997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
D#MN- Sorry to hear this Cattman. Here's hoping it is fixable without a huge investment in time and $. Very interested in knowing what blew when you figure it out.

Last edited by Volant997; 06-26-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh sorry to hear, sounds like a very confusing and frustrating time for you. Please let us know what happens as the info comes in.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Even with the SC it is possible that one part with a manufacturing defect could have caused the initiation process of a catastrophic failure. Say a rod with trapped inclusions failed along the line of the inclusions. I don't care whose rods you use this can happen. It has happened with rotating parts in jet engines and they are made with vacuum melted/ESR ingots. I've examined that type of failure.

It will be interesting to hear what you find. Is it the chicken or the egg?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Even with the SC it is possible that one part with a manufacturing defect could have caused the initiation process of a catastrophic failure. Say a rod with trapped inclusions failed along the line of the inclusions. I don't care whose rods you use this can happen. It has happened with rotating parts in jet engines and they are made with vacuum melted/ESR ingots. I've examined that type of failure.

It will be interesting to hear what you find. Is it the chicken or the egg?
You are ABSOLUTELY right, Alan. The dissection will tell us a lot, and it may in fact have nothing to do with FI. So far, I can't speculate until the engine is out of the car...

But who knows, maybe this is an opportunity to upgrade the motor to something heartier, and keep the SC on it and increase the boost!
CATTMAN

Old 06-26-2011, 01:23 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Best wishes and very sorry to hear about this. I always believe in "things happen for a reason" occurrences. This may just be the opportunity for you to upgrade the engine to a 4.0 with stronger rods to run even more boost! Again best wishes.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
So sorry to hear that. Best of luck in getting your baby back on the road soon.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Considering all the stories about early 997 (MY 2005) engines it seems to me (IMHO) that stressing the motor w/ a SC in hindsight might not have been a good solution for gaining more performance. That being said I hope you sort out the problem(s) to your satisfaction.

Good Luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:56 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
FWIW....blaktout,even though he had a supercharger as well,went through this and with some extensive digging.....it was found to be unrelated to the supercharger.I cannot remember what it was BUT it was NOT the charger!

Cattman's situation may be,and probably is,totally different from blaktout's.So with a bit of luck hopefully Cattman can/will figure it out and I am sure he will be more than happy to let all of us know......

Good-luck Buddy!

Stacy

Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Oh absolutely, I plan to do a complete "post-mortem" on this engine, and find out precisely what failed, and why. I will as always photo-document the process, and share every and all detail here.

Now I just have to get my head around what to do next. I love my car, it's so perfect after all the mods, so I guess I'll just replace or rebuild the engine and keep it.
CATTMAN

Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
FWIW....blaktout,even though he had a supercharger as well,went through this and with some extensive digging.....it was found to be unrelated to the supercharger.I cannot remember what it was BUT it was NOT the charger!

Cattman's situation may be,and probably is,totally different from blaktout's.So with a bit of luck hopefully Cattman can/will figure it out and I am sure he will be more than happy to let all of us know......

Good-luck Buddy!

Stacy
I did some searching this morning as well. On Jared's car (blaktout) he was running prototype cats, and after running it extensively at the track ( multiple sessions per track day/back to back weekends, near redline RPM's for 20 min straight) the cats could not take the increased EGT's and broke apart, with some fragments getting sucked back into the engine.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 PM
v35
Originally Posted by Cattman
Oh absolutely, I plan to do a complete "post-mortem" on this engine, and find out precisely what failed, and why. I will as always photo-document the process, and share every and all detail here.

Now I just have to get my head around what to do next. I love my car, it's so perfect after all the mods, so I guess I'll just replace or rebuild the engine and keep it.
CATTMAN

The Post-mortem report would definitely be a service to everyone on this forum. I hope it had nothing to do with the LWFW either resulting in a broken crankshaft or something, since I've been looking forward to getting a LWFW. Until then, we can only wait and see what the real culprit is.

I think replace/rebuild of the engine is a good solution, you've built yourself quite the car to keep.

Last edited by v35; 06-26-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by v35
I did some searching this morning as well. On Jared's car (blaktout) he was running prototype cats, and after running it extensively at the track ( multiple sessions per track day/back to back weekends, near redline RPM's for 20 min straight) the cats could not take the increased EGT's and broke apart, with some fragments getting sucked back into the engine.
THAT'S right..........NOW I remember

Nice find!

Stacy

Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by v35
The Post-mortem report would definitely be a service to everyone on this forum. I hope it had nothing to do with the LWFW either resulting in a broken crankshaft or something, since I've been looking forward to getting a LWFW. Until then, we can only wait and see what the real culprit is.

I think replace/rebuild of the engine is a good solution, you've built yourself quite the car to keep.
Cattman,

Once you know what is wrong and you decide that you want to build a motor....I would try and contact LN engineering.I believe they are sleeving the 996 blocks(with steel sleeves)......just not sure they are doing it for our motors but it can't hurt to ask!

Stacy

Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Very sorry to hear! I can't even imaging the level of pain this is.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Catt an, sorry to here about your loss. Things will work out in the end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...