paid 180 out the door! then I read the reviews about the walmart version.

One question is that I couldn't find where to plug in this "drain" tube which was connected to the previous battery. There aren't any holes similar to the one from the previous battery on my new battery.

Did you guys connect this drain and what is it for?

TIA for any help.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnnyamerica
Hey guys,

Just replaced my battery myself with all the information from this thread. Used the Walmart everstart maxx H7 after all the reviews (I actually bought the interstate H7, not realizing how much more expensive it was.. paid 180 out the door! then I read the reviews about the walmart version.

One question is that I couldn't find where to plug in this "drain" tube which was connected to the previous battery. There aren't any holes similar to the one from the previous battery on my new battery.

Did you guys connect this drain and what is it for?

TIA for any help.
If the H7 has a venting outlet then yes it should be connected. In an earlier MAXX (the 94R) there were two vent outlets, one on either side of the battery about centered on the side of the top part of the battery. The 94R also came with a small plastic plug to use to close the vent hole not used. Not familiar with the H7.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM
montreal red will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If the H7 has a venting outlet then yes it should be connected. In an earlier MAXX (the 94R) there were two vent outlets, one on either side of the battery about centered on the side of the top part of the battery. The 94R also came with a small plastic plug to use to close the vent hole not used. Not familiar with the H7.
sorry if i am bringing up this thread from the dead but i figured my info might help someone else.

i bought the H7 battery from walmart. on the label of the battery itself, it also says 94R... so clearly the H7 and 94R batteries are the same thing.

the H7 battery has a different looking handle compared to the older 94R. however, it also has 2 vent holes. one on each side. it comes with a plug for you to close the other vent hole that is not in use.

hope this helps. also the prices of the H7 seem to be higher than the old 94R batteries. i paid $118+tax for the battery. note that this was purchased in montreal, canada... US folks might be able to get lower pricing in their local walmart.

Last edited by montreal red; 11-25-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM
mmotte is on a distinguished road
Oem

OEM all the way. Porsche selected this battery for a reason. Stick with it. Preserve the integrity of the car, especially for re-sale. Just did mine. Cost more than a bit extra, but I have piece of mind and no worries about codes haunting me... Horror stories about a recent Mercedes and a cheaper battery replacement, but I'll spare you the gory details. Anyway, who the hell wants to see "Walmart" staring at them every time they check the battery?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mmotte
OEM all the way. Porsche selected this battery for a reason. Stick with it. Preserve the integrity of the car, especially for re-sale. Just did mine. Cost more than a bit extra, but I have piece of mind and no worries about codes haunting me... Horror stories about a recent Mercedes and a cheaper battery replacement, but I'll spare you the gory details. Anyway, who the hell wants to see "Walmart" staring at them every time they check the battery?
"Resale"?? Since aftermarket batteries have real warranties (no mileage minimums as required by Porsche), I can't imagine a Moll battery is going to make one difference on resale. I doubt many buyers, open the hood, open the battery compartment and make a buying decision based on the battery.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Ale_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud of
When the OEM battery died (12V 70Ah 340A) I went for a cheap aftermarket one (12V 80Ah 780A).
When I went to renew the PA, comment of the dealer: "right choice. Definitely better than the overpriced we have to sell".

Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Just my 2 cents.
While I understand the want of specialty batteries for the track, I choose to buy a regular battery from a national chain.
That way, when I have a failure like I did this past summer, a warranty replacement was readily available.
No "special order", no we're not open weekends (when we drive our cars the most), no "that's a special order"
It's a 12 volt car battery. Like any other 12 volt car battery. You want at least 750 CCA.
Unless your running a huge sound system, in which case the more cranking amps the better of course although I think
it defeats the purpose of owning a sports car to put in 500 pounds of stereo.

Last edited by wc11; 12-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mmotte
I agree. I also recommend OEM windshield washer fluid for the same reasons.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
FormerExpert is on a distinguished road
Bought Autocraft Gold battery from Advance Auto in September ( $166 but after online discounts and coupons around $120). Has 7 year warranty, 3 year replacement - 950CA/765 CCA. The battery went totally dead yesterday because the lights were left on, I ran the car by Advance just to have them recheck the battery just because I am overboard. They said it was charging normally and was fine but changed it out no charge just for my peace of mind.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 PM
AllForTheCash will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RickinColorado
I agree. I also recommend OEM windshield washer fluid for the same reasons.

Not sure if it was mentioned on the 5 pages of responses, but in the past I have used Yellow-top batteries (last the life of the car)

Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
smokersteve is on a distinguished road
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by smokersteve

is the wallmart maxx94r now H7?
Yes - get this one or the Interstate equivalent.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...nths+-+765+CCA

Last edited by jhbrennan; 01-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM
smokersteve is on a distinguished road
bump for my list of batteries

Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokersteve
bump for my list of batteries
Come on man Wal-Mart H7. You don't need a list of what not to buy. There has to be a WM close by - about $120 and 3 year replacement warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 battery replacement recommendation