Notices
997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
Sponsored by:

Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 PM
RFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond reputeRFFG has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, sorry to hear.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM
crazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond reputecrazycarlitos has a reputation beyond repute
that sucks..

keep us posted !

Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Keep your chin up and keep us posted. I'm sure this will be a very interesting thread to follow.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Very sorry to hear this Cattman. Whatever you do, just don't be like this guy:

http://newslite.tv/2011/06/23/porsch...than-1000.html

Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
I was at the track last week and warned about intermediate shaft failure; the manufacturer has been aware of this problem for several years and has apparently been willing to do the right thing, with enough arm twisting.

I sincerely hope that, whatever the cause, you are able to get some financial relief from the guys at Porsche.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Hey Cattman, I'm really sorry to hear about this situation. Considering how much you enjoy modding and tinkering with your car, something tells me you will take this unfortunate set of circumstances and turn it into a positive. Please keep us updated, I'm sure everthing is going to work out fine in when it's all said and done......

Good luck!

Jay

Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Cattman - I always enjoy your posts... while I don't necessarily "enjoy" this one, I will be very interested to follow as you get into the details of what went wrong.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
John: you can find reasonable deals on used motors. I will be glad to assist in finding one if you need any help.

Regards,

Brian

Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Cattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond repute
After some basic examination, it's been revealed that my engine experienced a catastrophic failure of the IMS bearing.

Here is a look at the oil filter, littered with 2 kinds of metal parts.

All said, I am glad this is the case, as it's a known issue for the early build '05 997S engines, and PCNA has an excellent track record of helping with these scenarios. There is little indication that the SC added stress to this already recognized weak link.

More soon...
CATTMAN

Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Ynot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond reputeYnot has a reputation beyond repute
Good news, I was hoping it was the IMS, now you have a case, hope all works out in the end.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute808c2s has a reputation beyond repute
Good to hear that it was not an s/c issue, but sad to know that your car fell victim to the IMS issue. Hopefully PCNA will pull through for you on this one.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Let us know if PCNA provides some sort of help in this matter.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:18 AM
lig
lig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond reputelig has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear of this bad news. Really considering the LN IMS solution now as a preventive measure.

Good luck on a satisfactory resolution.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lig View Post
Sorry to hear of this bad news. Really considering the LN IMS solution now as a preventive measure.

Good luck on a satisfactory resolution.
+1, now I'm wanting to do the retrofit sooner than later. My mileage is so similar (51k). Like others have said, I hope Porsche comes through with some help.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Thanks for keeping us posted. Defintely want to see how this one ends. Porsche stepping up on an engine that had a SC installed will be the true test of their support behind this defect.

Last edited by avmike; 06-27-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.