997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
if you have time try to split the case and find out what is actually broken. who knows, it may be repairable, even if such probability is not very high.

probably best solution now is either sell what is left of a car or shop for x51 m97 crate if they are still left. I see 1 m96 engine on ebay but for you it will not work. sometimes there are m97 engines there as well. post an ad in panorama, you may find m97 somewhere for under $10K. it is possible.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-11-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Cattman, you should just find a used engine. Most cars are in front end collisions, and the engine at the back will be fine. Your engine should still have a core swap value. You can talk to your dealer about a remaned or talk to the wreckers that specialize in Porsche. If you buy a new one, you will have to do the new engine break in.

No sense getting a new engine.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
If you go the used engine route, what guarantee is there that the used engine wasn't over reved?

I know that a new one is more expensive and there is the break in period but isn't that safer longer term?

Just asking..................

Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lacrosse
If you go the used engine route, what guarantee is there that the used engine wasn't over reved?

I know that a new one is more expensive and there is the break in period but isn't that safer longer term?

Just asking..................
There are never any guarantees.. It is like anything. I agree with the above post though, I would never put a new engine in that year car. He would be better off finding a nice used example and getting back to enjoying the car.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by btapp
There are never any guarantees.. It is like anything. I agree with the above post though, I would never put a new engine in that year car. He would be better off finding a nice used example and getting back to enjoying the car.

But that is my point. How does one know that you are getting a "nice used example"? I am not being facetious. Can a used engine be purchased that has a complete history?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lacrosse
But that is my point. How does one know that you are getting a "nice used example"? I am not being facetious. Can a used engine be purchased that has a complete history?
I don't believe so unfortunately. I think I would work towards a low mileage used example. This way you are not paying for a brand new motor but you are not buying a high mileage example either that has more opportunity for problems. I just wouldn't buy a new block for a 2005 car personally.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
Update: PCNA will not offer any goodwill on my motor, so my next step is to decide what to do:
-put the car in storage and buy a used Wrangler
-find a used motor
-buy a new crate motor

Sucks.
CATTMAN
Have TPC rebuild your motor with lower compression, forged rods and pistons and turn the boost up!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Have TPC rebuild your motor with lower compression, forged rods and pistons and turn the boost up!
he needs to open up engine first to see what is broken. overall it may be more expensive route than just to buy another M97 from Ebay.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
There are shops that specialize in rebuilding these motors and have good reputations. Here you will get to keep matching engine block (important perhaps for resale down the road) and a warranty. This makes the most sense here imo. 996 forum has a lot of info about rebuilds after ims failures.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
he needs to open up engine first to see what is broken. overall it may be more expensive route than just to buy another M97 from Ebay.
I'm sure that TPC would be willing to break it down if they were going to get a rebuild out of it. Diagnosis is half the battle!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
After going through this once, I would feel more comfortable with a new crate motor, although a used one, albeit with no history and a almost meaningless 30-90 day warrantee would be half the price.

I am willing to diagnose and rebuild this one, but frankly, that makes no sense because it would cost just as much to buy a used one.

Why are some saying it doesn't make sense to put a new motor in this car? The car is in fantastic condition inside and out, it's modified with everything I need and want, and is 100% paid for. Theoretically, with a new engine, I should be able to keep this one on the road (and off the track) for decades...
CATTMAN

Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand why it wouldn't make sense either to put a new engine in an "05 car". Regardless of model year, if you own the car outright, modded it to make it yours, then it makes complete sense to transplant a new heart in it to give it new life and keep it and enjoy it for years to come. I personally would rather pay the premium on a new engine with warranty and updated internals than cut some corners on spending on a used engine with no history. The odds are in favor of the old used engine breaking down again, and by the time you go through all that you've spent as much or more than a new crate engine.

Last edited by v35; 07-11-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Precisely, my friend, well said. IF I go the route I am leaning towards, which is to buy a new X51 crate motor, I will be committing to keep the car forever, as I hope to with my '87 Carrera 3.2.

God willing, these two 911's will form that beginning of a stable, to which I will add a GT3 or 991TT in due course, as finances and opportunity allow. I see no reason whatsoever to sell, anything, ever...
CATTMAN

Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
Precisely, my friend, well said. IF I go the route I am leaning towards, which is to buy a new X51 crate motor, I will be committing to keep the car forever, as I hope to with my '87 Carrera 3.2.

God willing, these two 911's will form that beginning of a stable, to which I will add a GT3 or 991TT in due course, as finances and opportunity allow. I see no reason whatsoever to sell, anything, ever...
CATTMAN
This is the way to go. Get the engine and build a stable.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks, all you guys are great. If only you'd each pitch in a thousand dollars, I'd have my engine in no time!

Call me crazy, but this is where I am:
1.) get a new crate motor, X51 if available
OR
2.) Get this engine rebuilt as either a Turbo or a 4.0 NA

Call me crazy, but right now, option 2 is more interesting. I guess that's the kind of guy I am, always pushing the limits in favor or what's more unique, despite the inherent risk...
CATTMAN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...