Notices
997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
Sponsored by:

Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Cattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by avmike View Post
Thanks for keeping us posted. Defintely want to see how this one ends. Porsche stepping up on an engine that had a SC installed will be the true test of their support behind this defect.
Thanks, brother.
The good news is that although rare, the IMS failure is a known issue among 996 cars and '05 997 cars. It is also provable that an SC has nothing to do with an exploded IMS bearing. But I don't expect it to come to that.
CATTMAN

Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
hey cattman, sorry if i missed somewhere in this thread but do you have an extended warranty (or aftermarket)? i dont have either and was curious if PCNA ever offers to help out with IMS issues even when theyre technically not required to...

Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff View Post
hey cattman, sorry if i missed somewhere in this thread but do you have an extended warranty (or aftermarket)? i dont have either and was curious if PCNA ever offers to help out with IMS issues even when theyre technically not required to...
There have been recorded instances of PCNA's goodwill offering help to those who are past their warranty coverage. It ranges from full replacement to offering the engine only and labor is paid by the consumer. 2 year warranty on new engine and labor in all instances.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Cattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond repute
Correct, PCNA uses an algorithm to determine how much, if any, assistance they will provide. Data fed into that algorithm includes information about the vehicle, as well as the owner.

In my favor are that I am a valuable customer, having owned three 911's, two of which I still own, and all of which receive service at the dealership. Going against me are the mods, and the associated over-revs.
CATTMAN

Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Cattman View Post
Correct, PCNA uses an algorithm to determine how much, if any, assistance they will provide. Data fed into that algorithm includes information about the vehicle, as well as the owner.

In my favor are that I am a valuable customer, having owned three 911's, two of which I still own, and all of which receive service at the dealership. Going against me are the mods, and the associated over-revs.
CATTMAN
Any overrevs higher than range 3? If not then that shouldn't be an issue. Good luck! Hope they come through for you.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 PM
JapaDog is on a distinguished road
it's sad to see your engine gone like that as you are one of the pioneer in modifying our engine and did a lot of "take one for the team"experiment. i hope that you will receive a satisfactory assistance with PCNA.

just a question out of curiousity and i hope i don't come off offensive cattman, have you at one point considered the LN IMS bearing and what is the reason you didn't do the retrofit while you were installing the SC? i thought it would've been an easy DIY for you~

Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
It's ironic, I was actually going to meet with the guys at LN Engineering to learn more about their IMS retrofit later this summer. Was going to do it whilst installing a stage 3 race clutch...
CATTMAN

Old 06-27-2011, 04:44 PM
strat10 will become famous soon enough
Every time I hear of an IMS failure, moves me one step closer to the retrofit bearing.

thanks for sharing.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1 View Post
Any overrevs higher than range 3? If not then that shouldn't be an issue.
rules mine out, then.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 PM
CanuckC4S has a spectacular aura aboutCanuckC4S has a spectacular aura about
CATTMAN, I really felt bad when I heard about this, you don't wish this stuff on anyone especially a FI buddy. I think Jay said it well "considering how much you enjoy modding and tinkering with your car, something tells me you will take this unfortunate set of circumstances and turn it into a positive."
It's good you've found out what the problem is, so you can get over the "what the f*#k is wrong with my car" phase and focusing your attention on a solution.
I think you've already found your solution.
"But who knows, maybe this is an opportunity to upgrade the motor to something heartier, and keep the SC on it and increase the boost!"
Good Luck! I know it will all work out in the end.

Last edited by CanuckC4S; 06-28-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
Cattman, Did you have a M96 or M97 on your 05 997? When I took my 05 to get the bearing retrofit installed, I was told I have the M97 and the retrofit cannot be done. I guess Porsche had two types of engines for MY05..??

Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
justatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond reputejustatoy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jam996 View Post
Cattman, Did you have a M96 or M97 on your 05 997? When I took my 05 to get the bearing retrofit installed, I was told I have the M97 and the retrofit cannot be done. I guess Porsche had two types of engines for MY05..??
Yes they did....I read that on LN engineering's website!

So I am relieved that it was NOT the supercharger.......not that makes any difference to you at this point! BUT it does for me!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jam996 View Post
There was an update made during the 05 model year.You have to look at it to be sure which bearing you have.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Update: PCNA will not offer any goodwill on my motor, so my next step is to decide what to do:
-put the car in storage and buy a used Wrangler
-find a used motor
-buy a new crate motor

Sucks.
CATTMAN

Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I really didn't think the PCNA would offer any help in your situation.

Tough decision for you on what to do next.

Good luck . . . .

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.