997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
My '05 997S engine is a goner...

Well, I don't know all the details yet, but it looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner, kaput. It has 58k miles on it, with oil changes every 5k miles.

At this point it's too hard to tell what happened without closer examination (which will take place on Monday), but it blew out oil, huge billows of white smoke, and it won't turn over.

What's really disconcerting is that I can't get the crank to move at all, even with a breaker bar.

I have no reason whatsoever to believe that this had anything to do with the SC.

If I can get Porsche to help that'd be great, but if not, I'll have to consider all options, and at this point I don't even know what they include.

I am sad, confused, and worried.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 06-26-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Unhappy

I'm sorry it happened.

What were you doing when it blew?

I very seriously doubt that Porsche will give you any help with the aftermarket supercharger installed.

Last edited by Brando; 06-26-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 AM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Frak...

Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
sorry to hear.........

Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brando
I'm sorry it happened, but I think it had a lot to do with the super charger.
Terry, thanks for your concern.

With all due respect, my friend, while you have a right to your opinion, in this case it's worthless since you are not in the garage with us, have not seen the engine, nor are you a part of taking it apart to see what we are seeing here.

Jumping to immediate conclusions without any information would be foolish. Be patient, we'll know more soon...
CATTMAN

Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear this......
This is the 3rd one I have heard of in 8 months that has had issues...all of which were doing some sort of racing/timed event and I am NOT saying that this only happens when racing!

Did you hear a loud bang or anything else when it went down?
Any signs of power loss before it happened?

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 06-26-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

So I'm not entitled to have an opinion.

Again, very sorry to hear. I hope you get it sorted out.

I'll stay out of your thread.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Hang in there, you'll get it back on the road.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Brando
I very seriously doubt that Porsche will give you any help with the aftermarket supercharger installed.
Thanks for your opinion and concern.
However, there is more to it than you are aware of. I will share more details as they become available.
CATTMAN

Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Dang Cattman hate to hear this...but you had a lot of fun with this engine experimenting with a super charger on a stock 997 engine.

If you remember a guy on the forums that went by blacked out.... he did the super charger thing and the engine blew after a while too. I guess chalk it up to a learning experience.

I don't believe in my opinion that Porsche should or will help out on this due to the aftermarket super charger you installed. Maybe now is the time to build a real engine designed for forced induction....I'm sure you'll come up with something so keep us posted.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear about it and good luck with the troubleshooting and remediation

Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Oh, yes, I agree, Porsche will not replace my engine for free, certainly not, nor should they!
CATTMAN

Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Cattman,

So sorry to hear about your car. Hope you get it sorted out soon, and back on the road! Please do let us know what happened. GL

Ron

Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I guess that is the risk we take with forced induction. PCNA knows my car has a turbo, they said they will have to prove that it's the turbo that causes issues with the engine in order to cover it. They did not say no engine coverage when I asked. So it might be worth trying to contact them if you still have warranty. Good luck, hope all works out in the end. Sucks to hear stories like these.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:35 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Cattman cat you go to a mod friendly dealer maybe it wasent the charger that gernaded the motor hope all works out for you

GL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...